Old Kiwi Milk Bar Recipes Please For Food & Drinks

Page 4 / 5
elliehen, Oct 20, 11:04am
timturtle, there were little cakes made in patty tins called 'cheesecakes' - nothing to do with 'cheesecake'. They had a pastry case, a dab of jam in the bottom, a sponge-y filling and a little decorative twist of pastry on the top.

timturtle, Oct 20, 9:43pm
Hi Elliehen, yes i know them well Mum made them and i used to love them too.

rog.e, Oct 21, 1:03am
I uaed to absolutely crave this. Puff pastry sheet with a not too thick layer ofmock crean in the centre with another sheet of cooked puff pastry theniced with a chocolate icing. Sold in oblong pieces andI think the pastry was cut while still warm into the pieces and then filled and iced when cold. ( But maybe they were cut then cooked in seperate pieces. ) Can't believe I was so skinny for so many years yet ate all these concoctions. lol. V

mumsangels3, Oct 24, 6:29am
Crikey the Downunder was under what is now th anz bank and run by Tenica stevens (from 'In The Bag' fame) and her husband. I remember they always had homemade vege soup on the go. The other fav for us kids was the chicken and sour cream rolls (like asparagus rolls). Just going there was a treat

sissybel, Nov 4, 8:00pm
Bump! ! !

maggie62, Nov 5, 12:31am
Let, s not forget MALTED milkshakes and sherbet that came with a licorice straw and choc bombs, candy cigarettes, and gobstoppers. Gawd i feel old.

jessie981, Nov 5, 4:06am
Changing balls. First drinks out were Cola Kist, then Pepsi & Coke Cola. remember the vending maches. you put 6d in & slide the bottle to the end, lifted up & out came the bottle & we could even get a 2d refund on the empty.

lilyfield, Nov 5, 4:13am
cold spaghetty sandwiches-white bread of course--also cold baked bean ones. Eclairs- really decadent stuff.

and eccles cakes

astra7, Nov 5, 4:25am
Wow such a great message topic. . I remember buying hot chips in a punnet with a fried runny egg on the top. And they gave you a toothpick as well. It was the best. My Friday night tea. Does nobody make a great toasted sandwhich these days! ! ! ! Bring back the old , but real food

skin1235, Nov 5, 6:34am
sundaes and banana splits etc, but the thing I remember best was, plain ole instant coffee blonde with two legs ( milk and 2 sugar), still can't figure out why today they can serve teabags and call it tea but cannot do a plain instant coffee - when I drive to town and have to put up with all the lunatics on the road and in the shops and finally have a chance to wedge myself into a tiny chair in some crowded food mall nothing pisses me off more than the crap they serve in a tiny coffee cup, I use a mucket - cross between a mug and a bucket, and it has coffee milk and 2 sugars, no fancy foam, no nutmeg, no pretty design that ends up hanging of the mo, and it takes more than 3 decent gulps to empty too - when I needs me caffeine I needs it, not just the caff

raebea, Nov 7, 8:34am
what a great thread, it brings back so many memories. I too like the quick cup of coffee, eg, instant, instead of all the fussing arround they do now, also I liked my drink with the meal not1/4hour before or 1/4 hour after i have eaten.

unknowndisorder, May 6, 11:13am
Being a jafa is no excuse lol. Then again, I'm a westie, so maybe we were closer to southlanders hehehe. That was my favourite cake as a kid, and everytime we went past the bakery, I'd peer in to see if they had it. It's now a cafe or shop or something, just outside Westfield Henderson, but I still think of their cake when I walk past it. Only thing I didn't like was the icing on the top (I just don't do icing).
Hmmm, picturing it, they had the hard icing, and then a squiggle of chocolate (funny how I loved the squiggle). After over 30 years, I can still picture it. Must make it just because lol :)

ted., May 6, 11:41am
Don't forget cheese rolls. Pinwheel sandwiches... instead of club. Layer bread and fillings and then roll up with greaseproof paper put them in the fridge before cutting. Also cheese and pineapple sandwiches.

ted., May 6, 11:44am
Vienna Coffee which wa just coffee with a huge spludge of whipped cream on the top... . . wow is this bringing back memeories or what.

Mays milkbar in Timaru was the bomblol

letitia, May 6, 12:53pm
Mays in Timaru... that's a blast from the past! My mother would take me there for a treat when she had finished her shopping in town, if I had been well-behaved. Mays pies were the best ever. Does Mays still exist?

puresteam, May 6, 10:31pm
I am from down south and we went to a place in Masterton six months ago they had all the old milkbar food, we all still talk about it today big eclairs etc and the prices where unbelievable just like the old times

griffo4, May 7, 8:31am
The mouse traps we had always had marmite on then the topping of cheese and whatever else that you felt like and we used to come home and put our left over sandwiches in the frying pan after buttering the outsides and they made yummy afternoon snacks
Those flaky pastry cream filled and raspberry icing on top We have a cafe that does them and they are still so nice Yuuuummmm
Sherbert in a small white paper bag and the glass jars of lollies the memories great fun thanks and l hope you do start this up l am sure you will do well

fisher, May 7, 8:46am
anyone remember the "MARDI GRAS" top of Symonds st, Auckers

ted., May 7, 10:02am
Letitia you can get Mays pies in Christchurch, a skuddy ol dairy cnr Hills Rd and Dudley St. Mays still exists in Timaru bit had a bit of a makeover lol.

charli08, May 7, 11:08am
Mays on Stafford Street still exist with a tea room on one side and bakery shop on the other, and according to my parents not much like the olds days now. Mum recalled going to May's after school for a May's pie and a cream doughnut... yum! My brother and I were brought up believing May's pies were the best pies around, but Mum and Dad maintain that they've changed slightly, still taste good to me.

biddy6, May 7, 1:42pm
Mince rolls! !
Must get mince out of freezer tomorrow and have these for Sunday night tea.

white_elephant, May 7, 9:03pm
I remember a salmon salad, a small tin of salmon was put on a plate with half a tomato and a couple of limp lettuce leaves. I liked eating this at a shop in Willis St Wellington, can't remember the name now. We were easily pleased in those days. There were no generous very full sandwich fillings but then again there weren't so many fat people around.

griffo4, May 7, 9:14pm
timturtle l can't see those pics the link doesn't seem to work
They sound really nice l have a foggy memory of something like them but was hoping to see the pics to refresh tired memory, lol

lynaire2, May 8, 11:24am
Good old pie with gravy or the pea pie pud, i rember it on very cold mornings at the Wellington railway cafe.

katalin2, May 9, 11:11am
When we came to NZ in the 1950's from Central Europe our treat was to go to the movies on a Saturday afternoon and then to a milk bar in town for this 'exotic' food- wait for it- either baked beans or spaghetti on toast with tiny sausages-so different to the food we were used to!
Straight from a tin no doubt!