Oysters, something different please.

Page 1 / 2
smallwoods, Oct 5, 9:09am
I get given a punnet of oysters a week, running out of ideas how to have them.
Raw, cooked, crumbed, carpet bagged steak.
Just about to say no thanks to more. lol.( not gunna happen)

sampa, Oct 5, 7:37pm
Steak and oyster pie, oyster fritters/patties , chowder, baked in a cheese sauce, in filo pastry with diced veg/seafood of choice rolled like a swiss roll and baked in oven. In bouillabaisse (tomato based seafood stew type of dish). Oyster stuffing to be used in a roast chicken or perhaps to stuff veg and then bake - large mushrooms, eggplant etc.

Oyster fricassee -

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/oyster-fricassee Oyster stir fry or make your own oyster sauce - http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Oyster-Sauce

Oyster wontons -

http://virtualcities.com/ons/ak/a/aka37013.htm Oysters with pasta - https://louisiana.kitchenandculture.com/recipes/oysters-and-
spaghetti

Google 'oyster pasta' - lots of recipes and variations, something to suit everyone.

Fish fillets folded over oysters and baked. I'm starting to feel like Bubba in Forrest Gump ;-)

if all else fails try this.

https://archive.org/stream/oysterslamodeo00desa#page/n5/mode/2up

little book with 100 different ideas for using up oysters. :)

kay141, Oct 5, 7:43pm
Send them to me. Problem solved.

sampa, Oct 5, 7:57pm
No queue jumping Kay. and after I was so helpful and all.

cleggyboy, Oct 5, 9:07pm
When I was a duck shooter and living close to the Kaipara Harbour, it was not uncommon to have roasted duck with oysters in the stuffing and basking the birds in red wine.
Food for a king.

kay141, Oct 6, 12:50am
You were very helpful but I like my suggestion better.

Shall we take turns, week about?

freesia, Oct 6, 1:38am
oyster chowder.

twindizzy, Oct 6, 3:34am
balsamic

samanya, Oct 6, 5:48am
Oh, to have access to enough oysters that I'd look for different recipes!
I pay $25 + for a dozen in season (they are the best in the world.imo, from Bluff).
I had Pacific oysters in Aussie last week & they were lovely & I'd be able to cope with an ongoing supply & not one would be cooked . drooling with envy . enjoy.

smallwoods, Oct 6, 6:00am
Believe me it wears off, I had the same thing with crays as a kid.
Pauas on the other hand, I have never got sick of, have 2 a week, supplied with the oysters.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not sick of oyster YET.
Will keep those first two replies in mind when I do.
Will try the chowder, don't know why I hadn't thought of that.
The filo sound yum too.

kay141, Oct 6, 6:01am
I wouldn't cook them either.

Life is so unfair at times.

smallwoods, Oct 6, 6:01am
Use different dips different weeks, sometimes raw, sometimes cooked.

smallwoods, Oct 6, 6:05am
Sorry sampa, would have sent a couple of punnets up with the wife, she's heading to Ti Point, left at lunchtime and I've just got home from work.

samanya, Oct 6, 6:14am
Crays & oysters & paua!
OMG . how lucky can you get?
Down here they are all a very special treat.
Whitebait was more common when I was a kid, but that's into very special treat territory now.
I can never understand why we have to pay so much for these delicacies & yet up north, they seem to be so readily available at a reasonable prices . but i guess you are from a 'fishing' background?

smallwoods, Oct 6, 5:42pm
Best place ever for seafood was when we lived in the Sounds in Bay of Many Coves.
Pick up Paua without getting more than your knees wet.
Next best was Tolaga Bay.
Now live in Gissy and don't "fish" so much, but are supplied by friends.

sampa, Oct 6, 8:11pm
What a nice thought, thank-you. We do okay though. just the two of us and I regularly buy fresh fish and shellfish from HBSF and one day I might even be able to convince hubby that the boat can/should go in the water occasionally and - fresh is best!

;-) I'll donate my share, if any should be in need of new homes, to kay and samanya in order to help stop them drooling all over the recipe forum. Gets messy.

kay141, Oct 6, 8:41pm
You are so kind.

Of course, you could keep your share and just wipe the boards.

smallwoods, Oct 7, 1:20am
Someone is dribbling on the screen, my words are all blending because the ink is running.

Wish I was in Nelson some days, used to get buckets of cockles and pipis as a kid can still taste the vinegar.

kay141, Oct 7, 1:26am
I have a cloth. I'll swap it for some oysters.

samanya, Oct 7, 1:35am
Oops, I was hoping you hadn't noticed.

sampa, Oct 7, 3:29am
passes cloth to samanya and kay and hopes for a dribble free board

cleggyboy, Oct 10, 12:43am
Think yourself very lucky, I was in Countdown yesterday and small punnets of "Pacific" oysters was $18 each.
Not many years back I used to pick them by the sugar bags full , back then there was no limit on them.
Now seeing they are being farmed the price has skyrocketed.

smallwoods, Oct 17, 4:59am
Did the chowder with sea food medley and oysters, was yummy as.
I love chowders.

Going to do the filo wrap this weekend.
Cheers keep them coming, I'll keep trying, lol.

rarogal, Oct 20, 11:12pm
You can all have the oysters, but now, if you by any chance get an overabundance of whitebait, I am only too happy to take them off your hands. :)

fifie, Oct 20, 11:41pm
Blue cod and oyster chowder, Devine.