Boiled Oysters in tins - where on earth are they?

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 3:31am
Remember them. I used to do a lovely vol au vent using them. Much cheaper andthe lovely brine went a long way to supplementing a very tasty bechamel base.

Now buzzy and other purists can I tell you that I really prefer them for a vol au vent, but have been using fresh for years as I cannot locate them any more.

I am ordered to do those for an Xmas starter...

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 3:33am
I do NOT MEAN SMOKED ones please.

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 3:34am
Very retro and 80s.

chrisynz, Dec 21, 3:36am
wow thats goingback a long way, i can remember my mun getting themfor her store cupboard, and shes been gone over 20 years

buzzy110, Dec 21, 3:38am
I don't have a problem with canned oysters though I've never tried them myself. I often use canned fish. I didn't know you could get them like you describe. I've only ever had the smoked variety.

And yum. Oyster filled vol-u-vents. Do you add mushrooms to your sauce as well? Who could complain about such deliciousness?

gildon, Dec 21, 4:07am
kulkkulbelle I am with you.Used to use them a lot in a special chicken dish I have made for years and also in choux pastry savouries.Like you have looked in vain in recent years, and the smoked ones are NOT the same.No flavour!!If you ever find anyone who has them, I would love to know.

beaker59, Dec 21, 4:26am
Never seen them myself though do love the smoked ones in a B n E pie. Something tells me the pacifics will be very expensive soon due to problems down on the farms.

falcon-hell, Dec 21, 4:27am
hmm,we used to buy oyster savories years ago for smoko,they were brilliant,they werent smoked either.

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 4:34am
chrisynz - oooie it wasn't THAT long ago ;)

Buzzy - no mushies or anything else.. Just made a roux and added the oyster juices to it and completed it with a 1/2 and 1/2 milk cream. Chucked in the oysters - cooled, refrigerated if necessary, put in your vol au vent cases or even bread cases and voila..Nice

I think they were better than fresh(as gildon attests to) because the beautiful juices could be added to the mix and upped the ante on taste.

chrisynz, Dec 21, 6:25am
they were in a blue and white can smaller than a can of bake beans...

chrisynz, Dec 21, 6:26am
hubby just said skeggs made them, maybe u could contact them

cgvl, Dec 21, 7:09am
Used to be bluff oysters in tins, 'Barnes' in Invercargill is the one I can think of but I cant remember if this was the name. Was a long time ago and my parents used to buy them. I remember seeing the tins they were like 10dozen oysters to a tin.

rainrain1, Dec 21, 9:38am
Yea but they weren't boiled.I have never heard of boiled oysters in a tin have you?.... blurk !!!!

kulkkulbelle, Dec 21, 9:51am
When I was in Dunedin we used to order in the huge tins of Bluffies and scoff ourselves silly. I remember one terrible morning after a tin to myself and a fair bit of whiskey!! Hungover much. Never put me off oysters I have to say...

margyr, Dec 21, 10:55pm
have not seen them for at least 5 years, and you are right they were yummy.

kulkkulbelle, Dec 22, 3:08am
It's a bugga moment I am afraid girls!

guest, Apr 14, 7:27am
Love them the used to be called Lady's Choice Boiled Oysters in a tin - Great for oysters fritters I can't find them to buy in NZ but the US has them but wont ship to here! I will keep looking they are a great favourite of mine.