Cinnamon oysters

rambo24, Jul 29, 8:52am
x1
can i make these in muffin tins? i don't have any patty tins~ :)

terraalba, Jul 29, 8:56am
Yes you can. Just don't overful the mould. My mum always used her round muffin tins but these days patty tins and muffin tins seem to be the same shape, just different sizes.

cookessentials, Jul 29, 9:19am
If you have a modern muffin tin, it will be too deep for cinnamon oysters. A patty tin has a rounded bottom, whereas the modern muffin pan has a flat bottom.

angela137, Jul 29, 9:52am
x1
What is a cinnamon oyster?

sadnerb, Jul 29, 10:07am
angela i was wondering that too. . then i found this recipe on another thread:

Cinnamon Cream Oysters or Fingers
2 eggs
75g sugar
1 dessertspoon golden syrup
50 g flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda

Beat eggs and sugar until thick. Add golden syrup, beat again, then fold in sifted dry ingredients. Put in small spoonfuls in greased sponge oyster, or sponge finger tins. Bake 12 minutes at 200 degrees C. When cold, split and fill with whipped cream.

From 1976 edition Edmonds Cookbook

cookessentials, Jul 29, 10:17am
Like a little spicy sponge cake. Traditionally, they are made in a scallop shaped tin ( individual ones in a tray) the next best thing is a patty pan.

rambo24, Jul 29, 8:37pm
thanks guys! ! :)

nickyd, Jul 30, 3:36am
Don't try them, they're awful ;-) haha

rambo24, Jul 30, 3:40am
have looked in 3 shops for patty tins but no luck, maybe they don't make them anymore? ?

cookessentials, Jul 30, 4:00am
yes they do.

rambo24, Jul 30, 5:08am
ok thanks will keep looking :)

katalin2, Jul 30, 6:16am
you could try op shops- I have seen plenty there. luckily- or unluckily as I have far too much stuff- I never throw anything away and still have some!

nellbee, Jul 30, 6:25am
Try here if you can't buy them in a shop. I'd have thought that muffin tins wouldn't give the right result... and the right result is light and delicious!

www.cookwareessentials.co.nz/baking-tins-c-30.html

juli55, Jul 30, 6:28am
I've got a tray of these, 12 little scallops shaped depressions. Good to have recipe to go with tray

fifie, Jul 30, 7:04am
This may help some with making cinnamon oysters, treat them like a sponge Gently fold in the flour, and cook in small tins.
http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/forum/read. php? 3, 133834

cookessentials, Jul 30, 7:56am
Juli, yours MAY be Madeleine tins

vashti, Jul 30, 8:37am
I have tried several times to make these and they are as tough as old boots. I grease and lightly flour the oyster trays and sometimes the mixture still sticks.
My sister in law used to make beautiful ones, when she was still a schoolgirl of about 11 or 12.

terraalba, Dec 10, 5:49pm
These are the most useful little cakes. They aren't too expensive or complicated to make. I've found that there is a moment when they can be overcook so the trick is to get them out of the oven as soon as they are cooked but still moist.
The other useful attribute of these is that once you've put the cream in them, you can freeze them covered of course and just defrost to take with you when you are asked to bring a plate. They are even actually quite delicious when still not quite thawed, a bit like eating an icecream sandwhich. They are always very popular at gatherings.

The muffin tin is of course a little big but then you can adjust the amount of mixture.