Just bought myself a slow cooker, recipes please?

Page 1 / 2
asgard, May 16, 8:05am
I've got a few I want to try, but I would love to get "tried and true" recipes from real people, as opposed to the ones I see online and in cookbooks. :D

wendalls, May 16, 8:10am
Do a search in recipes.

jynx66, May 16, 10:31am
http://crockpot365.blogspot.co.nz/
Try this site; It's called A year of Slow Cooking and has some lovely recipes

2spotties, May 16, 6:34pm
If you are in a rush - any meat browned with a sliced onion or if you don't have time to brown this works too. A tin of tomatoes, a stock cube to match your meat choice and a crushed garlic clove or teaspoon of crushed garlic. Add in any veges cut up you want like carrot, potato etc and you are done. Not exactly gourmet cooking but it is actually quite tasty.
The watties flavoured tomatoes are good for this too.
I don't normally add water to this as there seems to be enough liquid in the canned tomatoes.
If it needs thickening I turn it up to high half an hour before I need it and stir through a corn flour paste.

valentino, May 16, 8:55pm
The main thing with slow cookers is that one can use most any recipe but is all placed at once with reduced liquid and allow it to do it's thing - slow cook so one can continue with other things and it will be ready when one can relax and enjoy without the last minute rush of cooking.

Roasts, casseroles, stews, desserts, soups, just for starters.

asgard, May 16, 9:12pm
Thanks everyone :) I am definitely lacking for time and often find myself going for greasy take aways during the work week. I figure with a slow cooker, I can do a big cook up on Sunday and then refridgerate the extras for the week ahead :D

battgirl, May 16, 9:27pm
Use your slow cooker in combination with a pie maker and you can't go wrong. Any crockpot leftovers go straight into pastry casing in our house - 8 mins later, pies of gorgeousness are filling the freezer.

wendalls, May 17, 9:43am
That is a very good tip! Now. I need to buy a pie maker . Have been avoiding another gadget, but I found myself buying mince and cheese pies from the supermarket for my husband to cook when I am at work so that could be the go!

sarahb5, May 17, 10:43am
Doing a big cook up on a Sunday kind of defeats the object of a slow cooker to my mind - put it on in the morning before you go out and ready when you get home from work. Flavour is the key - food cooked for that length of time needs lots and lots of flavouring and the texture isn't to our liking at all but whatever floats your boat . If I'm stuck for time I'd rather microwave a chicken

red_scorpio, May 17, 1:42pm
What kind of pastry do you use in a pie maker? Thank you.

dezzie, May 17, 11:40pm
There's a big group on facebook that has heaps of recipes in it, and people for that matter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SlowCookerRecipes4Families/

fifie, May 18, 1:59am
What kind of things do you like have heaps of recipes roasts,stews, puddings,chops,sausages, etc

jag5, May 18, 2:05am
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SlowCookerRecipes4Families/?fref=nf
Heaps in here. have tried some and they all good.
Had visitors for dinner a few nights ago. had the roast and vegies in the oven and the self saucing choc spongy pud in the crock pot. awesome

mgc54, May 18, 3:57am
I would definitely recommend Allyson Gofton's recipe book for slow cooking called "SLOW" its available at Fishpond.
We have been cooking from it for two winters now and really like the recipes. I particularly like her use of herbs and spices, not over the top.
We now keep a small jar of crushed garlic in the fridge for slow cooking and oven casseroles. Occasionally we leave the odd ingredient out. Sometimes we add a cup more stock too. Our slow cooker is a little slow, so we usually put it on at 10:00am and run it on low till 4:00pm and then on high till 6:00pm. The remaining liquid needs thickening sometimes at 5:30pm with a cornflour/water mix. As a general rule her recipes feed two that night and a second meal for two reheated.
http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Slow-Allyson-Gofton-Alan-Gillard/9780143203711

issymae, May 18, 5:11am
have got a Hangi on for tea, the cabbage is a bit smellie

jynx66, May 18, 7:37am
When I was working, I found putting the crockpot on in the morning and not getting home till some 12 hours later was just too long - food was mushy and unappetising. I invested in a plug-in timer, about $25 from a hardware shop, and could prepare my crockpot and have it switch itself on a 3 or 4 hours after I'd gone to work. Came home to perfectly cooked food.

Another trick: if you're cooking a small amount (why would you?), put a circle of baking paper directly on top of the food as it cooks and it won't dry out.

Tip 3: Cook a whole lot of rice at once while you get on with other stuff around the home. Cool quickly when done and freeze for future use. I have a little steamer that holds just enough for 1 and reheat the rice in the microwave. I made the steamer out of a pottle that had coleslaw in it, and a smaller one that fits nicely on top, that I burnt holes in with a hot, small nail. Put the water in the bottom, fill the smaller pottle with rice and sit it on top and loosely cover with the pottle lid. Steam on high iin the microwave for about 2-3 minutes. It turns out nicely, too, onto the plate, if you turn it over onto the plate quickly.

bev00, Aug 2, 10:44am
Courtesy of campmum. It is only for six servings though, but you could adjust it.

this is my absolute fave. really easy & delicious.

Crock Pot Chocolate Self-saucing Pudding
We've seen several different recipes for slow cooker versions of everyone's favourite self-saucing chocolate pudding, but this one - with its remarkably rich sauce considering how little fat is actually added - is a winner!
FOR 6 SERVINGS:
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup chocolate chips
SAUCE
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 1/4 cups boiling water
Turn the slow cooker to HIGH and coat the inside of the bowl with non-stick spray.
Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt into a large bowl. In a small separate bowl whisk the milk, oil and vanilla together. Pour them into the dry ingredients, then fold everything together gently until just combined. Sprinkle in the chocolate chips and stir just enough to incorporate them. Pour or spoon the pudding batter into the slow cooker.
Make the sauce by combining the sugar and cocoa powder with the boiling water. Stir or whisk to ensure there are no lumps, then carefully pour the sauce over the batter, getting as much as possible around the edges rather than all in the middle.
Cover and cook for 2-3 hours. When the middle feels about as firm as the edges it is ready. Leave to stand for 15-20 minutes before spooning out and serving with cream or ice cream.

campmum (204 ) 10:35 pm, Sun 8 Apr #2

Edited by cookessentials at 10:03 am, Thu 1 Aug

cookessentials (1216 1216 positive feedback) 10:03 am, Thu 1 Aug #4

molly37, Aug 2, 7:59pm
I did roast shoulder pork last week in mine. It was so delicious, absolutely fell off the bone. I googled some recipes, but in the end just seasoned it well and popped straight in with no other fluids. Cooked on Low for 10 hours. Makes plenty of its on juices. I peeled off the skin and attempted to grill to crackle which was a tad disappointing, but you could always buy and cook that separately.

kindajojo, Aug 2, 8:32pm
Corned beef.

beaker59, Aug 4, 6:28am
Try this for dessert,

1/2 cup Pearl sago or tapioca
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups (1L) milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs

Put milk into slow cooker beat the eggs into it then add the rest and stir, run at high for 2 or 3 hours. Stir occasionally during cooking. Some cookers are quicker than others but its cooked when it looks cooked.

rosiemoodle, Aug 4, 8:31am
Just had a yummy apple Crumble my daughter made in her new slow cooker will find out the recipe and she is going to try beer bread .

rosiemoodle, Aug 4, 9:25am
allrecipes.com slow cooker apple crisp She used rolled oats instead of walnuts

korbo, Aug 5, 5:17am
check out on facebook. lots of different recipes on there.

bev00, Aug 5, 10:53am
recycling

lindymf55, Aug 10, 10:33pm
A couple of questions.

If I want dinner at 6pm, what time should my slow cooker be turned on?

How much water should be added?

Thanks.