A Dessert That I Can Make Ahead Of Time?

freesia, Dec 19, 8:45am
I need to make a dessert for someone next Wednesday, for Christmas Day. I don't really want to use cream because I think it's manky two days later. Any suggestions please?

sooseque, Dec 19, 10:25am
Lemon cheesecake, no bake

245sam, Dec 19, 11:48am
freesia, I agree with sooseque re a cheesecake being IMO an obvious choice for you. I believe that most, if not all, unbaked cheesecakes are better for being made at least 1 day ahead and below is a very easy cheesecake to make.
Many years ago I thought that making cheesecakes was 'way-too-hard' for me to do however I was encouraged to try and that first attempt was the first of many cheesecakes that I have very successfully made, many of them with the following recipe. It's always popular and is nicest at least 1 day old, and it freezes well too.

HEAVENLY CHEESECAKE
Crumb Crust:
1 packet plain biscuits, crushed
170g butter, melted
Combine the biscuits and butter, then spread evenly into a 22•5cm (9”) springform tin and up the sides. Chill while preparing the Filling:
1 tbsp gelatine
250g cream cheese
¾ cup sugar
3 eggs
¼ cup each of water, lemon juice and milk
pinch salt
Blend the gelatine with the water and lemon juice, then set it aside. Combine the cream cheese, ½ cup sugar, beaten egg yolks, milk and salt. Cook over simmering water for 10 minutes, then blend in the gelatine mixture. Cool the mixture.
Beat 3 egg whites, gradually adding the remaining ¼ cup sugar, until soft peaks form. Fold this into cheese mixture and pour the filling carefully into crumb crust. Refrigerate.
If desired, pile whipped cream on top and serve as a dessert or as a cake with coffee.

Hope that helps. :-))

freesia, Dec 22, 12:23am
Thank you for this info. A lemon cheesecake it is then.

leebee35, Dec 22, 6:50am
Yes I can make a cheesecake in 29mins from start to finish and it keeps for 2-3 days easy. I'll hunt out the link shortly.

leebee35, Dec 22, 7:26am

brajama, Dec 23, 5:15am
This works well, and will stay good for up to a week, if it gets a chance.

Broken Glass Pudding:

4 small packets of jelly), different colors ( Can use 6, if desired.)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin (or 3 tablespoons, if you haven’t got envelopes)
1 ½ cup boiling water for dissolving gelatine

Dissolve each box of jelly separately, using just one small cup of boiling water per flavor. Pour into individual containers and chill overnight.

Once solid, cut the flavors of jelly into small cubes and mix together carefully in a glass bowl.
In a separate bowl, dissolve 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin in 1 ½ cups hot water. Let cool a bit and stir in the condensed milk. When it is cool to touch, pour cooled milk mixture over jelly cubes and chill overnight.
I usually do mine in a bowl, and turn it out on a plate, cutting it into wedges, to serve.

datoofairy, Dec 23, 5:18am
A banoffee pie would keep well. Just add the banana and whipped cream on the day.

freesia, Dec 23, 7:02pm
Thank you all. They are great ideas.

fatdonkey, Dec 23, 8:06pm
Annabel Langbein has a best ever meringue recipe on her website and they are amazing! I recently made them and served with cream, strawberries and lemon curd. They were a hit.

freesia, Mar 5, 4:00pm
Fyi every one. Made a lemon cheesecake for her and it looks spectacular. Sadly, she is now back in hospital fighting a big infection so i am not sure she will even get to try it.