Whats the secret to cooking with those string bags

beebs, Aug 6, 9:27pm
Hi i brought a lovely free farmed should of pork in a string bag holder thingy, and it was lovely, but the bag didnt peel off to leave a perfect crackling like the picture (haha) do you oil the meat, does that help with the meat not sticking to it? Thanks in advance

rainrain1, Aug 6, 10:06pm
Should you have taken the string off before you cooked it, sounds a bit funny trying to make crackle with a string bag cover.

beebs, Aug 6, 10:18pm
probably

sampa, Aug 6, 10:26pm
Here you go beebs -

http://www.thetipgarden.com/2015/02/do-you-remove-stringnet-bag-on-meat.html

I've always wondered the same thing but never bothered to look for the info before so I've learned something too thanks. :)

beebs, Aug 6, 11:27pm
Awesome Sampa, google wasnt kind to me

fifie, Aug 6, 11:30pm
i cook in slow cooker bag on lightly rubbed with oil on a bed of sliced onions, cup water for gravy. When done remove, carefully snip off string pat skin dry with paper towel rub with little oil sprinkle with salt and into the hottest oven you can get for about 20-25 mins for the crackle to form, watch it dosent burn.

rainrain1, Aug 7, 3:36am
There must be a very thin layer of skin and fat if you leave the string bag on to cook.
I saw an ad on telly for Aussie porterhouse steak the other night, I couldn't believe my eyes as there was no fat on the steak whatsoever, just a couple of bland cuts of meat, that were so unappetizing looking.

beaker59, Jan 13, 3:42pm
Aussie beef in their supermarkets is pretty bland and expensive. They cat off every scrap of fat they can so that's part of it but its also pink beef almost looks like veal and seemingly fresh so not aged at all.