Rice Pudding

dolphinlu, Jan 4, 3:52am
Molly pls post your recipe

wheelz, Jan 5, 12:59am
I'm going to regret posting this, because I am then going to want to make it!
Lovely and creamy, without the addition of an egg.
3/4 c rice.
4 c milk. ( can do 3 milk & 1 cream, or 1 can coconut milk/ cream and made up to 4 cups with milk)
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla ( I use vanilla paste, love the tiny black seeds showing)
Optional addins: sultanas and or lemon rind ( I always add the rind)
Cook all but sugar and rind over a low heat in pot, stirring often ( so rice doesn't stick) until almost all the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in sugar and rind.
My cooktop is gas, so I use a simmer mat to get a real low temp and avoid catching.

ryelands1, Apr 21, 10:05am
It was so dry. Very disappointing. Cooked it slowly and had heaps of milk in it. maybe I had too much rice. Was looking forward to it too and daughter wasn't very impressed at my first attempt. Hangs head.

unknowndisorder, Apr 21, 10:15am
what a bummer. hate that when it happens, but treat it as a learning curve. what recipe did you use?

ryelands1, Apr 21, 10:28am
kinda made it from a few. So next time will stick to just making it from one recipe

sarahb5, Apr 21, 10:59am
Needs a very small amount of rice - I made one yesterday, 4 cups of milk but only 1/2 cup of rice

petal1955, Apr 21, 10:34pm
Creamy Rice Pudding

Yummy, had this last night and its the best rice pudding Ive ever tasted. I got it out of the NZ Womens Weekly, it's a Jo Seager one.
8 heaped tablespoons aborio rice
1/4 cup water
300ml milk
300ml cream (or you can use all milk)
Large knob butter
2 tblspns vanilla essence
4 tbspns castor sugar.
METHOD:
Place rice, water, milk and cream in saucepan. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a very gentle simmer. Stir every so often for 20 mins, until the rice has swelled up and thickened. Rice should be soft, but have a little bite to it. Stir in the butter, vanilla and sugar and stir until dissolved. Pour into a dish and place under gentle grill for four to five mins until a brown skin develops. Serve with cream. Serves 4.

molly37, Apr 22, 5:11am
I like mine cooked on the stove top now and with eggs. omg , so good. Wont go back to the old oven method.

clair4, Apr 22, 5:27am
Molly, please share your recipe. I have not had a rice pudding for at least 10 years.

kiwiscrapper1, Apr 22, 7:47am
I haven't made one for years either and usually just the Edmonds cookbook one, interested in other recipe, Jo Seagars one sounds nice and quick instead of 2hours!

murfee, May 18, 8:48am
I've made the recipe posted by petal1955 but without the water and I put my dish of pudding inside a dish of boiling water in the oven - the steam seems to keep it moist.
Never tried the stovetop one but have read various recipes with egg in :-)