Basa Fish ?

niffer13, Sep 5, 2:38am
My neighbour just bought some basa fish from Countdown. She said they couldn't tell her anything about it. I googled it & doesn't sound very healthy to me. I was going to buy some but not sure I want to eat it! Anyone tried it?

245sam, Sep 5, 2:45am
niffer13, I recall some time ago that there was significant discussion re this fish and at that time I also Googled for info' and read anything I could find - as a result we have not tried this fish and will not knowingly be doing so. :-))

Edited to add. I have also tried doing a search here on the Recipes MB and cannot find the earlier discussion so can only assume that the discussion must have been in excess of a year ago.
If you do decide to give the fish a try please do let us know your thoughts. :-))

grannypam, Sep 5, 2:49am
I bought some once. I liked the price but after doing some research I decided that no matter how cheap it was I wouldn't be buying it again.
Its quite a long time ago now but from memory it was a bland sort of fish with very little taste.

socram, Sep 5, 2:52am
I had some in the UK last month. Really liked it. Not a strong fish flavour wise. Not quite as firm as my favourite monkfish but sits somewhere between snapper, monkfish and cod.

It was bought ready crumbed from a supermarket by my SIL.

I'd eat it again anytime.

niffer13, Sep 5, 3:16am
I didn't like the thought of it being farmed in the highly polluted Mekong River.

gpg58, Sep 5, 3:21am
I researched too, needless to say it will never reach my table.

golfdiver, Sep 5, 3:37am
Its Catfish from the Mekong.

socram, Sep 5, 3:37am
I didn't research it and still haven't. It was placed in front of me and I ate it!

I do worry about the source of our prawns, as ever since the demise of DelKing, all we now get in the frozen section, are Vietnamese and Chinese prawns that have never been near the sea and don't seem to have much taste.

samanya, Sep 5, 5:04am
I've tasted it & it wasn't too bad, but like others, I wouldn't buy it because of where it's farmed/grown.
I get the feeling that a few restaurants (chain family types) serve it.
I had a meal at a 'Robbies' recently & when i asked what type of fish they served . it was Basa.

skydancing, Sep 5, 6:44am
Had it served up at Dunedin Hospital a few years ago. OMG it was absolutely disgusting! After reading about it I would NEVER recommend anyone to eat it no matter how cheap.

khazz, Sep 5, 6:50am
I don't know if they still throw dead bodys in there there were
a few floating around when the yanks were in there fish were fed well

byhutch, Sep 5, 7:41am

beaker59, Sep 5, 8:22am
Not a fish buyer I catch what I eat. Though have to say I don't eat fish when I go out unless it is clear what it is and if its Basa then no way. I like fish and chips as a takeaway and I always ask if they can't answer then I walk out, Hoki is my minimum.

marcs, Sep 5, 2:21pm
Very common here in Australia. I never buy it but the fish and chip shop I work at sells them like hotcakes. I have eaten them and they are alright but tasteless.

sampa, Sep 5, 10:56pm
Not keen but I understand how the price would be very appealing to some families where budget is a priority but the person doing the shopping and/or cooking would like to be able to serve fish from time to time. It's an absolute shame that our wonderful NZ fish are not better represented in our larger supermarkets allowing people to explore options besides our most popular (and pricey) three or so species. We have so many wonderful varieties coming from our own local waters and not all of them require a new mortgage to buy. Finding where to purchase and committing to trying something new and previously not tasted/cooked seems to be the overriding problem. No one wants to make the investment only to find that the end results is unpalatable to them or their families. Perhaps we should open a discussion on different fish varieties, their taste and texture and good ways of cooking them along with where to source them.

pinnochio1, Sep 5, 11:25pm
I hope you people realize you have just removed one species of fish from my diet, I don't think I have tried it before, but thanks to this thread I will make sure I never will.
This really is a wonderful MB. It is impossible To come in here without learning something. I was in the potato thread recently, I haven't made any of the recipes but I did modify one of my favorite dishes because of it.

shellk, Sep 6, 3:34am
I started buying this fish from countdown when I was training for a bodybuilding comp. I would put it in a pot with pumpkin and veg and make it into pumpkin soup for easy heat and eat lunches. I thought it was perfect cos it didn't really have any taste so the soup just tasted like pumpkin soup but with the advantage of added protein.

socram, Nov 12, 2:19am
Well said. When even the cheapest fish from our local fresh fish shop is more expensive than the cheaper cuts of meat, gambling on even half a kilo is not going to happen.

Fresh (sic) fish is something I'd never buy at a supermarket.