Anyone have recipes for choko pickle..

zodiacgal, May 3, 6:18am
x1
please. . I used to have a great recipe for choko pickle but it has been lost or misplaced... one of my neighbours grows choko's and the vines have gone mad, over fences and up trees so its choko's by the dozens, no, that should be, by the 100's! Figured there's enough for me to have a few to make pickle. . many thanks in advance for recipe(s)

brianmac, May 3, 6:39am
* 3kg (6lb) chokos (after peeling)
* 1kg (2lb) onions
* 1 cup cooking salt
* water
* 1 ½ litres (3 pints) dark malt vinegar
* 5 tablespoons plain flour
* 1 ½ level tablespoons curry powder
* 1 tablespoon turmeric
* 1 tablespoon dried mustard
* 1 kg (2lb) brown sugar

Cut up the chokos and onions, add the salt, then cover with cold water. Next day scoop off the excess water, then boil the choko and onion mixture for 15 minutes.

In a large pot mix together the plain flour (mixed to a paste with a little of the vinegar first), then the rest of the vinegar, curry powder, turmeric and mustard.

Bring to the boil, stirring. Add 1kg (2lb) brown sugar and stir to dissolve. Add the cooked chokos and onions to the vinegar mixture and bring back to the boil. Cook 10 minutes more, stirring or until desired consistency is reached.

zodiacgal, May 3, 7:23am
brianmac... . . thanks so much

santolina, Apr 15, 2:46am
lucky you. usually I have buckets of chokos, love them many ways and thenkeep some for seeds next spring. but this year we have had no real rain (UNTIL TODAY! ! ) since last Oct and there are 6 measly undersized chokos on the vine. just thought I'd have a moan ...
PS one favourite way of using chokos is to grate it up and use in curries, stews etc much as you would courgettes.