Pickled pork a question

samsnan, Jul 4, 4:12am
Its been many years since I cooked and now tell me what do I serve it with?
It will be hot.

245sam, Jul 4, 4:38am
samsnan, IMO pickled pork is best served with anything that you would serve hot ham or pork with - apple sauce if you wish or another very nice option is
Alison Holst’s PICKLED PINEAPPLE
1 x ~440g can pineapple slices or pieces – I always use pineapple in juice
¼ cup vinegar
½ cup sugar
4-6 whole cloves
¼ tsp each of cinnamon and ginger
pinch salt

Drain syrup/juice from pineapple into saucepan containing remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes (until liquid is reduced to 1 cup). Add pineapple, return to boil, then remove from heat. Arrange fruit attractively in a straight sided jar. Fill with syrup. Refrigerate 24 hours before use.
Store in refrigerator.
Notes from Alison: "These are not true pickles, in that they will not keep indefinitely. They are, however, delicious and unusual, and may be stored for several weeks in the refrigerator. I always make them the day before I plan to serve them, although I feel they are probably at their best a day or two after this.
Serve pickled pineapple with hot or cold meat - poultry, ham, roast pork - or even with sausages."

If you don't want to go with either of the fruity options as an accompaniment, try mustard sauce as served with corned beef/silverside. As for what vegetables - IMO anything goes - there's such a wonderful choice of lovely seasonal/winter vegetables available so whatever you and yours prefer will be lovely with the pickled pork.

Hope that helps. :-))

245sam, Jul 4, 4:40am
Further to my above posting - this is our favourite way of having pickled pork cooked but I don't use the fruit, just the cider and maple syrup.

Joan Bishop's PICKLED PORK WITH FRUIT AND CIDER
1.8 Kg piece of pickled pork
¼-½ cup maple syrup
750ml cider
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled cored and sliced
¾ cup raisins

Preheat crockpot for 20 minutes, trim meat of any excess fat and then put meat in crockpot. Add the maple syrup to the crockpot. Pour the cider into a suitable container and heat in the microwave or in a saucepan until hot. Pour over the meat in the crockpot and turn the meat over in the aromatic liquid to coat. Cover with lid and cook on low/auto for 8-10 hours. If possible turn the meat ½ way through cooking. An 1½ before serving add the apples and raisins cover with lid, continue cooking for the remaining 90 minutes (1½ hours).
Remove meat from crockpot, slice and arrange on a platter spooning the fruit on to the meat.
Lovely served hot or cold. :-))

rainrain1, Apr 13, 1:14am
Serve with creamy mashed potato, and green peas, carrots, and cauliflower and white sauce. and butter on your spud