• 1 cup unsweetened apple purée/sauce
• 1/3 cup cocoa
• 3/4 cup self-raising flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
• 3/4 cup (70g) walnuts, chopped
Preheat the oven to 175°C and lightly spray or oil a 20x20cm baking dish.

Place apple purée in a medium-sized bowl. Sift in the cocoa, flour and baking soda. Add the sugar and salt and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix as this will toughen the brownies. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and the walnuts. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake for around 25-30 minutes or until the centre feels set and fudgy when a skewer is inserted.

Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before turning out. Cool completely before slicing into squares. If desired, dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.

I omit the walnuts -as i dont like them. this brownie recipe is devine. rich and wonderful. i sometimes stew up apples and puree in blender and once even didnt have enough apple puree and pureed some tinned pineapple. i also for emergencies buy the medium tin of Pams pureed apples. it is pure apples and just the right size tin for this recipe.

kiwigoldie (293 ) 12:09 pm, Sun 20 Feb #3

cookessentials, Sep 3, 10:14pm
Bumping for someone wanting a good chocolate brownie.

cookessentials, Sep 4, 3:23am
I made this one yesterday and it was very nice.

2 eggs
½ cup brown sugar
2 teasp coffee granules
2 tablsp cocoa powder
1 tablsp water
1 tablsp oil
40g low fat spread, melted
¼ cup SR wholemeal flour
¼ cup dark choc chips
1 teasp cocoa powder extra
2 teasp icing sugar

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 19cm square baking tin. Beat together eggs and sugar until thick and creamy. In separate bowl, blend coffee, cocoa with water & oil until smooth, add melted spread. Stir cocoa mix into egg/sugar mixture. Fold in flour, choc bits and pour into prep'd tin. Bake for 25 minutes until firm to touch. Serve dusted with combined cocoa and icing sugar.

I used coconut sugar instead of brown and cut the quantity by half and added ¼ cup chopped walnuts. Also used coffee essence instead of powder.

nauru (122 ) 3:21 pm, Tue 3 Sep #6

cookessentials, Sep 4, 3:24am
This is the best (and easiest) one I've used from my friend Katrina so credit to her:

Katrina’s Brownie Recipe
225gm butter
200gm dark chocolate
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/4 t van ess
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c cocoa

Melt the butter, choc and sugar over a low heat and leave to cool. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla essence, flour and cocoa. Stir to combine and pour into a greased lined baking tin. Bake at 180 for 35 min. The top will look a bit flakey when cooked. Sprinkle with icing sugar when cool. Enjoy!

sarahb5 (1396 ) 10:23 am, Sat 23 Mar #2

cookessentials, Sep 4, 3:24am
Quick Brownies swiss-roll tin sprayed with cooking oil, 165C for 20 min
1/2 C softened butter
1 C brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 C flour
4 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
3/4/C walnut pieces
Cream butter & sugar. Add egg & vanilla.
Sift together flour, cocoa & b powder.
Add to creamed mixture.
Stir in walnuts.

elfim (3 ) 10:16 am, Sun 24 Mar #3

cookessentials, Sep 4, 3:25am
Chocolate brownies
250g butter, chopped
250g dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup plain flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons cocoa, sifted
Stir butter, chocolate and brown sugar in saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth, cool slightly
Mix eggs and vanilla into chocolate mixture, sift in flour and cocoa
Stir until combined
Pour mixture into a baking paper lined 18cm square cake pan
Bake 190C for 30-35 minutes or until just set
Allow to cool completely in pan then remove and cut into squares for serving
Store in airtight container

Quotegriffo4 (226 ) 3:55 pm, Sun 2 Sep

melp6, Sep 4, 3:26am
Brownies-I had an awesome recipe that had 1/2 C cocoa, and 1/2 C flour. Unfortunately I can't remember the rest of it

nauru, Sep 4, 3:32am
Thanks for the link, I've made a not of this one but it's definitely for special occasions with all that lovely chocolate.

cookessentials, Sep 8, 7:00am
Some good ones so far. Someone was after brownie recipes earlier today.

cookessentials, Sep 11, 10:50pm
I haven't made these, but here's one from the web to muse over until someone else comes along ;-)

HAZELNUT BROWNIIES
Author: Tamara Novacovic
Recipe Type: Dessert

Ingredients

5 oz (150 g) dark chocolate (70 % cocoa)
1 stick (113 g) butter, melted
2 tbsp (15 g) cocoa powder
1 cup (200 g) sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs
¾ cup (95 g) all purpose flour
pinch of salt
3.3 oz (100 g) toasted, chopped hazelnuts

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Butter (or spray with a nonstick cooking spray) an 8 inch (20 cm) square pan, and line the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment or wax paper.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a large stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder and sugar . Next, whisk in the vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Finally, stir in the flour, salt and hazelnuts.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little batter and a few moist clumps clinging to it. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature or chilled. These freeze very well.

elliehen (4255 ) 4:43 pm, Sat 7 Sep #2

kaddiew, Sep 11, 11:50pm
I've made this one a few times, and it works well - you don't miss the butter at all. Someone gave me a huge bag of tiny windfall apples, which I just halved and stewed in a little water, skins, core and all - then mashed through a colander to get the puree which I froze in cupfuls, flattened in ziplock bags. Perfect for this recipe.

cookessentials, Sep 12, 1:47am
Certainly looks like an interesting recipe.

aw217, Sep 12, 8:09am
cookes, do you remember if the date brownie at the start of the thread had a strong date taste? or was it hidden with the choco flavour? also , what is coconut sugar and where else would you use it please?

cookessentials, Sep 12, 8:27am
Hi .aw217, the first one was a recipe by geldof , you will see at the bottom of it. Coconut sugar is available at some supermarkets.

aw217, Sep 12, 9:50am
Oh sorry, I thought when it said at the top "I made this one of Annabel Langbeins and just used 1 cup of Macro GF flour." that was you not geldof. My bad.

cookessentials, Sep 12, 10:01am
no worries. Hopefully Geldof may be able to answer. Are you not a fan of dates?

aw217, Sep 12, 10:44pm
I love them, but Coeliac daughter has not acquired the taste for them yet and this looked like a nice Gluten free Brownie to try out. I have a few Gluten free brownies recipes to try (3) and am looking for the best that will keep moist for more than a day, not crumble when I pick it up and tastes yummy for her. I have one from the 'Gluten free made easy' site and they are usually great recipes. I think we will be eating lots of brownie until I find the right one.
I am working my way through lots of baking so I can cook her food she is actually excited about and likes it.

cookessentials, Sep 12, 10:52pm
There are a couple of fabulous gluten free baking books around.

bev00, Oct 15, 11:48am
Pandoro’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie

■100 grams of cocoa
■200 grams of butter, melted
■400 grams or 2 cups caster sugar
■4 eggs
■1 teaspoon of vanilla
■90 grams flour
■1 teaspoon of baking powder
■200 grams of chocolate chips
Sift cocoa into a large mixing bowl. Add melted the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix to a smooth paste. Sift in flour and baking powder, and then add chocolate chips. Pour mixture into a 20 cm x 30 cm baking tin. Bake in a preheated oven at 150 degress C for 65 minutes.

Mixture should feel slightly undercooked. Slice when completely cooled. Enjoy!

sarahb5, Oct 16, 9:06am
I have also made this one - its very rich by comparison with Katrina's recipe that I usually make as quoted above but still delicious - more of a grown up brownie probably

bev00, Nov 12, 9:33am
Well I have a couple!

Firstly is this one - hands down everyones favourite who tries it - 1 1/2 times the recipe to make it a bit thicker - we love it with white chocolate but with black forest it is nice too!

http://justamumnz.com/2014/03/23/best-ever-chocolate-brownie / Then there is this one with raspberries that is not my recipe and its pretty fantastic too! HUGE

http://justamumnz.com/2014/10/29/ultimate-chocolate-brownie-
with-raspberries/

Then there is this one - well its delicious as well - and one-pot so quick and easy!

http://justamumnz.com/2014/10/18/divine-one-pot-brownie/

I could go on but you get the point - we love brownies!

mooshiesmum (81 81 positive feedback) 7:44 pm, Tue 11 Nov #4

bev00, Dec 6, 10:17am
Here is one made with prunes and it is really nice as well , just to be a bit different
Lite Chocolate Brownie
1/2 cup pitted prunes
1 cup water
125g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup strong black coffee
2 large eggs
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt
1/2 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cocoa
Place prunes and water in a small saucepan and simmer until prunes are very tender and liquid has mostly reduced, stirring until prunes break up into purée Remove mix to cool
Heat oven to 160C fan bake Line a 17cm x 27cm slice tin
Place chocolate and coffee in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water or microwave to melt
Stir until smooth, then combine with prune mixture
Place eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until thick and pale
Fold in chocolate prune mix
Sift flour, baking soda and cocoa powder together and gently fold into chocolate mix, to just incorporate dry ingredients
Spread mix into prepared slice tin
Bake 45 minutes or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out moist but clean
Remove to cool in tin before lifting out
Peel off baking paper and slice to serve
Tip
the prune mix gives this lite brownie a lovely chewy texture and replaces any need for butter in this recipe

Quotegriffo4 (228 ) 7:01 pm, Tue 4 Dec #6

campmum, Jul 1, 6:04pm
This is my favourite as it super easy & really delicious!
Donna Hay Chocolate Brownie
Melt:
150g butter
1 ¼ cup sugar
¾ cup cocoa
Mix well then add,
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup flour
Mix well, Bake 160*C for 30 minutes in 20cm tin
Cool in tin.