BROWNIES

Page 1 / 2
bev00, Feb 21, 10:41am
Really good white chocolate brownie recipe here. http://www.foodshow.co.nz/home/recipes/w/white-chocolate-and -macadamia-brownie.aspx Quotebridget107 (89 ) 9:45 am, Wed 15 Feb #2 Here's another couple of recipes from the former Trademe Cooks and these ones are white.

"White Chocolate & Almond Brownies.
75gm butter, 300gm white choc, 3 eggs, 90gm caster sugar, 2tsp vanilla, 1 1/3c self raising flour, 100gm slivered almonds, 100gm white choc chips. Melt butter and choc together. In separate bowl whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla. Stir in melted choc mix and fold in flour. Stir in almonds and choc chips. Spread mix into a 20x30cm slice pan and bake @ 175°C for 20-25mins. Cool, dust with icing sugar and cut into squares. Keeps 3-4 days in airtight container.posted by rkcroft

White choc and pistachio brownies
180g white chocolate, 150g butter, 1 cup caster sugar, 3 eggs whisked, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 100g pistachios, ¾ cup plain flour. Melt together chocolate and butter until smooth. Cool slightly. Add sugar, eggs and vanilla to choc mix. Mix until well combined. Stir in nuts and flour till combined. Pour into square pan and bake at 170° for 30-35mins. Best eaten day after baking like most brownies. posted by rkcroft" :-))

Quote245sam (39 ) 11:00 am, Wed 15 Feb #4
ive got one on my blog http://fatmanyash.com

Quoteashwinis (388 ) 9:43 pm, Thu 16 Feb #8
245sam wrote:

Although the following recipe from the former Trademe Cooks, is called a white chocolate brownie, I realise that it is not white as such because of the cocoa but you may like to try it anyway .

"WHITE CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY BROWNIE
"I make it at the cafe I work at and it is so popular." 200g butter, 1&1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, 1&1/3 cups white flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 4 eggs, 1&1/2 cups frozen raspberries - or other berries of choice, 1/2 cup white chocolate drops - or any available white chocolate. Place all the ingredients, except the raspberries & chocolate drops, into a food processor or cake mixer & beat all together until light and fluffy. Put 1/2 of the mixture into a sprayed & lined 24cm square tin with 5cm high sides, then add the raspberries & white chocolate drops. Add the remaining mixture. Bake at 185°C for 40 minutes, until the cake springs back. Serve e.g. cut into triangles, dusted with icing sugar if desired or drizzled with melted white chocolate, if desired. posted by mackenzie2" :-))

I probably still make this at least once a week, it is an easy delish recipe. One I always get asked to make for others, that and for some reason "Belgium square" think it is a pleasant memory thing?

Quotemackenzie2 (1057 ) 8:17 am, Sat 16 Feb #12
White chocolate blondie.

250g grams butter, 300g white choc melts, 1 cup castor sugar, 4 eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla essence, 1 3/4 cups flour, 1 cup white choc drops.
preheat oven to 160 C, grease & line 20 x 30 pan. Melt butter & choc melts together. Beat eggs, sugar & vanilla in a large bowl, slowly mix in choc & butter mix, fold through sifted flour then choc drops. Pour into pan, cook for 25 - 30 mins until light golden on top but still slightly soft in middle. Cool in the pan, to serve cut i

sandra25, Feb 21, 8:43pm
I was going to make these last week, but didn't get to it, so they will be on the list for next week.
From Nigella Lawson.

Bacon Brownies

125 grams streaky bacon (thin rashers, finely chopped)
2 teaspoons golden syrup
150 grams softened unsalted butter
250 grams soft light brown sugar
75 grams cocoa powder
150 grams plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
4 large eggs (beaten)
150 grams chopped dark chocolate (or dark chocolate chips/morsels)

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375ºF and get out a 25cm / 10 inch square tin and line it, or (as I prefer) a throwaway foil baking tray measuring 30cm x 20cm x 15cm / 12 x 8 x 6 inches.
Heat a heavy based (preferably non stick) frying pan and when warm, add the streaky bacon bits and cook, stirring occasionally until beginning to crisp. Add the syrup, stir again to mix and transfer the sticky streaky bacon bits to a cold surface, either on some foil or a plate. The syrupy streaky bacon juices left behind are just delicious when mopped up with some bread: a cook’s treat!
Melt the butter over a gentle heat in a medium sized saucepan and when it’s melted, add the sugar, stirring with a wooden spoon.
Now take the pan off the heat and add the cocoa, flour, bicarbonate of soda and stir, then add the beaten eggs and stir again to mix.
Add the chopped dark choc or chips and the streaky bacon bits, breaking them up with your hands if necessary. Fold together then pour and scrape into the tin.
Place in the oven to cook for 20-25 minutes; you want a little gooeyness inside still.
Transfer the tin to a wire rack and sit until cooled a little (but not to the point of coldness) and cut into 16 squares.

irenew, Feb 21, 9:30pm
Mmm, this looked so good and easy. I don't have any chocolate or chips at the moment (they never survive long enough at our place to get to the baking process!) so this looked ideal. It's currently baking, so I'll let you know the verdict soon :)

irenew, Feb 22, 5:23am
Yum, it turned out really well. My boys polished it off in record time too!

willyow, Mar 11, 7:05pm
This is the one supplied by Dutch Cocoa company De Zaan
CHOCOLATE BROWNIE

Simple & Fabulous!

250g butter, melted but not too hot

440g sugar

4 free range eggs, at room temperature

1/2 cup of sifted 21% fat Dutch cocoa

2tsp vanilla extract

250g dark (70% cocoa solids) chocolate, chips or cut into small chunks
(We use Whittakers )

2/3 cup sifted flour

Preheat oven to 150°C set to fan bake. Combine butter, sugar, eggs, cocoa and
vanilla together.

Only just fold through chocolate and flour. Lightly grease a baking tin (20cm x 30cm) lined with baking paper.
Spread in mixture and bake until an even crust has formed on the top (it’s going to take 50-60 minutes).
Let it cool completely in it the tin. Turn out and wrap in foil only cutting as required.

supercook, Mar 12, 11:32pm
Anyone got a great marbled brownie recipe ?

bev00, Mar 21, 1:27pm
from an old cadbury chocolate recipes book, tried and tested.

Chocolate fudge brownies

50g butter
90g choc chips
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts

Melt butter and choc chips over hot water
Add sugar and beat well, cool and beat in egg and vanilla gradually.
*Mixture should be light and fluffy*
Sift flour, salt and baking powder and stir into mixture.
Add chopped nuts and spread into greased and floured sponge roll tin (approx 25cm x 20cm)Bake at 160 C for 25-30mins. Cool in tin for around 10 mins, then cut into squares, while still warm.
*optional* Can be iced with chocolate icing and sprinkled with chopped nuts.

Quotekinna54 (268 ) 5:42 pm, Mon 14 Mar #3
And another from the same book.

Brownies #2
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornflour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup chopped nuts
125g butter
1/4 cup cocoa.
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup sugar
2 eggs

Sift flour, cornflour, salt and baking powder, mix in chopped nuts
Soften butter over warm water, beat with cocoa and vanilla.
Gradually beat in sugar, then beaten eggs.
Stir in dry ingredients and spread into a 20cm square tin.
Bake at 160 C for 30 mins approx. Cut into squares while warm, but allow to cool in the tin.
I

Quotekinna54 (268 ) 5:56 pm, Mon 14 Mar #4
This is an easy one:

125g butter
1/4cup cocoa
1cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2cup coconut
1 t vanilla essence
1/2 cup flour
1 t BP
handful choc chips

Melt in a pot the butter over a low heat, once melted add cocoa and stir in.
remove from heat and add sugar and mix. Add eggs one at a time and beat well afer each addition. Add coconut and vanilla essence, mix, and then the flour and BP. Lastly add choc chips.
Pour into a well greased slice tin and place in preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30-35mins.
Once out sprinkle with icing sugar and cut while still warm.
Yummy with whipped cream.

Quotedarbee13 (1893 ) 6:13 pm, Mon 14 Mar #5
Look for destitute gourmet's recipe. It's the best I've had.

Quotejulie_ (103 ) 8:24 pm, Mon 14 Mar #6
No matter what recipe you use, always use proper Dutch cocoa and vanilla extract and they'll be twice as good

Quotewillyow (3464 ) 11:21 am, Sun 20 Mar #7
Hi Ive used this recipe dozens of time since finding it on TM- very easy, no chocolate needed

Alison Holsts Fudge Brownies
125g butter
1 c sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c flour
5 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
Melt the butter in a pot but don't let it get hot. Take off heat and mix in eggs, sugar and vanilla. Sift in flour, cocoa and baking pdr. (add nuts or choc chips etc here) Pour into 20-23cm tin and spread it flat. Bake at 180c for about 30mins.
posted by sclaredy-cat

Quotejmonster (46 ) 12:29 pm, Sun 20 Mar #8
Ingredients
• 1 cup unsweetened apple purée/sauce
• 1/3 cup cocoa
• 3/4 cup self-raising flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
• 3/4 cup (70g) walnuts, chopped
Preheat the oven to 175°C and lightly spray or oil a 20x20cm baking dish.

Place apple purée in a medium-sized bowl. Sift in the cocoa, flour and baking soda. Add the sugar and salt and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix as this will toughen the brownies. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and the walnuts. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake for around 25-30 minutes or until the centre feels set and fudgy when a skewer is inserted.

Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before turning out. Cool completely before slicing into squares. If desired, dust with sifted icing sugar before serving.

Quotekiwigoldie (296 ) 12:45 pm, Sun 20 Mar #9
Love this one kiwigoldie, I make it all the time as it is much healthier with no butter in it and it's delicious :-)

Quotesleyle (685 ) 10:35 pm, Sun 20 Mar #10

blondehobbit, Mar 22, 7:51am
Does anyone have the Sophie Gray brownie recipe ?, (Frans Brownies I think it was called). It was fab. My book seems to have vanished and I want to make some more. Thanks

kiwisportsgirl, Apr 27, 8:05am
Bumping so I don't have to look so far if I decide to make one of these in the next few days.

bev00, Apr 27, 10:13am
bumping so it's not lost forever.

sarahb5, Apr 27, 11:33am
I stand by post #11 - still the best and easiest!

juliewn, Apr 28, 3:12am
Add a couple of cups of fresh or frozen berries - I use my frozen blackberries - to the brownie mix before putting it into the tin. divine!
I add them to chocolate self-saucing batter too. Just delicious.

sarahb5, Apr 28, 3:15am
Have used a can of boysenberries in brownies - yum, plums are good too - local cafe has a layer of plums in the middle and are delicious because they're still a bit tart

sarahb5, Apr 28, 10:13pm
I made my usual recipe yesterday (Katrina's #11) and put a layer of cooked plums in the middle - delicious

awoftam, Apr 29, 12:11am
Oh yum, sounds awesome, never thought to do that. Given all the sugar in brownies I have been trying some substituting sugar with dextrose and they work pretty well - esp if you don't like things too sweet. Gwenyth Paltrow also has a great recipe that uses brown rice syrup and maple syrup instead of sugar - given the sucrose in maple I use all brown rice and it is really yum. I also use a very light olive oil as opposed to a vege oil. Happy to type out if anyone wants the recipe.

awoftam, Apr 29, 12:14am

sarahb5, Apr 29, 12:40am
Where do you get the brown rice syrup from? I have seen agave syrup but not that ///

awoftam, Apr 29, 1:42am
Don't go near agave. It is loaded with sucrose and any company calling it a health food should be taken to Court. Soooooo misleading. Its like coconut sugar. As far as I am aware there is nothing to back up the claim it is any better for you than normal sugar. Anyhow, to your question.

I get mine from an organic store in Tauranga. There are several types. The one I use is made by Chantal Organics and has a mild sweet nutty flavor. I use it wherever a recipe calls for golden syrup, honey, or maple. You can buy online from iherb.com if no one in your town/city stocks it.

cookessentials, Aug 24, 11:58pm
I made this one of Annabel Langbeins and just used 1 cup of Macro GF flour.
Worked really well.

Annabel Langbein's ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE

Makes about 30 pieces.

2 cups chopped dates
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup boiling water
200g finely diced butter, at room temperature
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups caster sugar
1 cup dark cocoa, sifted
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
250g chocolate chipsordark chocolate, cut into small chunks

Preheat oven to 160°C and line a 30cm x 24cm slice tin with baking paper.
Put dates in a large bowl, add baking soda and boiling water and stir to combine.Add finely diced butter and stir until melted.Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
Mash softened dates with a fork to break them up to a creamy consistency.Stir in the eggs and vanilla until well combined.Stir in the sugar, then add the cocoa, flour and baking powder and stir until smooth.Stir in the chocolate chips or chunks.
Smooth into prepared tin and bake until it is set in the middle and begins to come away from the sides of the tin (about 50 minutes).
Cool before cutting into squares.
Stored in a sealed container it will keep for a couple of weeks.:

geldof (87 ) 10:07 pm, Wed 26 Dec #5

cookessentials, Aug 24, 11:59pm
FUDGY CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
225 gm butter
200gm dark chocolate
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1&1/4 tsp vanilla essence
1&1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa

Preheat oven to 180*C. Line a 30cm x 24cm sponge roll or baking tin with baking paper. Melt butter, add chocolate and stir over a low heat until melted. Mix in sugar and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla, then sift in flour and cocoa and mix just to combine.

Place in prepared tin and bake 35 minutes or until set. Cool in tin before cutting into squares. (If desired, spread or drizzle with 200gm melted dark chocolate before cutting.) Makes about 30 squares.

onakiss (1077 ) 9:45 pm, Fri 16 Aug #10

cookessentials, Aug 25, 12:09am
CHOCOLATE WALNUT BROWNIES

220g dark chocolate, chopped
150g butter, chopped
60ml water
165g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
3 eggs
150g dark chocolate chopped, extra
90g chopped walnuts

Grease a 23cm square slab cake pan, line with a strip of baking paper to cover base and extend up sides of pan for easy lifting when cooked. Place chocolate, water, butter and sugar into a medium saucepan, stir over low heat, without boiling, until the chocolate is melted: cool 10 mins. stir in flour, eggs, extra chocolate and nuts. Pour into pan. Bake in mod slow oven 45 mins. Cool in pan and dust with equal quantities of icing sugar and cocoa when cold

cookessentials, Aug 26, 10:27pm
There was a great brownie recipe in this weekends paper which I shall try and remember to post it had figs in it and was a gluten free recipe

cookessentials, Aug 28, 11:02pm
Thanks pam.delilah

Caramello Chocolate Brownies - makes 15
Ingredients
* 125g unsalted butter
* 200g dark chocolate, chopped
* 3/4 cup caster sugar
* 3 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup plain flour, sifted
* 2 x 110g packets caramel Easter eggs or 220gms Caramello Chocolate
* cocoa powder, to serve

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at all sides.

Place butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth and combined. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes.

Stir in beaten eggs and flour. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Spread top evenly with a spatula. Press chocolate eggs in brownie mixture. Bake for 25 minutes or until brownie is firm to touch. Cool in pan. Cut into 15 squares. Serve dusted with cocoa powder.

pam.delilah (694 ) 6:45 pm, Tue 24 Aug #8

marcs, Aug 29, 2:18pm
This is the one I make and I swap GF flour to make it gluten free. Very yum.

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/nigella-lawson/snow-flecked-brownies-recipe

cookessentials, Aug 31, 5:38am
Oh, that would be one winnie might like too