Sack of carrots. Oh what to do with them?

Page 1 / 2
bev00, Feb 15, 12:09pm
Spiced carrots
1 kg carrots
600ml white vinegar
600ml water 1 tab whole cloves
2tspns ground cinnamon
2 tspns sea salt (non iodised)
Put vinegar, water spices & salt into a stainless steel pan & boil for 5 mins, cover & leave to cool.
Wash peel & cut the carrots into halves or quarters lengthwise & cook in just enough water to cover until just tender. Drain- leave to cool & then pack into jars, strain the vinegar & pour it over the carrots to cover completely. seal
Leave at least 2 weeks before using, very good as hors d'ouevres.
Makes about 3 jam jars.

Sunset Marmalade
1 kg carrots
1 kg cooking apples
500g peaches
4 limes or lemons
1kg sugar (seems a lot)
675 g runny honey (still seems a lot)
Was scrape & dice the carrots. Peel core & dice the apples & peaches.
Grate the rind & extract the juice from the lemon/limes.
Put all of the ingredients into a large pan & stir well.
Heat gently & stir until the sugar has dissolved - bring to the boil & simmer, stirring frequently to prevent burning. When When the mixture is thick & translucent it's ready for potting up.
Extra sugar may be substituted for the honey (1750g . all up).
I have a few more recipes but will post them later . dinner preparation calls.

Quotesamanya (12) 5:42 pm, Tue 12 Feb #8

lythande1, Feb 15, 6:17pm
You can freeze carrots.

rainrain1, Feb 15, 7:50pm
Make some carrot and potato soup with chicken stock

gilligee, Feb 15, 8:13pm
And freeze all the lovely suggestions above and you can have the winter off cooking.

carlosjackal, Feb 16, 3:46am
If you have a whole sack (! ) I'd find someone who has a horse after keeping enough for myself and given some away - however, there are lots of great ideas on how to use them up in this thread, so maybe forget the horse idea!

mike1364, Feb 17, 8:45am
Get a couple of horses

lucky1989, Feb 18, 7:29am
my horses would love them :) if you have too many for your use donate them 2 a local riding school or pony place, or for example at my kindy a few carrots would be gratefully taken off your hands to make baking or for our shared morning tea :)

bev00, Mar 26, 10:34am
Annabel Langbeins sunshine carrot dip.

5 medium carrots,peeled and coarsely chopped
2tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup lemon juice
2tsp runny honey
2 tsb chopped mint,parsley or tarragon leaves
Salt and pepper

Boil carrots in lightly salted water until tender, drain.

Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook garlic and cumin seeds for a few minutes, until the become aromatic ( don't let the garlic go brown or it will become bitter). Place in a food processor with remaining ingredients and whizz until smooth.

Add seasonings to your desired taste.

Quotejaydan1 (241 ) 2:12 pm, Mon 25 Mar #2

sla11, Mar 27, 2:02am
We've had a glut from garden - all in the freezer, cubed & sliced ready for winter.

whitehead., Mar 27, 3:16am
i used to buy a whole sack and cut it open and just leave it sitting on the lawn it lasted about 3 weekd with out going soft . i had girls riding and they used to love a carrot after school ,i would go to give a leason and the horse had carrot all over its face and so did the kid it was a cheap fix for hungery teens

samanya, Mar 27, 3:27am
I often make this dip & it's delicious & always goes down well with guests. Leftovers go well in a sandwich because it's quite a thick mixture

quiz3, Mar 27, 4:37am
A sack! how good is that.
First thing I would do is give most of them away, friends, neighbours, any group you may belong to, op shop, family etc etc.
Keep enough back for yourself for the next two or so weeks.
They are cheap enough at the vege shop and who knows that generous person may give you you another sack full before you've got rid of this lot. Anyway they are my ideas!

artemis, Mar 27, 5:37am
A friend who was into juicing carrots used to give the residue from the juicer to her dogs. They loved it, and seemed to do them good.

akalea, May 15, 1:07am
Ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance

cookessentials, May 15, 1:11am
carrot and coriander soup, carrot juice, carrot muffins and carrot cake.

karenz, May 15, 1:14am
I had vegetarian friends who bought a sack of carrots and proceeded to make and consume large amounts of carrot juice, their skin turned a peculiar shade of orange, cheaper than going to Bali but not as much fun.

245sam, May 15, 1:19am
If kept in a cold place your carrots should keep for a number of weeks but some uses that spring to mind are: soup (I have a recipe for Carrot and Orange Soup if you'd like the recipe), carrot cake and/or muffins, carrot cheesecake, in stews and casseroles, in coleslaw/salads, carrot sticks served e.g. with dip and/or hummus, plus the obvious - as a vegetable - we enjoy carrots served in a variety of ways - as plain carrots, glazed, baked grated carrots, mash with swede, mash with parsnips (we always called that Marble Veg.), with parsley sauce.
From a little 'Carrot' book that I have now gifted to our daughter I have as yet untried recipes for Carrot Curry, Glazed Ragout of Carrots, Spiced Moroccan Carrots, Carrots in Cider, Carrots and Fennel in Wine and Cheese Sauce, Sweet Carrot Pudding - IMO, lucky you having so many of what I consider to be as much as an essential as onions.

Hope that helps. :-))

davidt4, May 15, 1:20am
Carrot Hummus

1.5 kg carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 ¼ c extra v olive oil
¼ c tahini
¼ c lemon juice
4 garlic cloves
1 tab cumin seeds, toasted and pulverised
pinch cayenne
¼ chopped parsley
salt & pepper

Heat oven to 180C. Toss carrots in ¼ c olive oil, spread on a baking sheet and roast 25 min until soft. Cool.

Combine carrots, tahini, juice, garlic, cumin, cayenne and parsley in food processor, process until smooth. With motor running gradually add rest of oil. Add salt & pepper, process again until smooth and airy.

Will keep for several days in the fridge. If it has been refrigerated, you may need to beat in a little more oil to regain its velvety texture.

davidt4, May 15, 1:21am
Afghani Chicken or Lamb & Carrot Pilaf (Qabili Pilaf)

serves 4

400g long grain rice, washed, soaked 30 min or longer, drained
4 tab olive oil
1 large onion, grated or chopped very finely
800g chicken or lamb cut into large pieces
750 ml water
2 - 3 large carrots cut into matchsticks
120g raisins
2 tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp saffron
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in an oven proof pan or casserole, fry the onion 3 minutes stirring. Add the meat, stir 3 minutes, add the water and some salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 30 - 60 minutes until the meat is tender.

Transfer the stock to a measuring jug (leave the meat in the pan) and make up to 600 ml with water if necessary. Spread the raisins and carrots over the meat, sprinkle over the cumin and saffron. Spread the drained rice on top, carefully pour in the stock, more salt and pepper.

Cover and simmer 15 minutes until al liquid absorbed. Either continue cooking in a 150C oven, or on a simmer mat, 25 - 40 minutes until the rice is swollen and tender. Serve hot.

davidt4, May 15, 1:23am
Turkish Carrot Purée (mezze)

4 large carrots, peeled, sliced, steamed
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tab olive oil
2 tab lemon juice
salt & pepper

sauce:

4 tab thick yoghurt
1 tab lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tab fresh mint, chopped
1 tab fresh dill, chopped

Mix sauce ingredients.

Purée carrots with other ingredients (smooth or coarse). Spoon into serving dish and make well in centre, pour in sauce.

Serve with flat bread or lettuce leaves.

davidt4, May 15, 1:23am
Moroccan Carrot Salad

500g carrots – peeled, in 6 x 1.5cm slices, boiled 10 min.

Dressing:

½ tsp paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
2 tab chopped parsley
1 tab lemon juice
2 tab olive oil
salt

Mix & chill 2 hours. Serve warm or tepid.

racheee, May 15, 1:43am
We do a lot of juicing with carrots so that is mainly what I would be doing with them!

buzzy110, May 15, 2:36am
FERMENTED CARROTS
PICKLED CARROT STICKS
• Cut organic carrots into classic kiwi carrot sticks (approx 700gms) and put into a preserving jar
• 3 tspn Unprocessed Rock or Sea Salt (dissolved in ¼cup boiling water)
• Add quality water until covered (rain, spring or filter)
• 4 Tbs Whey*
• To flavour add your choice of Coriander Seeds, Allspice berries, Black Peppercorns and/or Chillies or whatever else you like.

1. Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to fridge or cold storage.
2. Can be eaten after 2 weeks but will last a year or so in the fridge.
3. Drink the juice or add it and some of the spices into salads. The juice is filled with many nutrients including all the vitamin B range, except B12, vitamin C and anything else that is in the carrots, whey and salt and it is all bioavailable due to the fermenting process. So very healthy.

*WHEY – Put unsweetened natural yoghurt (yoghurt that is still living) into a sieve lined with a paper towel or cheesecloth, etc and place over a bowl to catch the whey that will separate out and use that. If you keep a continuous supply you can later on use some of the liquid that is in your jrs of already fermented carrot sticks to inoculate the new batch.

These are brilliant because they can be stored for use later in the year. They also retain their taste and texture so you can eat or use them just like you would raw carrots and they are so delicious.

asue, May 15, 3:37am
Cut up and freeze some or else find someone to swap some for something you would use

whitehead., May 15, 4:58am
take the bag out side split it open end to end and leave on the grass this way the carrots stay fresh and will last 3/4 weeks . i used to buy sacks of carrots for my kids ponys and they lasted well and there was always a kid with a carrot in their mouth , i hate to say unwashed and un peeled they all survived