3 ingredient chrissy cake is so easy and delish!

Page 2 / 2
willy911, Dec 15, 5:55am
u can ice it u want its up to u

nauru, Dec 15, 7:18am
I use my usual homemade marzipan and royal icing topping on my cake for Christmas.

winnie231, Dec 15, 7:55am
Hi Motorbo :)
It works fine with gf flour or baking mix.
Use either a self-raising variety or add 2tsp gf baking powder (Hansells).
I also add a mix of ground ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg or mixed spice for extra flavour (1-2 tsp in total).

dkpop, Dec 15, 10:42am
Made it and its soooooooooooooo good. I added mixed spice and cinnamon as thats all I had and made a butter icing with some almond in it. Very fruity and tastes beautiful. Thanks so much for inspiration!

odfrj, Dec 15, 7:26pm
I iced it with butter icing too. but I use brandy in it! yummy!

wheelz, Dec 15, 8:31pm
Is this cake dense? like as in a torte? Does it have much 'cake' to it ?
Thanks.

odfrj, Dec 15, 10:04pm
It's a cake. like a really good sultana/fruit cake!

dkpop, Dec 15, 10:34pm
I was very doubtful about this cake. My mother is amazing baker and she even thought not much too it. seriously it is beautiful. I am no baker but this is lovely moist heavy fruit cake. Very good.

claudds, Dec 15, 10:56pm
thanks odfrj for the xmas cake i am going to have a go maybe add some
drops of ess and a few chopped nuts. i guess we prepare the tin as per
usual for a fruit cake.its sounds so simple so only a silly person like me
might stuff it up.family will eat it any way.

bren16, Dec 16, 2:30am
PLEASE SOMEONE! .
How much spice would I add to this cake? . Cheers

jetxr8, Dec 16, 3:03am
Hi and thank you for this recipe. What BRAND of 1kg dried fruit mix packet, did you use, please? TIA.

popeye333, Dec 16, 3:25am
One thing that may help the diabetics.

I don't eat a lot of fruit cakes etc but do like a small slice every now and then.
But
I also from some strange reason like cheese with fruit cake. Being diabetic this would actually help to keep sugars lower. being protein.
Im not saying it does, but it may just help.

kay141, Dec 16, 3:32am
I've made this several times and have added chopped dark chocolate on occasions. I usually cut it into pieces and freeze some. It saves me having to eat it all at once. It freezes well.

bren16, Dec 16, 3:45am
Thankys elliehen. -

karenz, Dec 16, 4:53am
Last year I made up my own selection of dried fruit and nuts from the pick and mix, had pineapple, mango, pawpaw, big golden sultanas, currants, apricots, and some slivered almonds. I also used pineapple juice instead of orange juice, and mixed in some cinnamon and nutmeg, it was lovely. If I do it again I might add some flaked coconut.

jenny253, Dec 16, 5:25am
I made this cake using 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup of Coffee made with my Nepresso machine, also a good pour of brandy. Soaked the fruit in the liquid for 24 hours prior to adding flour, spices. Also placed almonds on top prior to baking instead of icing.

odfrj, Dec 16, 6:26am
I just used the cheapest 1kg mixed fruit cake mix at pac n save lol!

karenz, Dec 16, 6:33am
I bought the pick and mix fruit cake mix and added small quantities of the expensive stuff to make it more interesting.

nauru, Dec 16, 7:15am
Popeye, that's not strange at all, we always have cheese with fruit cake, part of our County Durham heritage. Also a NE of England tradition is to have a small slice of rice cake (made with ground rice) with the Christmas cake and Wensleydale cheese.

willy911, Dec 16, 7:33am
u can use any flavour of juice also try it with the 3 cups juice 3 cups flour u get more cake for the same amount of fruit

jynx66, Dec 16, 6:53pm
bren16, sorry, I've been away for the weekend (away from my computer, anyway). These are the amounts of spices I use; I do like my cake to have lots of flavour:
1 tsp each of ground ginger & mixed spice
½ tsp each of ground cloves & ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cardamom seeds

wheelz, Dec 17, 1:08am
Ok . by reading this, many have added to the ingredient list and method, from spices, eggs, nuts, differing liquids and soaking times from 10 min to overnight. Does that mean the original cake is heavy and lacking in taste without the additions, that it needed the improvements?
Trying to decide whether to try this one out, as the 12 "cake I have made is half eaten already. This one really ticks the taste box, but takes 10 days soaking time before a 5 hour bake. In 40 years of making cakes, this is the first one I just about need to lock away from hubby, who isn't a fan of fruit cakes.

nauru, Apr 2, 10:11am
Wheelz, I think that we have all made variations/additions to the original recipe to suit our own tastes. The original recipe is not lacking in taste at all without the additions, it makes a lovely cake. I add the spices and nuts as that's how we prefer our fruit cakes and as I used the recipe for my Christmas cake, I used half brandy, half juice to soak the fruit and left it to soak for longer than the original recipe stated but it's not necessary.