3 ingredient chrissy cake is so easy and delish!

Page 1 / 2
odfrj, Dec 11, 9:43am
I have done the 3 ingredient chrissy cake and iced it and have now cut it and wow it is delish!
1 kg dried fruit mix packet, 2 cups orange juice. mix and sit for 10min
add 2 cups of self raising flour.(I did add an egg just because) mix all together, put cake mix in a 20inch cake tin and bake for 1and half hours . Easy peasy!

nzhel, Dec 11, 10:49am
My sister who is a great cook and loves making everything from scratch says her 4 ingredient Xmas cake recipe is the best too - of which I was most surprised about! She does add extra spices and a few essences tho so its not strictly '4' ingredients. Must say I haven't tried it as yet.

jan2242, Dec 11, 10:10pm
What temp do you cook this at please?

susieq9, Dec 11, 10:52pm
I also make the above recipe. Good one for diabetics. I use 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup strong coffee or tea. Put in a few spices and essences. Cook it at 150C for appprox 2hrs.

jan2242, Dec 11, 11:04pm
great, many thanks susieq9

willy911, Dec 12, 8:10am
I make this too but I stretch it a bit more by using 3 cups juice and 3 cups flour I also add a bit of mixed spice and some crushed nuts sometimes and did u mean a 20cm pan not 20 inch
I only cook mine an hour

aktow, Dec 12, 1:02pm
that's not what my doctor says,, he said dried fruit, can raise blood sugar levels too high so avoid eating it.

worzel6, Dec 12, 5:34pm
I have been looking for this recipe! I got it off my in law when her daughter was a vegan and gave it to a friend of mine had a daughter who had to be lactose free. I haven't been able to find it and hadn't got around to asking for it again so thank you for posting it!

gabbysnana, Dec 12, 5:53pm
should be ginger ale not orange juice and fruit left overnight in the ale to ferment. moist cake.when comes out of slow oven gently pour 1 cup brandy over the top.wrap and leave to mature.

lilyfield, Dec 12, 6:15pm
That is the only fruitcake I ever make, equally suitable as weddingcake

retired, Dec 12, 8:25pm
Aktow you are so right. I avoid any fruit because of the sugar and make up by eating plenty of vegetables. Must admit I do have a mince pie and piece of cake over Christmas!

susieq9, Dec 12, 9:21pm
In moderation, and only a small piece. Fruit, natural sugars.

motorbo, Dec 12, 10:24pm
could it work with gluten free flour?

willy911, Dec 13, 12:12am
give it a try u have nothing to lose I always put the fruit and juice in big saucepan and bring to boil turn off and let it cool then add other stuff

motorbo, Dec 13, 1:45am
im not overly keen to waste good food, have you made it? does it rise at all?

willy911, Dec 13, 3:21am
hi haven't made it with gf flour it doesn't rise much anyway u could try making it in half the quantity

nauru, Dec 13, 5:24am
The recipe that I have also uses juice not ginger ale, there are several similar recipes doing the rounds. Like last year, I made this cake again this year as my Christmas cake but used half brandy, half juice and left fruit to soak for 2 weeks in the fridge, adding several spices and some chopped nuts with the flour (I used half wholemeal flour). It has baked beautifully and is now maturing awaiting it's marzipan and royal icing topping, I'm hoping that it tastes as good as last years cake did.

calista, Dec 13, 6:50am
Wow - I came here tonight specifically to ask or look for a 20cm Christmas cake and this thread was at the top of recipes - thanks

odfrj, Dec 13, 9:31am
I had friends around today. they loved the Chrissy cake! Almost all gone!

nauru, Dec 14, 8:21am
You will just have to make another one odfrj.

jynx66, Dec 14, 9:35am
I do the same cake except I swap half the orange juice for bourbon. Plenty of spices, too, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, allspice.

calista, Dec 14, 10:45pm
Yes, especially figs, as I discovered the other day (prunes are better- but can have other unfortunate effects ). There is however a diabetic recipe for Christmas cake on the Diabetic Society that has dried fruit but suggests only tiny slices. I admit that I cheat, but i do take the cake to share with friends, so I only eat a small amount. Also you can freeze it for months thus spreading the load.

dkpop, Dec 15, 2:31am
OK, this cake I can do. Thanks so much! My Mum always makes the cake and sad she not here to do it so might give it a go!

dkpop, Dec 15, 2:33am
Do you ice this cake at all?

bren16, Dec 15, 3:10am
Hi there. when you say plenty of spice, how much is enough? . (my first time making a crissy cake.). Cheers