Truffles

katalin2, Dec 7, 7:09pm
I would like to make some truffles for upcoming family wedding that will stay firm without refrigeration for a several hours while on the dessert table. The wedding is early January so it is likely to be quite hot. All my recipes need to be served straight from the fridge otherwise they tend to go soft. Any recipes for firm truffles or rum balls would be appreciated.

valentino, Dec 7, 7:45pm
Got this recipe from Chelsea Sugar Company, a huge hit and appreciated by many though only one each is sufficient. would be like those after dinner mints or wee after dinner and dessert items.

Yes, great if kept in the fridge for up to 10 days plus (so far had a couple and were still great after 10 days).

Oh, I don't use that salt, I usually leave it out, not keen on salt in my caramels or chocs.

Chocolate caramel salted Truffles

Ingredients

½ cup Chelsea Caster Sugar
2 Tablespoon water
½ cup cream
200g milk chocolate, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sea-salt flakes
Extra 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces

Method (Note:- I leave the salt out altogether, words in () are my added notes).

Put sugar and water in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
Cook, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to the boil, do not stir once it comes to the boil.
Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until mixture turns a rich caramel colour (don't stir otherwise you risk stirring in a stray sugar crystal which will 'seed' and cause the sugar to re-crystallise and constantly watch the mixture).
Add cream and shake the pan, (Be wary here, will need a thump on the side and bottom with a board). Also here it could crystalized a little - just keep going - it does come right after the cream and all is well mixed.

Stir until combined (sugar mixture will be one lumpy gooey sort-of-thing but must constantly stir), when it starts to bubble then (instantly) remove from heat and let bubbles subside (and continue stirring to blend all).
Add the chocolate, vanilla and half the salt, stirring until chocolate has melted (and well blended).
Transfer to a medium bowl (or leave in saucepan), cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
Line an oven tray with baking paper.
Roll about 2 teaspoons of the mixture into a small ball
(mixture is quite soft and you will need to give your hands a clean a few times throughout the process).
Repeat with remaining mixture.
Put balls on prepared tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
Put the extra chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
Stir occasionally until it melts and is smooth.
Dip each ball into chocolate to coat.
Return ball to prepared tray.
Sprinkle tops of truffles with remaining salt.
Set aside for 15 minutes or until chocolate has set.
Serve or package as gifts.
Pick up a gift box, line it with tissue paper and pop your truffles in – add a ribbon for an instant gift!

Noted that a bottle of cream is 300mil, Whitaker Chocolate is 250 grams.
Quantities to use bottle of cream;
1 ¼ cup castor sugar, 5 tablespoon water, 300mil bottle cream, 2 x 250g milk chocolate,
2 ½ teaspoon vanilla, 2 x 250g dark chocolate.

Cream is about 10 mil shy, very minute amount and still works.

Hint re breaking up of choc - leave choc as is all sealed and simply slam the bar on a solid surface a few times until broken in pieces sufficiently.

Cheers.

katalin2, Dec 7, 9:29pm
Thanks Valentino- but do they stay firm once out of the fridge for a few hours? I have been through previous threads and I am hoping for some recipes that will stay firm. Will try your recipe above, looks good.

sla11, Dec 7, 9:40pm
Why not make them then freeze - take out on the day - should last on table thawing?

sampa, Dec 7, 9:45pm
If you scroll down to 'variations' you'll find a few ideas here -

https://spinningsugar.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/all-atwitter-for-truffles/

hard site to read sorry. black background and all. Hopefully you'll get something useful from it though. Obviously what ever you make will have to be kept out of direct sunlight and. could they be displayed on a nice platter over a shallow dish containing ice hidden away underneath perhaps? Much nicer if they haven't reached the 'apply all over face while eating' stage once the moment of consumption arrives.

valentino, Dec 7, 10:54pm
The Dark Chocolate on the outside will stay firm for quite a while but as we all know, if it is a very hot day then God only knows how long they will stay firm. But at least the darker the choc - the longer it stays firm.

Try a batch prior and see for yourself, they will be thoroughly enjoyed for Christmas let alone your special occasion.

Editing to add . That link from sampa looks interesting.
Cheers

katalin2, Dec 7, 11:00pm
Have been trying them thanks, and most of them go soft on taking out of fridge or feezer, the ones I am looking for will need to stay firm unrefrigerated.

wheelz, Dec 7, 11:16pm
Can't they be stored in some one else's fridge then put in a chilly bin on the day until put out on tables?
I'd rather a chilled truffle than a warm melted one.

uswoman, Dec 8, 12:35am
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/127491/easy-oreo-truffles/

Easy to make! If you add a little melted canning wax to the melted chocolate coating , it will hold up a bit better in the heat.

valentino, Dec 8, 12:35am
Hmmm, maybe to have a purpose type Table in addition to the dessert table as noted, or in that dessert table a section where you can have these sweets on a refrigerated display like someone noted - bowl or tray of ice then platter of these treats but covered as to keep warm air out.

We have bain maries for warm foods, maybe the same but using ice unheated instead of heated water, but of course looking more presentable.

Another thought, have your special truffles all laid out on the platter etc then place in on the table surrounded in containers of ice with a nice dome cover over all until ready to dine and simply just lift the dome cover.

Then there are those portable refrigerated chilly bins that could be used by filling them in a nice setting within the chilly with the lid closed then when ready to dine, just open the lid, re-set the decorative settings and present the truffles in such manner. Like turning this section into a raised level setting upon the dessert table, hmmm, it is in my head but not in a photo format to show you hence a lot of words.

Hopes it all makes sense.

Cheers

moparpete, Dec 8, 12:59am
Hey, I made Allison Holst bliss balls or milk powder truffle and they are moist but hold shape even after you take them out from refrigerator couple of hrs earlier. They taste divine.I suggest if you have some time make a batch and see if you like them and take them out couple of hrs before serving .

katalin2, Dec 8, 3:06am
I don't want a warm melted one either which is why I am looking for a firm one. They will be in the fridge prior to being put out but will be left on the sweet table for people to nibble on together with other sweet treats such as macaroons, home made chocolates , lollies and wedding cake in place of a served dessert,

katalin2, Dec 8, 3:08am
Thanks for the above suggestions, will try them as I still have time to play around with ideas.

autumnwinds, Dec 8, 10:55am
I got these truffle variations from this forum years ago, and still my favs - so quick and easy, if rather messy, to make. Also makes heaps, so enough to give a plateful for an unexpected gift, or to neighbours, etc.

Recipe can be halved - but why would you? Lol.

Mint Slice / Tim-Tam / Toffee Pop Truffles
2 x 200g-250g packets chocolate biscuits (see note below),
250g cream cheese.

Whiz the biscuits and cream cheese together in a food processor, then roll the mixture into balls.

Roll the balls in chocolate hail or coconut, or freeze them, then dip them in melted chocolate.

Note: Use biscuits of choice e.g. Mint (or other flavour – mandarin, strawberry) Slice, Tim Tams, or Toffee Pops. :-))

Remember - once you bite into Christmas goodies, all the calories fall out. ;)

nadineb, Dec 15, 8:37am
Mint Truffles
1 small bag of small peppermint balls I use oddfallows
1 packet of chocolate thins
1/2 tin condensed milk

Crush peppermint balls and chocolate thins,combine with condensed milk.
Leave mixture in fridge for 5 minutes then shape into balls and roll in coconut.

dna187, Apr 6, 11:09am
I second these. Have made them every year, freeze well, stay firm. Good thing is like you said you can use whatever biscuit you fancy and quite often i actually get the homebrand or whatever similar tim tams biscuits since they are going to be squished anyway.