Skinning chicken drumsticks

calista, Nov 15, 8:45pm
Is there an easy way to do this please? I don't have much experience cooking chicken, but I have a baked chicken recipe that involves skinless drumsticks and when I cooked it for tea last night I made a mess of it.

TIA

fifie, Nov 15, 9:10pm

uli, Nov 15, 9:15pm
I would skin them from the top down. meaning do not start at the bone end but the wide end of a drumstick. The skin is looser there and you can most likely just peel it back about halfway down. Then take a small sharp kitchen knife and slide it under the skin towards the bone end and simply slice it off.

Or you can simply use a paper towel and pull the rest of the skin off.
Have a look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxkIL8dLJ9M
better than me trying to describe it.

uli, Nov 15, 9:17pm
Haha fifie - while i tried to explain it - you already found the video LOL

calista, Nov 15, 9:45pm
Thanks fifie and Uli, I never thought of youtube. Her chicken skin seemed looser than the ones I had, but the technique looks so easy I feel embarrassed for asking,

uli, Nov 15, 9:49pm
Nothing embarrassing - I remember well the first time i skinned a rabbit - took half an hour LOL (no u-tube then!). Later it took me 3 minutes. Just knowing the technique and practice.

Good luck next time!

imn, Nov 16, 1:16am
I skin our chick drums all the time. don't eat the skin. I run the knife around the bottom to cut the skin, then run a line vertically up the leg to the thick part. then peel off with my hands. doesn't take long. easy. make sure the knife is sharp though.

uli, Nov 16, 2:33am
Ummm - just one question - WHY do you not eat the skin? Best part of the chook in my eyes - just curious and NOT being nasty - so back off my 7 stalkers please - JUST being curious why one would throw the best part of a chook "away"?
Thanks for answers.

davidt4, Nov 16, 3:21am
I sometimes remove chicken skin (and add it to the stock I make from the rest of the trimmings), particularly if I'm making an Indian or Thai curry. As I understand it Indian cooks always remove the skin as it is regarded as unhygienic.

joybells2, Nov 16, 4:15am
I agree with Uli, leave it on, gives it flavour.

uli, Nov 16, 4:53am
yes davidt4 - I would class it as VERY unhygienic in INDIA lol - once has really really been enough for me to see and experience.

Now before the stalkers come in - this has nothing to do with Indians in India nor Indians living in NZ . and all to do with India as her usual self. Before posting breathe hard for several minutes - think about it - and then go and see India in all her glory yourself.

imn, Nov 16, 5:18am
Cause in our case, we don't like the taste of the skin. tastes awful. plus its full of the bad stuff. each to their own.
and I agree with #1 the skin in that u tube video IS looser than normal.

uli, Jun 25, 2:17am
The skin is full of the "bad stuff"?
And the meat right underneath is - what? Full of the "good stuff"?

Never mind. You eat what you like.
Have you got someone (dog or cat or neighbours) that could eat the "bad stuff"? Or are you literally "throwing it away"?