Burnt pot - help please!

otterhound, Aug 7, 2:30am
I left a pot unattended last week whilst making tamarillo relish. End result - severely burnt bottom of pot. So far I have tried soaking 24 hours in hot water with dishwashing powder (twice!); soaking in vinegar; simmering for about an hour with water and washing soda. All to no avail.
Does anyone have any other suggestions please (apart from NOT leaving a pot unattended!) ;)

womble37, Aug 7, 2:37am
put water in pot and add couple tablespoons of baking soda let sit for awhle

sla11, Aug 7, 2:37am
One old remedy - bury pot outside in dirt, suppose for a month or so. Never tried it, but supposedly works. Maybe last resort stuff.

otterhound, Aug 7, 2:38am
Oh - I also tried soaking overnight in straight bleach!

carriebradshaw, Aug 7, 2:51am
Salt! Cover the bottom of the pan in salt add a little water,being to boil and let boil away for a few mins and then turn it off.Let it sit overnight and then boil again and then scrub.I've tried this method a few times and always works.

lovelurking, Aug 7, 3:21am
Yes it does work. My Mum taught me this, she says something in the soil (enzymes I think) gets rid of the burnt stuff. It takes ages though.

otterhound, Aug 7, 3:35am
Oh yes -womble I also tried soaking overnight in a water and baking soda! ;)

It is currently sitting on the bench having just had water and baking soda boiling in it for 10 minutes, then I added white vinegar. Seems to have move a tiny bit of the burnt stuff. So my next two things to try will be salt, and probably oven cleaner. If all this doesn't work, I may have to admit defeat. I hate that!

samanya, Aug 7, 3:56am
I use a strong solution of dishwasher powder/water . boil it up & let it sit overnight or longer & it works for me.

otterhound, Aug 7, 5:29am
I think I'm finally making headway . the first coating of oven cleaner has lifted about 70% of it, so I have re-applied. Looks like I might get to keep my pot after all.

samanya, Aug 7, 5:49am
. great!

flower-child01, Aug 7, 11:38pm
Place a half cup of baking soda and heaps of boiling water, bring to boil, leave overnight. The burnt stuff will fall off.

pericles, Aug 8, 1:04am
don't know if it works, but I have heard bury in the garden for a few days

lythande1, Aug 8, 2:09am
Oven cleaner.

otterhound, Aug 8, 2:26am
Yep - 100% success with oven cleaner. =) Took two applications, but it finally worked. Thanks everyone.

gardner12, Aug 8, 5:40am
boil it with rhubarb

ffloss, Aug 8, 7:30am
Why waste the rhubarb. Yum.

jono2912, Jan 14, 5:48pm
Napisan or persil ultimate. Soak overnight (: