Crock pot experts please!

tramore, Jul 4, 2:20am
Why do my potatoes not cook ? They are cut reasonably small, and placed at the bottom of the pot but they are still firm even when cooked for 8 hours or more in a stew. I leave the lid on and there is plenty of liquid. Frustrating. I have even tried parboiling them first! Advice please. I have 2 Ralta crockpots and it happens in either pot.

buzzy110, Jul 4, 3:59am
I notice you haven't had any replies. If I come into a thread on crockpots there are always heaps of responses to dispute anything I say so I'm going to add in my twopenneth worth so that you get some help for those who know better.

I'd like to say that I have never been able to get potatoes, or pulses to cook in my crockpot if they haven't been pre-cooked (another reason why I think they are a total waste of time - because why pre-cook then cook again?) but considering that lythandel will, once again, accuse me of being stupid, I'm sure she'll be along soon to help you.

You could, on the other hand, check the recipe/instruction book your crock came with for advice. My crock booklet says, "Root vegetables, such as potatoes, should be cooked on high" (and cut into small, even sized pieces. And if that is what it says then it must be right, yes - even though it has never worked for me, it is only because I don't hold my face the right way when I'm doing it apparently.

2bakerz, Jul 4, 4:05am
I have to agree re the potatoes - I now either cut them up VERY small or simply do them on the stove.I notice that the carrots need to be cut fairly small, too.

squeakygirl, Jul 4, 4:07am
Cut them small and put around the sides as that is where the element is.

fifie, Jul 4, 4:16am
I find with my ralta crockpot potatoes never cook properly either, but if i use my new slow cooker and cut them up smaller placing around the sides as someone has suggested they cook fine. Reason being the slowcooker cooks at a hotter temperature than the old crockpot does.

norse_westie, Jul 4, 4:55am
Mine seem to cook fine, but I dont put them around roasts, I only usually use them in soups or casseroles, so maybe the amount of liquid is a reason.I also have an old fashioned crockpot and I really do think they are much better than the slow cookers.

nzhel, Jul 4, 5:17am
I don't seem to have ever had a problem with either my elderly crockpot or my newer slower cooker. Perhaps I've always been just lucky or something! I try to keep the vegetable pieces all much the same size and always put them in first so they are on the bottom of the bowl - then add the meat etc. I keep the cooker on high for two or three hours or so (with the old one) then turn it to low for the rest of the time. I also like to stir the recipe so like to take the lid off occasionally to move the casserole around several times. Its not recommended to take off the lid as the temperature drops and takes a while to come back up again - but this also has never been a problem. I do a meat loaf that I sit on a thick bed of root vegies and the vegetables are always cooked right thru as well as the loaf.

rainrain1, Jul 4, 7:55am
tramore .....slice your potatoes up thinly and layer them on the bottom of your greased crock pot....then your meat etc.they will cook just fine...don't stir them though....pumpkin is good also

kuaka, Jul 4, 7:58am
I think it depends more on the type of potatoes you are cooking, some cook much more quickly than others, some are watery, some floury, some waxy.I find agria cook okay in the crockpot, but most of the others don't unless they are cut so small they virtually disintegrate.

uli, Jul 4, 8:06am
Why worry the crockpot with potatoes?
You could steam them (15 minutes)
or boil them (10 minutes)
or even cut them up small and fry them (5 minutes)

All of the above will produce a tastier potato than anything the crockpot would do. Do give it a go.

cottagerose, Jul 4, 8:08am
My recipes all say to do this too

tramore, Jul 6, 8:11am
Thank you so much.Lots of helpful advice, much appreciated.