Dysfunctional relationship with food

Page 2 / 3
pogram0, Nov 9, 6:58am
In my family (I was born in the 1940s) we had a very restrictive diet - there just was not the variety of foods around in those days and there were six fussy children to feed. I think our normal weekly diet would have included no more than 15 - 20 different foods. I have to admit I am still a bit like that - I don't try new things very often - I am not one for 'fine food' - I guess a product of my upbringing.

samanya, Nov 9, 7:07am
So am I . although I have just realised that buzzy is quite old in comparison & it must have been a huge learning curve for her over the years,. well done buzzy!

wasala, Nov 9, 7:52am
My parents were very well-travelled and sophisticated yet when we first got tubs of sweetened fruit yoghurt in the 1970s, mother still had us stir a teaspoon of sugar into each one before eating. Everybody lives and learns!

wendalls, Nov 9, 9:01am
I didn't read any jeering Buzzy. People were agreeing with you, although wasala did call you misguided which is a bit rude! I'm in my 40s and didn't have most of those foods either. I think we are all in agreement that the journalists or whoevers theory is flawed.
Wasala isn't it "fit as a fiddle"and "silly old trout"? Haha not sure what you were getting at there.
Uli your G Psounds sensible and I think you meant the term "false negative" rather than wrong negative although they are very close. How do you get to see a pic of Wasala?

wasala, Nov 9, 7:25pm
She sees me in her mind's eye as an ox now, Wendells. But I said 'hearty as' where it should actually be 'strong as'. If you google 'fit as a trout' that's a well-known slang term too.

camper18, Nov 9, 8:52pm
Born in the early 40s reacted badly to plain cows milk. covered in eczema. Easy fix, my grandmother who had 10 bubs changed me to goats milk, problem solved for the time being until we went farming when I was 8 and I just drank the good old cows milk again. Struggled with eczema pretty much most of my life since then and being a farmers wife later having to milk cows didnt help much either, but have continued to drink cows milk to this day and now rarely get a flare up. Only anaphalaxis attack I have ever had was from a medically prescribed drug from the Dr for a urine infection. Within 10mins of taking it I was in serious trouble but luckily only live 1k from the hospital so was able to be treated promptly but it was still 3 days of intense treatment.

buzzy110, Nov 9, 9:23pm
Thanks. I understand now that there are people who still have a lot to learn. Or of course maybe some people are just slow learners.

uli, Nov 10, 2:39am
Always interesting what people "realize" without having any old idea about reality LOL :)
I wonder how old you think I am then - if buzzy is "quite old"?
And i wonder how "old" you are samanya.

uli, Nov 10, 2:41am
I definitely see you as a "hearty ox" wasala.
And if you insist I will include "strong as" as well :)
However that brings my mind to the Dargaville Field Days and their strong and hearty ox teams .

samanya, Nov 10, 6:30am
OMG, is the internet real, maybe it is for some, who have insular lives/interests?
I don't give a rats about how old you are uli, it's none of my business.
What I do mind is negative attitudes etc & how helpful people are in a forum.

samanya, Nov 10, 6:33am
I agree & then there are some who proclaim to all & sundry that their way is the only way & their lives are absolutely 'poifect' & yet they come across as disturbed & unhappy people . why would that be. maybe they are the slow learners?

wasala, Nov 10, 7:36am
Perhaps their lives are perfect - to them - but with the amount of time spent obsessing about food; telling us all that low-carb, high fat or whichever other pop diet will save the world - thundering righteously that everybody else has got it wrong, there can't be time for much fun. Perhaps taking things a little less seriously in general might help!

wendalls, Nov 10, 7:39am
Oh yes Strong as an ox. I guess I am missing a lot of the hidden innuendos. Ox being a cow maybe?
How did this thread go bad. ? Blimen heck you guys!
I'm looking at Samanyas post and it doesn't seem too bad. So she has stated that she thinks Buzzy is somewhat older than maybe Samanya is. That could well be right. She is implying that the Internet or technology or everything could have been a steep learning curve. ok I guess with the history between you guys that could be quite patronising. The 'well done' at the end of it doesn't work. So now it's open warfare again.

wasala, Nov 10, 7:56am
The thread's not gone bad has it? I described my state of health as 'hearty as an ox', though I now realise that the term is 'strong as an ox'. This tickled Uli's funny-bone and she got all witty about imagining me as an ox. Don't worry - we're all friends!

daarhn, Nov 10, 7:57am
Changing the thread title to.

Dysfunctional relationship with. each other!

Don't make me walk to the kitchen and open the second draw down

samanya, Nov 10, 9:04am
Don't do it, daarhnling . in my kitchen you'd only find sharp knives, herb snips, garlic press etc in the second drawer down . not worth it!
Enjoy your food & eat to live . not live to eat.

samanya, Nov 10, 9:10am
I wasn't implying anything . just stating the fact that 'healthy' food options have changed big time over a few years. My parents offered the best that they knew how to for their kids & today it wouldn't be considered all that healthy . we all live & learn. If we don't, well there's a problem.

buzzy110, Nov 10, 11:04pm
No wendalls it isn't. Well at least from me. I have a life. You sound like a kind and caring individual. You don't need fallout. Just know that we can always tell what type of person people are from the way they post.

samanya, Nov 10, 11:57pm
I agree.

wasala, Nov 11, 12:35am
And so do I so it's good that we're on the same page for that, at least

wendalls, Nov 11, 1:12am
Ok cool! Daarhn seems to have read it like me too though. I guess it's that well known message board phenomenon of not having the benefit of expression etc with the written word and reading all sorts in to things that the writer never meant to imply. (Sometimes. ) Other times you are left wondering. Was that directed at me? Or at so and so? The clever writer knows full well that it could be taken in differnt ways. And that's not directed at any person in particular. Seems to be the fun of the message board for many, and is often entertaining but sometimes over my head. Keep up the good natured banter then posters! Well done Daarhrn for keeping your second draw shut away!

uli, Nov 11, 1:31am
Hmmm - I have herbs and spices in my second drawer :)

And well - if you are going to draw knives over some bantering - then really you DO need to get a life OFF the internet.

Which very luckily I have :)

samanya, Nov 11, 5:06am
I've always thought that we were on the same page, on most culinary subjects. what have I missed?
As I see it . we all have choices in what we choose to eat.
We can read, learn & decide.
Every week there is something else in our diet that the zealots jump on & claim that we are going to get cancer, etc etc if we touch the stuff.
I'm so over that.
I eat 99% home grown produce, meat, eggs fruit & veges. I use grains of all varieties . all in moderation & that's my choice & so far I'm happy with that choice.
I even drink the occasional meal by blitzing a heap of fresh ingredients in a Nutri Bullet . how bad is that!

wasala, Nov 11, 7:04am
Yes, that's a very sensible attitude. I was just agreeing that you can tell a lot about people from the way that they post!

awoftam, Jul 5, 1:01am
Indeed.