Rice pudding experts? Help please

tippsey, Nov 7, 4:04am
Hmm. yes I have usually used the recipe in the Edmonds book. gosh my book says 2 Tbsp of rice or sago to the 600 mls milk. so it would be even runnier. lol Just keep cooking it for longer.

tippsey, Nov 7, 4:05am
Do you have a slow cooker? I found it was easier to do it in my slow cooker.

diddlypop, Nov 7, 4:06am
I use a ' flaked ' rice pudding recipe that we just love and doesn't take as long to make. Flaked rice can be bought from NW supermarket.
600ml milk
1 cup flaked rice
2tbs sugar
pinch of salt
2 beaten eggs
tsp vanilla escence
Bring milk to the boil. Add rice, sugar, salt. Keep stirring till it is thick. Take off the stove. Lastly add eggs and vanilla.
Yummy with cold peaches and vanilla icecream.

tippsey, Nov 7, 4:35am
Old Fashioned Slow Cooker Rice Pudding

Ingredients:

3/4 cup long-grain white rice
3 cups milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
sweetened whipped cream

Directions:

1 In a colander, rinse rice thoroughly under cold water.
2 Put in lightly greased slow cooker. I use a round, 3.5 to 4 qt cooker.
3 Add remaining ingredients, except for butter & whipped cream.
4 Stir to combine.
5 Pour butter over rice mixture.
6 Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until rice has absorbed the liquid.
7 When ready to serve, spoon into dessert bowls and top with sweetened whipped cream.

motorbo, Nov 7, 4:57am
I have to say ive never been able to make it. same recipe you are using. but stove top creamed rice - awesome and easy to make,. and ive done it with coconut milk. even better

geldof, Nov 7, 4:59am
It takes ages to cook down to a nice creamy consistency, but worth the wait.
I used to put mine on at about 2pm at 120 130 deg for dinner at 6.

tippsey, Nov 7, 6:15am
Well done. Now you know it takes longer . or try it in the slowcooker.

gilligee, Nov 7, 7:16am
I always simmer in pot on the stove for creamy rice and always use short grain.

niffer13, Nov 7, 8:24am
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup short grain rice {I only use short grain}
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
Melt butter in pot add rice then sugar. Cook until sticky. Add milk & cream bring to simmering.
Then transfer to an oven dish cook 90min in moderate oven.
This is to die for. I am making 2-3 times a week for my sick husband.
Very caramel flavoured. Nicer second night.

molly37, Nov 7, 2:07pm
We used to love Flemings Flaked Rice. I thought they didnt make it anymore. Is the NW one a bulk bin variety or in a packet. Did try the bin inn once but not quite the same.

diddlypop, Nov 25, 1:41am
I use Sunvalley Food flaked rice. Can buy it at NW although saying that it doesn't seem to be always there. When I do see it there I usually stock up on it.

camper18, Nov 25, 2:15am
I never put the sugar in my rice pudding until it has finished cooking. Then it stays nice and white.

kindajojo, Nov 25, 5:39am
Cook the rice first and use short grain rice.

flower-child01, Nov 26, 3:03am
Creamed rice pudding

Creamed rice is my go-to dessert when there’s nothing in the house and it’s too cold to venture out.

½ (half) cup short grain or risotto rice
3 cups full cream milk
200ml thickened cream
50g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Place rice in medium saucepan with 2 ½ cups water and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, drain and rinse rice under cold water.
Return rice to clean saucepan, add milk, cream, caster sugar and vanilla. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour until rice is tender and liquid is thick.
Remove from heat and serve.

meynells, Nov 27, 1:37am
Haven't read thread so apologies if this has already been said! . I always use edmonds recipe and it always turns out well. If you are short on time, you can use the same recipe and just simmer on low heat on the stove. Be sure to stir often. If it gets too thick before rice is cooked properly (nothing worse than crunchy rice!) just add some extra milk and carry on cooking. This is a fave in my house with the kids and guilt free too!

bev00, May 29, 6:20pm
bump to save