Who was looking for easy quick gravy?

Page 1 / 2
karrie3, Jul 26, 8:57am
I remember a thread a while ago, someone wanted a quick instant gravy.
Today I saw a new product in Countdown, tubes of Colman's gravy in 3 flavours, mix a bit with boiling water, quick stir and it's done
Cost $4.99

sarahb5, Jul 26, 9:41am
So a stock cube and a bit of flour is too difficult?

lythande1, Jul 26, 8:03pm
The bits stuck at bottom of frying pan or baking dish and some vege water is too difficult?

tex-tickle, Jul 26, 8:17pm
How rude.

OP simply offered a suggestion to a query which somebody had.

sarahb5, Jul 26, 9:40pm
Not rude at all - just think that $4.99 is a lot of money to pay for something that couldn't really be much easier to make unless you actually buy a pouch of ready made gravy which has none of the taste and flavour from the meat you're serving it with by way of the actual meat juices, etc.

rainrain1, Jul 26, 9:50pm
Who are you trying to kid? It was rude

rainrain1, Jul 26, 9:51pm
I must watch out for that product, thanks for that

sarahb5, Jul 26, 10:34pm
My apologies OP if you found my flippant and possibly a little facetious comment to be rude - this was not my intention.

oruff, Jul 27, 12:48am
Bisto

standard, Jul 27, 2:33am
It was my close friend looking for a quick gravy for her terminally ill husbands meals to make them more interesting, I hope she doesn't read your smart remarks !

sarahb5, Jul 27, 2:39am
For which I have apologised

vomo2, Jul 27, 2:45am
I buy Homebrand pacet gravy. Itsceasy and excellent. I sometimes add eithervred wine and / or mixed herbs. But I will try the tube next time just for interest. It will be a while as the Homebrand packet lasts ages.

kaddiew, Jul 27, 5:11am
Thanks OP. Sometimes you just want a little gravy, and you don't have a roasting pan of caramelised bits, and some vege water on hand.

uli, Jul 27, 5:58am
*snickers* - could have been me.
So what is the non-rude approach to "easy quick gravy"?
I realize we do not even talk flavour or healthy here.

vmax2, Jul 27, 6:03am
I've never been able to master a gravy. I don't use flour at all now, so I suppose that option isn't open to me.

niffer13, Jul 27, 6:42am
Thank you it was me wanting the "instant gravy" You may also remember that the thread became a "bun fight" & a long standing poster was banded from TMe.

samanya, Jul 27, 6:44am
Good onya sarah, for apologising. A lot can't for some reason.
I remember the last thread very well & it was all my fault, (sort of) because I posted a recipe I hadn't tried (& said so) It all turned to shi*e rather quickly when my personal stalker made an appearance in recipes for the first time ever & gave a lecture on REAL gravy . as if we all didn't already know!
& because he was such an objectionable type, lots of people jumped in & called him out & guess what, they were banned along with the sheeprussy one.
Quite sad really, when all of us were trying to give the OP some suggestions . such is life, unfortunately.

samanya, Jul 27, 6:45am
There were a few banned along with one of the most valuable posters, elliehen.

uli, Jul 27, 7:28am
vmax2 - of course you can - just use non-grain stuff to thicken whatever is left over at the bottom of the roasting dish!

After roasting whatever meat - take it out, keep warm and add some water, stock, bone broth even :) or maybe even red wine!

Use it to loosen what ever has stuck to the pan and then thicken it with whatever works for you.

You could use carrageen (seaweed) or any other non-grain based thickener like xanthan gum or whatever else the other thingybit is called. I am sure someone will call in and fill you (and me) in on that.

If everything else fails you can use lots of veges which you roast with the roast (like leeks, carrots, celeriac etc) and put them through a mouli. They will thicken your gravy without anything else to add.

All the best for the best roasts!

eastie3, Jul 27, 7:51am
I like the tip regarding using the veges ,Uli. If I'm roasting lamb I put it on a bed of red onions and rosemary and that makes for a tasty gravy, although I realise that this doesn't address OP's question.

nauru, Jul 27, 7:51am
A friend of mine always puts chopped carrot, celery, onion and a few garlic cloves on the base of her roasting dish then places the roast of whatever meat she is cooking on top. At the end of cooking, she removes the meat to rest, drains off any surplus fat, adds a little stock to the veges and then hand blends it all to make a great flavourful gravy.

rainrain1, Jul 27, 8:14am
Yea I miss elliehen, me and her started off badly, but I grew to really like her, dunno if she felt the same about me, ha ha. but I have a wee feeling she kind of did. She recommended me a book once about shearing in Oz, and it so happened my son had worked with some of the people mentioned in the book. Bring her back TradeMe, wish you would.

vmax2, Jul 27, 8:58am
If it's so quick to make using roast juices and a bit of flour then why do people resort to packet stuff?

Success sort of. I had a roast of beef in oven when I made the last comment. I made a gravy using some gluten free flour (not that I wanted to as I don't generally use flour of any sort). It wasn't perfect but better than other attempts in the past. Family approved (well mostly). Thanks.

samanya, Jul 27, 9:38am
I started a thread 'bring back elliehen' & it was swiped PDQ
I'm sure that she did like you, she is that kind of person.
She could see the poseurs for what they are & could sort out them from the genuine people.

kay141, Jul 27, 8:11pm
I remember the original thread and posted in it. The gravy was wanted to make the food easier to swallow for a terminally ill husband, not to add nutrition. A roast was not always the meat for the meal and so something quick, easy and tasty was required. The thread attracted the usual posters with their ideas of nutrition and deteriorated in it's usual manner.
Surprise, surprise, it is happening again.