Making a steam pud, quick need an answer...

korbo, Jan 21, 8:05pm
decided just now to try the steam pud in the crockpot.
got the recipe off here, but do i cover the bowl with the pud in, if so, gladwrap or tinfoil....thanks.

lilyfield, Jan 21, 8:07pm
any

245sam, Jan 21, 8:09pm
korbo, yes cover the bowl and I would use foil.:-))

korbo, Jan 21, 9:44pm
have it in the crockpot, but just realise i havent put the bowl on a trivet, dont have one. will it be ok..
Did have a little bit of a job when placing the bowl into the crockpot. it kinda dropped down.
any hints for an easier way

melford, Jan 21, 9:51pm
Put an upturned saucer in and sit it on that.

korbo, Jan 21, 9:58pm
it is too hot to handle now...not sure how i am going to get the bowl out of the crockpot either.
I am a pretty good cook, and should know all the answers to this, but have never made a steampud before.

harrislucinda, Jan 21, 10:20pm
mycrockpotsayputpudding,sinwaterjusttocoverthebottomsothebowlisnotsittingdirectontheheat

ibcreative, Jan 21, 10:25pm
Yes, a recipe on here says to just put 1 1/2 cups of water in the crockpot, so you should be able to remove the pudding bowl with an oven glove.

creeky1, Jan 21, 11:49pm
when i steam my pud it's 2 layer grease proof and 2 layer tinfoil tied with string. Usually it's for christmas pud and these suckers take 5 hrs to cook so the cover has to last the distance.

korbo, Jan 22, 12:56am
well that steam pud was a disaster....the birds are now enjoying an early dessert......

I followed the recipe correctly, cooked for 3.25hrs. when I took the lid off, and the tinfoil off, it had risen to the top of bowl.
Left it for 10mins to cool a bit, it had shrunk a lot 1/2 in fact..got it out, tipped onto the plate, and after about 5mins of poking and prodding it came out. It looked great, with the gold syrup on the top....welll....put the knife in, and it was 3/4 doughy. you really couldnt eat it.....it was horrible...

CAN SOMEONE try and tell me what couldve gone wrong.

noelee, Jan 22, 1:47am
Have you tried cooking steam pudding in a oven bag does work fine,if you worried if bag bursts try using 2bags, good luck.

kuaka, Jan 22, 7:44am
when mum used to do a steamed pudding in a saucepan she always covered it with a "pudding cloth" which always looked like a piece of old sheet that had been used and used umpteen times so that it was sort of impregnated with buttery residue, and then she tied some string (also always kept for the purpose) around the basin, and then tied a handle with it, so that when the pudding was cooked, she could lift it out of the saucepan with the string handle.

angel404, Jan 22, 7:48am
i have a recipe for a steam pud for the microwave if u want it. its easy as and yum.

245sam, Jan 22, 8:56am
korbo, I have been at an all day meeting so I'm sorry I wasn't able to answer your 11.01 a.m. question and I'm really sorry to read that your pudding wasn't a success.

Which recipe was it that you used - the recipe at #3 or one of the one's at #2 (in the thread 245 sam help)? I haven't used the recipe at #3 but I have used both of the recipes at #2 and have had no problems with either of them - in fact, the marmalade one is one of our firm favourites so I've made it lots of times, cooked in a saucepan in pre-crockpot days, then later in the crockpot and with great success whichever way I've cooked them. I can assure you that the crockpot/slow cooker is really great for cooking steamed puds so I'd like to help you understand what happened that you finished up with "a disaster" (your words) so that you feel confident about cooking your steamed puds that way again.

Here's some info' from Joan Bishop that may be helpful for you in future.....
"Do put a trivet under the cake tin, souffle dish or pudding basin. This lifts the container off the base of the crockpot and allows a better circulation of air or water. If a suitable trivet is not available, use the screw top ring of a preserving jar or even a 50c piece."

"Foil Straps or Handles
A band of folded aluminium foil about 5cm wide makes the lifting out of hot cake tins and pudding basins much easier. Fold a long piece of foil (about 70cm) in half and then in half again. Placed under the container, this band of foil anables you to lift the hot containers out of the crockpot with reasonable ease."

As a matter of interest, did you cook your pudding on HIGH? If not, that could account for your pudding not being cooked properly, and another thought is this - was the steaming bowl too small so that the pudding did not have sufficient room to rise and cook through properly?

Hope the above helps, and please do ask if you have any thoughts/questions that may help to explain why you were disappointed this time. :-))

fifie, Jan 22, 9:22am
Sounds to me it may have needed a bit longer cooking? Was it a self saucing one with syrup and boiling water in the sauce? I use my old C'P for puddings not as hot or quick as the newer ones put the bowl into it pre heated which sits on a upturned preserving jar ring cover to let hot air circulate, cover it with B paper and foil no water and it works for me, it does take longer to cook at least 4 hrs on high, Tip for steam puddings getting them out of a tight fit tie a piece of string around top of tin foil covering bowl tight, then tie another bit little bit loose from side to side across top lower it into C/P when cooked lift it out gently with tongs etc no burnt fingers then. Try again preheating C/P, sitting bowl on a ring or upturned saucer and maybe cook a little longer if you have a older C/P.

olwen, Feb 20, 11:58am
Cover it with bakingpaper, with a pleat across the middle.Tie it on with string and leave handles to get it out.