Mussels

esykes, May 1, 3:09am
Have been given about 4kg of mussels, going into put into jars for work, what should I do.

kimkat1, May 1, 5:57am
mmmm mussel fritters... yummy... otherwise, onion and vinegar I always add to my jars, and a pinch( 1/2 tsp) of sugar...

fisher, May 1, 6:14am
Steam them till they just open. . Plunge into cold water in sink and remove from shell. . remove beards, cut in half and place in a glass bowl. . dice up a large onion and two large tomatoes, tear up 8 basil leaves and add all to mussels... good grind of black pepper and mix well. . spoon into sterilised jars and top up with malt vinegar... store in fridge...

bin-boy-lin, May 1, 6:30am
My method, steam until just open. Important retain the water that was used to steam them. Remove mussels and debeard also remove the grissly bit if one desires. Place in clean jars with finely sliced onion pepper etc. Using the water that was kept from the steaming carefully pour into a container leaving behind any shell of bits & pieces. Now mix this water 50/50 with malt vinegar and brown sugar. (to taste) It is hard to give out measurements when one does not know the amount of mussels, I usually just go with the flow and do it to taste.
Chill until ready to use.

esykes, May 1, 8:51pm
Cheers everybody

fisher, Mar 23, 3:46pm
(post #3)You can add some halved and deseeded red chillies to a jar or two if you want a bit of heat...