Cooking from Scratch

Page 1 / 2
uli, Sep 24, 9:06pm
Just imagine the supermarket closes down and you would have to make everything from scratch yourself . a sandwich could take 6 months to make!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvWSsAgtJE#t=14

lindylambchops1, Sep 24, 10:08pm
Omg! Amazing all that work & it just tastes ok! Food for thought! Thanks Uli for posting. Interesting!

sampa, Sep 25, 3:43am
Not that long ago there were many people making stuff from scratch. In NZ (as in many places all over the world) it was referred to as pioneering (among other names) and people - woman - didn't have a lot of choice in many cases. If they didn't make the bread, milk the cow - if they were lucky enough to have one - collect the eggs - again, if they were lucky, sow a veggie garden and get to know which native plants were edible and have a husband and/or sons that could bring in the odd bit of protein - Wood Pigeon anyone? - they were srewe. umm, sorry, not acceptable MB language there. out of luck. And many had a family including lots of little ones that also needed school lessons (from Ma) and nursing for their minor, or not so minor ailments, from Ma again and their meals (hopefully) appearing in a somewhat regular fashion.

If those women could have imagined a Supermarket (and had the funds available to purchase from it) it's likely that it would have represented their idea of Heaven. Much respect to them and the legacy they leave behind in some of the recipes and other know-how we still use to this day.

daarhn, Sep 25, 3:59am
Most of my meals I make from scratch. I grow it, cook it, and eat it. From homemade sauces, pickles preserves, pastes. Spices for base dishes, curries sauces etc. Making cheeses, breads, pastries baking etc. mains desserts all sorts. Parties are fantastic as it's an opportunity to show case signature and unusual plus fav dishes. I used to do home kill, raising the stock ourselves, prepped cooked on the table. Smoked continental meats, sausages, salamis, bacon speck, fish. Homemade vino. I'm vege/vegan which I think makes cooking from scratch easier, especially as I was raised to cook learning from my Baba and Tete's then self taught from cultures all parts of the world. I'm at home in the market place, the garden, in the vineyard, orchard and kitchen. Patience at times, my fair share of disasters but always, always learning, honing skills and searching for that next dish to make. Sharing our knowledge how to grow and cook from scratch is important skill to influence our next generations and those that have been less fortunate to be exposed to a world of food fair. Here on these boards I've discovered and made many a dish shared by our fellow foodies.

rainrain1, Sep 25, 4:33am
Darn it! Write a book!

uli, Sep 25, 4:49am
Yes I do the same including home kills, sausages, smoking etc.
However I am not making my own salt or threshing my own wheat (yet) as in the video :)

samanya, Sep 25, 5:16am
I have a recipe book/ documented accounts called Colonial Fare by Jill Brewis & it's full of contributions by pioneer women starting from their first impressions of NZ, building a home/shelter, how they cooked, what they cooked & hundreds of recipes for every day living, remedies included. Keeping their yeast alive was a constant battle. It's a fascinating book.

I cook from scratch pretty much . rarely packet mixes etc, but even though I don't use them, I can understand why people do, as the pace of life is pretty frenetic for some & quick & simple is what they are after. I prefer taste & quality but I have the time & resources.

kay141, Sep 25, 5:18am
I also cook from scratch but sometimes I just want a pie.

parsondian, Sep 25, 5:28am
I cook from scratch mostly, I've noticed a few differences between what my mother would call cooking from scratch and how perceive it. I buy a bag of panko crumbs from the supermarket where as my mother would always make her own bread crumbs by toasting bits of stale bread in the oven and rolling with a rolling pin.

I would never consider using a store bought pasta sauce, all mine are from scratch, like wise all my curry sauces, save for a jar of butter chicken I keep in the pantry for days I just can't be bothered cooking.

daarhn, Sep 25, 5:48am
You're not? And here's I was thinking you were Trademe 'Recipes' Oracle. Don't look back. you do know what happend to Lots wife?

samanya, Sep 25, 5:57am
We all have those days, don't we?
When driving long distances, a mince & cheese pie just fits the bill for me & not one bit. of a guilt feeling. Probably happens once every 6 months.

awoftam, Sep 25, 6:09am
I wuffs pies. And sausage rolls. Nothing wrong with a good meat pie.

kay141, Sep 25, 6:23am
We do but it usually happens when I can't get one, like sitting in some boring meeting wishing someone would just get on with it and knowing that when the break comes, there will be weak coffee and sweet biscuits. Still can't figure out why those who have nothing to say, take so long to say it. It's a hard life.

awoftam, Sep 25, 6:25am
Its their moment to bask in the attention - even if giving that attention is forced on those that are attending.

kay141, Sep 25, 6:28am
That's the one. The meeting could be finished in half the time and better decisions made without them. The problem is that, usually they are just as vocal outside the organisation and usually get things so wrong that we sit and listen to the waffle.

A whisky may be a better option than a pie.

awoftam, Sep 25, 6:45am
I feel and understand your pain.

samanya, Sep 25, 6:55am
I do hear you, indeedy!
A whisky & a pie (in my case a G & T) would be just what the Dr ordered.

kay141, Sep 25, 7:12am
I thank you both. Luckily it is only once a month all the other meetings have members who have some sense and are not just there for bragging rights.

Time to catch a plane so that's me for tonight.

samanya, Sep 25, 7:19am
I just came back from overseas late Monday night (1 am) & guess what . Air NZ gave me a couple of large G & T's . hit the spot, so well.
Arrived home to 1 degree after being in tropical weather . so enjoy your trip!

macandrosie, Sep 25, 7:20am
I'm same as you daarhn. Start a meal from scratch every night. Mind just darby & joan at home these days. But I grow as much as I can & we have home killed/processed meat. At least we know what's going into our meals which is a bonus.

kay141, Sep 25, 7:25am
Plane is delayed but I may get home tonight. My own bed will be nice after hotel beds.

Amazing how much I can get done on line when away from home. Wait for planes, wait for taxis, wait for meetings. Such is life.

samanya, Sep 25, 7:30am
Every flight I go on, is delayed for some reason . Monday it was a problem with the air bridge . Buggered, at 1 am after a long day & landed in ChCh & had to sit on the tarmac for 1/2 n hour to be towed around to another air bridge . such is life! Hey, enjoy your own bed . nothing like it (& your own pillow!)

samanya, Sep 25, 7:37am
Same here . good feeling huh?
Sheep meat all home grown, beef grown on a neighboring property, eggs home grown. Veges out of the garden, or home grown from the freezer.
I give thanks every day for the bounty I have . it takes a bit of planning though . good on you!
Even thought we don';t have to go up the hill to catch & kill a Kune Kune to eat . we still know where our food has come from Aren't we just so lucky?

daarhn, Sep 25, 7:40am
Sending you my driver Pretty Damsel

daarhn, Sep 25, 7:44am
Blessed to be able to provide and enjoy the bountifulness. Our neighbours all did swappsies when there was a glut in full season. Something I still do in my suburbia of Cosmopolitan Citizens of the World. Food is the Universal language of Love!