Cooking conger eel

reggienz, Nov 22, 10:53pm
What's the best wayto cook conger eel blocks? Been told frying them makes them pretty tough

aj.2., Nov 23, 12:22am
Poach them in some milk is one way , just don't let them boil , to much .
Smoked is the best , using Manuka wood chips but only if fresh fish is used .
A second Poaching method is , just use some water with lemon juice in it.

gettinggrey, Nov 23, 12:56am
Poached with a milk sauce.
Very tasty (got any spare?).

beaker59, Nov 23, 1:22am
Years ago my brothers visited me in Auckland, during the visit I caught a massive conger eel anyway I was going to release it but the bro's were adamant they would take it back to Palmerston North with them so off they went. In Taupo they stopped at the pub, met some mates and ended up staying the next day, then on arrival they discovered the forgotten eel in the boot it was extremely smelly not sure how to get rid of it they put it in the freezer thinking they could put it in the rubbish frozen. Next day they got home to find flat mates sitting down to a feast of conger eel. The bros kept mouth shut and went out, apparently no one got sick.

aj.2., Nov 23, 1:47am
I have this to relate,
Many years ago got a Conger eel in a cray pot, took it ashore to deal with it.
Old chap that I helped with his boat came and said he hoped I would not waste it, by just using it for bait.
He offered to smoke it, him keeping half, for his time.
He took it , hung it up in his old open fire place, used Manuka, on the fire.
A couple of days later he called me over, and gave me the dish with it on.
The cats meet me on the walk back home, and Boy was it Good.
Even a couple of days later you could still taste it with a bit of a after taste coming up.

reggienz, Nov 23, 1:48am
I ended up frying it in butter . Was very nice with salt and pepper and vinegar.

aj.2., Jun 8, 5:43pm
Good , glad you enjoyed it
Many people would not bother with that fish , and miss out on the taste .
Cheers.