RAW & DELICIOUS

Page 2 / 2
cookessentials, Nov 15, 8:29am
You will really enjoy it Ellie. If you get little bird organics products down your way, try their cacao and raspberry macaroons , they are seriously good and they are completely raw.

frances1266, Nov 15, 7:30pm
These recipes sound really good, will try them out. The courgette fettucine sounds yum. I love cashew sauces and make them often, so creamy and delicious. Vegangela's mac & cheeze is my new favourite and I also like Miyoko Schinner's alfredo recipe. Neither of them are raw but they use cashew sauce and are both delicious.

taurushat, Nov 15, 9:04pm
Great thread. definitely into this.

cookessentials, Nov 15, 9:21pm
Thanks frances, they sound great. All raw food can only be "heated" up to 46DegC and things like crackers and "taco chips" can be made using a good dehydrator. I am looking at an Excalibur which is pretty pricey at around $500 but it is a 9 shelf one and is far superior to anything else. The fettuccine is delicious and if you like a nice garlic sauce, then I am sure you will love it. I tend to add enough water to get the consistency I want but I add plenty of lemon juice which takes the "sting" out of the large fresh clove of garlic! If any of you have seen the "Little Bird" organics website, try their raw cacao and raspberry macaroons. You get five in a pack ( not cheap) but if you were in a café, you would pay easily $2-$ for one. I much prefer them to any other sweet treat as they are rich and very satisfying rather than sugar sweet. I am trying to formulate my own recipe which, once I have mastered it, I will share here.

cookessentials, Nov 15, 9:22pm

cookessentials, Nov 15, 9:25pm
We recently went to a raw/organic café in Buderim of all places. I had a Mexican dish with "nut meat" ( not the tinned variety, but all made from nuts) it was on a bed of lettuce, with a salsa and a macadamia sauce, complete with raw "cheese" ( which is nicer than any ordinary cheese I have tasted)It even had their own raw "taco chips ( two huge ones) on the top. It was THE best meal I have EVER had.
http://groundorganics.com/

They do have a great facebook page too. Eating at their café completely sold me on eating raw. it was just so delicious and I felt so good after eating raw. The tastes are just so wonderful.

griffo4, Nov 15, 9:43pm
Here is one l got out of a magazine or paper and it is very nice, l am not into mint but l loved it in the recipe.

RIPE'S RAW ENERGY SALAD

500g beetroot (peeled and grated)

700g carrot (peeled and grated)

1 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
½ cup raisins
¼ cup sunflower seeds (toasted)
¼ cup pumpkin seeds (toasted)
½ tsp salt

DRESSING
2 TBSP pomegranate molasses
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup olive oil
1 tbsp honey

Dressing

Place all ingredients in a jar, put lid back on and shake well to mix.

Salad

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then pour over the dressing and toss

motorbo, Nov 15, 9:51pm
i dont think we have any raw cafés here? I used to buy at the market in Perth, from the little shop of plenty, the cheesecakes were yummy

cookessentials, Nov 15, 10:22pm
great recipe, but if you are eating raw, then the nuts cannot be toasted. I think the pomegranate molasses will be a no no as well, but perhaps honey or agave would be ok.

cookessentials, Nov 15, 10:25pm
Pine Nut Cheese Spread
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup macadamias
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
1/4 cup water
Grind all ingredients in a food processor

cookessentials, Nov 15, 10:26pm
I follow a couple of great sites one in therawchef.com I also like rawmazing and of course, I follow Scott Mathias who has scottmathiasraw. Did not have time to do one of his raw classes when we were in Noosa a few weeks ago, but I am keen to do one next time we are there.

cookessentials, Nov 15, 10:34pm
Here is a recipe from rawmazing. it is for a chilli using green lentils. ( we used to love lentils and I thought I would not be able to have them until I read this recipe) All you do is soak them overnight. I made it last weekend but I soaked overnight and part of the next day as we were away from home for the day. Bear in mind she says 2 tablespoons of chilli! I am sure it is a misprint as I used two level tsp which was plenty hot enough for us. I did add the chopped fresh tomato into it and the sauce is scrumptious too. You need a min one hour to marinate the carrot and onion mix. I diced finely but not fine enough, so popped it in the kitchen whizz and pulsed to get it nice and fine. It serves four, so it gave us two evening meals. We loved it so much, I am making it again this weekend.

http://www.rawmazing.com/raw-chili/

REMEMBER DO NOT PUT IN TWO TABLESPOONS OF CHILLI! Just use coconut sugar. I only had rapadura sugar and use only one tbsp.

cookessentials, Nov 19, 10:01pm
I made the chilli again on the weekend, however, I reduced the two tsp of chili powder to one level metric tsp and we found it better.

herself, Nov 20, 2:33am
This is my favourite raw salad - Carrot & Beetroot.
Grate 2 carrots, 1 beetroot and the rind of one orange into a bowl.
Add the juice of the orange, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil,
2 tsp Honey, 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds, 1 Tbsp chopped Coriander OR Mint OR Parsley, (which ever you prefer - I love the mint option) Salt & ground Pepper.
So delicious!

cookessentials, Nov 20, 3:16am
Lovely, the mint option sounds like me

cookessentials, Dec 14, 12:32am
We have been having a lovely raw mushroom stroganoff of late, served on a bed of raw cauliflower rice, its delicious. I shall find the recipe and post it.

motorbo, Dec 14, 12:40am
what a shame - why did they close it?

cookessentials, Jan 5, 8:14am
Mushroom Stroganoff ( Raw vegan) Courtesy of the lovely Scott Mathias

2 Cups of Button Mushrooms sliced 1 Clove of Garlic ½ White or Red Onion ½ Cup Olive Oil ¼ Cup Shoyu Soy Sauce ½ Cup Semi/Sun Dried Tomatoes Juice of 2 Lemons ½ Cup of Soaked Cashew Nuts 1 Cup of Coconut Cream (I prefer Nakula brand) ¼ Cup of Chopped Parsley S&P for taste 1 Med Cauliflower broken down into florettes Juice of 1 Lime Dash of Olive Oil S&P Instructions First put the sliced mushrooms into a bowl and add the olive oil, shoyu sauce and juice of 1 lemon along with ½ tsp. of desert salt and a good grind of black pepper. Leave them immersed for an hour or two until fully marinaded. In your Vitamix/Thermomix or vertical blender add the cashew nuts, coconut cream, garlic, onion, juice from one lemon and the semi-dried tomatoes. Blend thoroughly. Add salt to taste. Add also a dsp. equivalent of the marinade, which will give the sauce a rich ‘reduced’ appearance. Now strain off the mushrooms into a separate prep bowl and pour in the creamy liquid. Fold in the mushrooms. If you have some of the cream left then keep that aside and use as a mayo base for salads etc. Set aside for 15 minute to let the creamy flavours infuse through the mushrooms. Drop the florettes into your food processor and pulse to a rice consistency. Add the lime juice, dash of oil and S&P to taste. Spoon off the rice into a nice serving dish and ladle off the stroganoff mixture and top off with parsley, finishing with a drizzle of oil and a grind of pepper.

I use gluten free soy sauce as I have yet to find the shoyu sauce here in Masterton.