Left over roast meat

sooseque, Feb 12, 4:27am
I have left over roast beef, hogget and pork from a function, any ideas what dishes I can do with it and also can it be frozen successfully.

rainrain1, Feb 12, 4:57am
cottage and/or shepherds pie

245sam, Feb 12, 7:05am
Simply sliced and reheated in gravy is always a good option IMO, cottage /shepherds pie and fritters would be another couple of options, but if you'd like something different maybe you'd like to try this.

SWEET AND SOUR MEAT IN BATTER
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
approximately ¾ cup milk

Make a smooth batter with the flour, baking powder, egg and milk. Leave the batter to stand whilst preparing the
Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 green capsicum, chopped
2 tbsp each of sugar and tomato sauce
1 tbsp each of soy sauce and vinegar
½ tsp chopped root ginger
1 small can pineapple, drained and the juice reserved
cornflour

Heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot and capsicum. Cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients, except the reserved juice and cornflour. Bring to the boil, then thicken the sauce with cornflour blended with the reserved juice.
Cut leftover meat into 6mm (¼") thick slices and dip the slices in the batter, then fry them in hot oil. Pour the sauce over the meat to serve.

Hope that helps. :-))

Edited to add this that you might like to try with the pork.
COTTAGE PORK PIE
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, finely sliced
2 cooking apples, diced
2 rashers bacon, chopped
500g pork mince
¼ tsp dried sage
salt and pepper
1 tbsp flour mixed with ¼ cup water
a further ¾ cup water
1½-2 cups mashed potatoes

Melt the butter, then add the onion and cook until it is soft. Add the apples and bacon. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the pork mince. Cook until the mince is light brown, then add the sage, salt, pepper, flour-water mix and the remaining water. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 5-10 minutes. Place in a medium-sized casserole dish and top with the mashed potatoes.
Cook at 180°C for 20 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown. :-))

socram, Feb 12, 7:22am
I often freeze cooked pork rump. Hack chunks off and use in a stir fry. No problem.
Pre cooked roast beef and hogget would probably make great bases for curries and I see no problem with freezing them either, but I am guessing.

niffer13, Feb 12, 7:29am
Sweet Curry
1 onion chopped
1 cooking apple
½ oz butter
1-2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon flour
¾ pint stock
1 tablespoon coconut
2 oz sulatanas [0r raisins]
2 tablespoons jam or chutney
Juice of ½ a lemon
1 tomato
Salt,pepper
1 banana

Cold diced meat.
Rice for severing
Peel, core slice apple.
Fry onion & butter til brown add apple,tomato,flour fry a few mins then add stock stirring well bring to boil & add rest of ingredients cover & simmer 30 mins add meat cook 5 mins to warm thru. [I add banana & coconut towards the end of the 30 min]
Serve with rice. Very nice with any meat even corn beef.

karlymouse, Feb 12, 9:33am
Personally I dislike the taste of reheated meat . it always tastes off to me. eat it cold.

fifie, Feb 12, 9:48am
Make a large pot of gravy slice some meat into containers pour over some gravy cool and freeze for another hot. meal if you are sick of using it up cold or in other dishes.

socram, Feb 12, 7:17pm
What would I give for my mum's beef rissoles using minced cold roast beef. I have never had a problem with reheated meat, but you do have to make sure it is reheated properly.

cgvl, Feb 12, 8:15pm
I was going to suggest rissoles as well. If and when we have a roast of beef or lamb/mutton here, then its hot day 1, cold meat and salad day 2, and if still some left then rissoles day 3.
Chicken and pork I do differently. Hot day 1, cold day 2 and stir fry day 3. With chicken it tends to do 2 meals so hot then casserole/pie.
But we rarely have a roast these days as one lasts far too long for a couple.

punkinthefirst, Feb 14, 2:35am
It freezes just fine. I put single serves into ziplock sandwich bags with a bit of gravy, and reheat it in the microwave when I don't have time to cook. Nuke a jacket potato, and some frozen veges at the same time, and you have a nutritious
dinner for one in less than 10 minutes. Much better for you (and faster and cheaper) than takeaways! Even better, have it with a salad.

hd07, Feb 14, 3:19am
Cut the beef into strips and marinade in honey & soy sauce with some grated ginger. Cut pork into smallish cubes and batter them. Make stir fry vegies with rice - quick fry beef strips and shallow fry pork (obviously as they are already cooked they don't need much). Serve meat on top of stir fry rice & veg with a yummy home made sweet and sour sauce.

If the beef is on the bone, you could freeze the bone to make a nice vegetable soup at a later date.

Otherwise, I just like cold sliced left over roast with coleslaw, boiled new potatoes (with mint & butter), corn on the cob and some yummy pickle/relish for the meat.

sooseque, Feb 25, 5:01pm
Many thanks for all your suggestions