"Time-poor cooks look for 'lazy' food"

mjhdeal, Mar 26, 3:30am
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/8465436/Time-poor-cooks-look-for-lazy-food

They compare costs of convenience food versus 'from scratch' meal.
E.g., last paragraph:
" Pizza for 2
From scratch: $13.50
Convenience cooking: $14.95
Heat and eat: $7.99
Verdict: Throwing a frozen pizza in the oven is easily cheapest and easiest option. Opinions may vary on taste."

How the heck did it cost them $13.50 to make a pizza! I made a cauliflower crust 'pizza' last week, which is more expensive to make than a proper flour one, and it cost under $7 to do.

waipawa, Mar 26, 3:39am
Some people have some funny ideas don't they!
I read an article from some supposedly knowledgeable person on how to make the _perfect_ cup of tea. Their method used a teabag in a cup.

elliehen, Mar 26, 3:44am
I admit to sharing that "funny idea".If you make a pot of tea, only one person - two at the most - gets a cup that is their idea of perfect.Letting everyone dunk their own teabags the requisite time gives everyone a chance to get it right to their personal satisfaction.

davidt4, Mar 26, 3:45am
The cost would vary a lot depending on the quality of the ingredients, particularly the mozzarella, which could be anything from fresh buffalo mozzarella down to cheap processed "pizza cheese".

mjhdeal, Mar 26, 3:49am
True, but my husband makes our own mozzarella which I think is pretty good (not buffalo, though, I admit).

Tea-bags are the devil's tampons!

daisyhill, Mar 26, 3:50am
They have a point about frozen being the easiest option but I dispute it being the cheapest!

Anyway, if I somehow managed to spend $13.50 on a homemade pizza I'm absolutely certain it would blow any $7.99 frozen option out of the water. And that is worth more than money.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 26, 3:52am
You can guarantee that the convenience one will use the crappiest ingredients. There's a gulf of difference on which one is better for your insides. It's always nice to know what you're eating!

elliehen, Mar 26, 4:58am
In one of my NZ books, backcountry trampers trapped by high water in Fiordland describe scuffing about with their boots around a campfire to find discarded teabags and being deeply grateful to unearth a few ;-)

medicina, Mar 26, 8:22am
Price is for buying in the ingredients.
Homemade pizza is for turning 'not quite enough' of a range of things + garden bits into a fabulous feast.A bit of basil, the last of the ham, a couple of ripe tomatoes, the last scrape of tomatoe paste, etc, etc.For me, it's about using up things that may not last and little bits that don't really justify the fridge space of a container!It's very cost effective and I don't have to drive anywhere to get it.

figjamto, Mar 26, 8:47am
+ 1
Sometimes just the satisfaction of making something yourself out of a few goodtasty ingredients . the other day for lunch toast spread with homemade pesto and chopped up homegrown cherry tomatoes on top, salt and pepper.simple, effortless cheap.glass of vino on the side.the simple things of life

medicina, Mar 26, 8:56am
With you there!I wish more people knew how to make nice meals out of nothing much and threw a few seeds around their dirt to give them a good chance to live nicely within their income.