Salmon roulade

extemporaneous, Apr 28, 6:25am
Spinach pancake, rolled with sour cream and smoked salmon inside. Soooooo freaking good! Anyone have a recipe please? ?

tarsh9, Apr 28, 8:34am
bump... ... i too would like a recipe for this, anyone?

kirinesha, Apr 28, 11:07am
Yes, I do (and it's wonderful), just need to remember which book it's in! Will have a look tomorrow.

suzanna, Apr 28, 2:32pm
I googled it and there are a few recipes that come up. The one I liked was the one on the site EatingWell.com. Cheers.

unknowndisorder, Apr 28, 9:57pm
Episode 9 (NZ Masterchef) - Salmon roulade

-------------------------------
--------------------

John Dory

400gms salmon fillets, skin off, pin boned
2 egg whites
1/4 cup Anchor Cream
20 english spinach leaves, cleaned
2 John Dory, fillets removed, reserve bones
White wine sauce
30g Mainland Butter
1 onion, finely diced
1 celery stick, peeled, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
1 bayleaf
1 cup white wine
2 cups Campbells Real Stock Fish
1/4 cup Anchor Cream
30g cold Mainland Butter, cubed
1 jar salmon caviar

1 Place the salmon, egg whites and Anchor cream in a food processor and process until smooth, season with salt and pepper.

2 Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, reduce to a simmer, blanch the spinach leaves for 20-0 seconds, drain onto a plate lined with kitchen paper.

3 Lay a sheet of foil on a flat surface, place the spinach leaves across the foil slightly overlapping each other, spoon the mousse over the leaves. Place fish fillets down the centre and carefully roll using the foil, pull tight and twist the ends to form a tight cylindrical shape. Bake in closed barbeque until cooked. Rest.

4 For the white wine sauce, heat a saucepan over a medium heat, add Mainland butter, onion, celery carrot and bayleaf, cook lightly without colour until soft, add reserved fish bones, white wine and Campbells Real Stock Fish, simmer for 30-45 minutes, strain. Pour liquid into clean frying pan and place back over a medium heat.

5 Stir in Anchor cream then using a whisk, whisk in Mainland butter gradually to form a thick, creamy sauce. Season.

6 Unwrap salmon mousse, slice, place slices in the centre of a serving plate, top each slice with salmon caviar, spoon over the sauce to serve.

marina_may, Apr 28, 9:59pm
kirinesha - did you find your recipe?

cookessentials, Apr 28, 10:06pm
I do have one, just have to find it!

cookessentials, Apr 28, 10:19pm
Now, I have copy and pasted this as I cannot find my AWW barbeque cookbook which is where the recipe is from. It is very tasty, although, as you can see it does not have sour cream in it.

60 g butter
1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup milk
4 eggs, separated

1 (250 g) packet frozen spinach

FILLING
2 (220 g) cans pink/red salmon, drained

4 shallots, chopped
1/2 cup good quality egg mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped chives

Directions
1THE ROULADE:.
2Place frozen spinach in a pan, cook over slow heat until all liquid has evaporated.
3Grease a swiss roll tin (about 14 x 10 inches or about 37 x 25 cm) with butter, line with greaseproof paper, and butter the paper generously.
4Heat oven to 375 deg F/190 deg Celsius.
5Separate egg yolks and whites.
6Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour, and stir 1 minute. If lumpy, pull off heat and whisk until smooth.
7Back on the heat, add the milk gradually, stirring or whisking until mixture boils and thickens.
8Quickly stir in egg yolks and spinach, and transfer mixture to a large bowl.
9Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and fold lightly into the spinach mixture.
10Pour mixture into the prepared swiss roll tin.
11Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
12(While it bakes, prepare the filling; instructions follow).
13Remove from oven, and turn out on a clean, dry tea towel.
14Carefully remove the wax paper, and then spread evenly with filling mixture.
15Holding teatowel with both hands, gently roll up roulade.
16Trim edges slightly for a neater appearance.
17THE FILLING:.
18Drain the tinned salmon and combine in a bowl with the mayonnaise, chives and shallots. Mix well.
19TO SERVE:
20Place roulade on a rectangular dish, decorate with fresh parsley leaves, if desired.
21Cut into thick slices and serve, or place each slice on an individual side plate and serve.

jan2242, Apr 28, 10:25pm
This is the one I use - very easy and tasty.
Salmon & Spinach Roulade
serves 6
For roulade:
60g butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
4 eggs, separated
250g frozen spinach

for filling:
2 cans red salmon (220g cans)
4 shallots (chopped)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
250g cream cheese

for sauce:
50g butter or margarine
70g cream cheese
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 small garlic clove - crushed
2 tsp lime juice

Cook spinach till all liquid has gone. Melt butter, add flour, and stir 1 minute. Add milk gradually and stir till thickens and boils. Quickly stir in egg yolks and spinach, then transfer to a large bowl.

beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Fold lightly into spinach mixture.
Pour mixture into a greased and baking paper lined Swiss roll tin (25x30cm). bake in hot oven 12 - 15 minutes till puffed and golden brown.

remove from oven, turn onto wire rack covered with a tea towel. Remove lining and spread evenly with filling. Hold tea towel with both hands and gently roll roulade.
For filling: Combine all ingredients and mix well.
For sauce: Blend all together in food processor.
1 tbsp chives

jan2242, Apr 28, 10:27pm
LOL - cookessentials - Snap, ours are almost identical. I was given this one years ago and I think it must be adapted from your one? ?

kirinesha, Apr 29, 1:15am
I won't put mine in - looks similar to the others.

jubli, Dec 9, 8:01am
How far ahead can I make this? will it keep for 2 -3 days in the fridge?
Many thanks for your help

extemporaneous, Apr 28, 6:25am
Spinach pancake, rolled with sour cream and smoked salmon inside. Soooooo freaking good! Anyone have a recipe please!

tarsh9, Apr 28, 8:34am
bump.i too would like a recipe for this, anyone!

kirinesha, Apr 28, 11:07am
Yes, I do (and it's wonderful), just need to remember which book it's in! Will have a look tomorrow.

suzanna, Apr 28, 2:32pm
I googled it and there are a few recipes that come up. The one I liked was the one on the site EatingWell.com. Cheers.

unknowndisorder, Apr 28, 9:57pm
Episode 9 (NZ Masterchef) - Salmon roulade

--------------------

John Dory

400gms salmon fillets, skin off, pin boned
2 egg whites
1/4 cup Anchor Cream
20 english spinach leaves, cleaned
2 John Dory, fillets removed, reserve bones
White wine sauce
30g Mainland Butter
1 onion, finely diced
1 celery stick, peeled, finely diced
1 carrot, peeled, finely diced
1 bayleaf
1 cup white wine
2 cups Campbells Real Stock Fish
1/4 cup Anchor Cream
30g cold Mainland Butter, cubed
1 jar salmon caviar

1 Place the salmon, egg whites and Anchor cream in a food processor and process until smooth, season with salt and pepper.

2 Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil, reduce to a simmer, blanch the spinach leaves for 20-0 seconds, drain onto a plate lined with kitchen paper.

3 Lay a sheet of foil on a flat surface, place the spinach leaves across the foil slightly overlapping each other, spoon the mousse over the leaves. Place fish fillets down the centre and carefully roll using the foil, pull tight and twist the ends to form a tight cylindrical shape. Bake in closed barbeque until cooked. Rest.

4 For the white wine sauce, heat a saucepan over a medium heat, add Mainland butter, onion, celery carrot and bayleaf, cook lightly without colour until soft, add reserved fish bones, white wine and Campbells Real Stock Fish, simmer for 30-45 minutes, strain. Pour liquid into clean frying pan and place back over a medium heat.

5 Stir in Anchor cream then using a whisk, whisk in Mainland butter gradually to form a thick, creamy sauce. Season.

6 Unwrap salmon mousse, slice, place slices in the centre of a serving plate, top each slice with salmon caviar, spoon over the sauce to serve.

cookessentials, Apr 28, 10:06pm
I do have one, just have to find it!

cookessentials, Apr 28, 10:19pm
Now, I have copy and pasted this as I cannot find my AWW barbeque cookbook which is where the recipe is from. It is very tasty,although, as you can see it does not have sour cream in it.

60 g butter
1/4 cup plain flour
1 cup milk
4 eggs, separated

1 (250 g) packet frozen spinach

FILLING
2 (220 g) cans pink/red salmon, drained

4 shallots, chopped
1/2 cup good quality egg mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped chives

Directions
1THE ROULADE:.
2Place frozen spinach in a pan, cook over slow heat until all liquid has evaporated.
3Grease a swiss roll tin (about 14 x 10 inches or about 37 x 25 cm) with butter, line with greaseproof paper, and butter the paper generously.
4Heat oven to 375 deg F/190 deg Celsius.
5Separate egg yolks and whites.
6Melt butter in a saucepan, add flour, and stir 1 minute. If lumpy, pull off heat and whisk until smooth.
7Back on the heat, add the milk gradually, stirring or whisking until mixture boils and thickens.
8Quickly stir in egg yolks and spinach, and transfer mixture to a large bowl.
9Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and fold lightly into the spinach mixture.
10Pour mixture into the prepared swiss roll tin.
11Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
12(While it bakes, prepare the filling; instructions follow).
13Remove from oven, and turn out on a clean, dry tea towel.
14Carefully remove the wax paper, and then spread evenly with filling mixture.
15Holding teatowel with both hands, gently roll up roulade.
16Trim edges slightly for a neater appearance.
17THE FILLING:.
18Drain the tinned salmon and combine in a bowl with the mayonnaise, chives and shallots. Mix well.
19TO SERVE:
20Place roulade on a rectangular dish, decorate with fresh parsley leaves, if desired.
21Cut into thick slices and serve, or place each slice on an individual side plate and serve.

jan2242, Apr 28, 10:25pm
This is the one I use - very easy and tasty.
Salmon & Spinach Roulade
serves 6
For roulade:
60g butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
4 eggs, separated
250g frozen spinach

for filling:
2 cans red salmon (220g cans)
4 shallots (chopped)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
250g cream cheese

for sauce:
50g butter or margarine
70g cream cheese
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 small garlic clove - crushed
2 tsp lime juice

Cook spinach till all liquid has gone. Melt butter, add flour, and stir 1 minute. Add milk gradually and stir till thickens and boils. Quickly stir in egg yolks and spinach, then transfer to a large bowl.

beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Fold lightly into spinach mixture.
Pour mixture into a greased and baking paper lined Swiss roll tin (25x30cm). bake in hot oven 12 - 15 minutes till puffed and golden brown.

remove from oven, turn onto wire rack covered with a tea towel. Remove lining and spread evenly with filling. Hold tea towel with both hands and gently roll roulade.
For filling: Combine all ingredients and mix well.
For sauce: Blend all together in food processor.
1 tbsp chives

jan2242, Apr 28, 10:27pm
LOL - cookessentials - Snap, ours are almost identical. I was given this one years ago and I think it must be adapted from your one!

kirinesha, Apr 29, 1:15am
I won't put mine in - looks similar to the others.

uli, Dec 9, 5:42am
Great Xmas fare!

jubli, Dec 9, 8:01am
How far ahead can I make this! will it keep for 2 -3 days in the fridge!
Many thanks for your help