Bottled beetroot

pickles7, Feb 24, 7:35am
I bottled 19 quart sized jars of beetroot today, what a marathon.
After that was done I creamed 10 more cobs of corn.
I looked at a recipe to make "Corn-cob Jelly", but passed. I am still toying with it as it is supposed to taste like, Honey.
Has anyone else made, Corn-cob jelly!.

fifie, Feb 24, 7:25pm
No i haven't pickles, nor have i creamed corn, would you post your recipe for that please.

pickles7, Feb 24, 9:00pm
Creamed corn
3 whole cobs of mature corn
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of cold water with 1 teaspoon of cornflour.
Cut the kernels off the cob leaving half of the kernels on the cob, Turn your knife over and scrape the rest of the kernels off into the bowl. Put the corn into a microwave proof bowl, wash the bowl out with, and add the 1/2 cup of water, cook 1/2 power until it boils, stir it often.
Mix in the extra water and cornflour and cook again for 1 to 2 minutes.
I will put a pic up in my blog, soon.
http://jumpingjellybeans-jellybeans.blogspot.co.nz/

pickles7, Feb 24, 9:08pm
The second lot of corn I got was not as fresh and it did not require cornflour, the water got absorbed into the corn and it was just right.
The last can of creamed corn I bought was a grey colour, this is vibrant.

fifie, Feb 24, 10:08pm
Thank you pickles, that looks great going to try this love creamed corn.

pickles7, Feb 24, 11:21pm
I have started my beetroot wine today, it is going to be beetroot and banana wine in the end. I am waiting to pick up some over ripe cheap bananas and may have to make banana wine, then combine later. As I rant on a bit I am adding updates on my blog.
http://makingmyownwine.blogspot.co.nz/

lindylambchops1, Feb 25, 7:29am
Love the blog, thanks for sharing Pickles

lindylambchops1, Feb 25, 7:40am
How do you store this!In jars!

fifie, Feb 25, 7:47am
Made 2 lots of creamed corn, going to try it incorn rollslike to have cheese, corn , and mince rolls in the freezer for having with the winter soup when its colder, thanks for sharing Pickles, good luck with your beetroot wine.

pickles7, Feb 25, 8:10am
They sound nice, a cool way to use the corn. My wine will be a mission, no turning back now it has started fermenting already. I just hope it stays a nice red colour. I need to make a dark cover for the container.

korbo, Feb 26, 1:36am
How long do you think beetroot covered with the same vinegar recipe(as you use for bottled), would last in the fridge, in just a screw top jar.
I dont need to make a lot of bottled, but want some fresh to keep in the fridge.
My gosh, bought tinned stuff tastes so yukky.no flavour at all.
anyone else found the taste yukky.!

pickles7, Feb 26, 3:33am
Just don't skimp on the vinegar, it is what keeps it from spoiling.
I have had some in the fridge for three weeks, or more. Beetroot can be bought all year round, it doesn't take long to cook up enough to fill a jar as you need to. I found beetroot for $6.00 a box and couldn't pass on that price, enough in one box to fill 10 quart sized bottles.

korbo, Feb 26, 8:12am
have done some, 2cups water, 1 1/2cups vinegar, sugar and pepppercorns and salt. tastes fine. did 2 jars, to have in the fridge. Just used normal jars and lids.happy with it.

janes12, Feb 26, 9:22am
Love to know where you found that box for $6. Do give me a hint!

pickles7, Feb 26, 10:05am
Pakowhai Rd, head towards Napier, on the left there is a big shed on a corner, where you can pick your own tomatoes.in there, they sell all sorts veg, grow pumpkins too I think. They may look a bit big, mine were ok. I got mine for $6.00 a box but I thought I saw $9.00 a box. take you own containers. 10 sweet corn for $4.00.

fifie, Feb 26, 8:46pm
i cut some beetroot into cubes bottle it with a spicy vinegar mix, have a jar sitting in the fridge in summer great tossed through bits of lettuce with grated carrot, tomato, chopped spring onions, whatever you have etc and crumbled Feta cheese, tossed with a balsamic and mustard dressing to make a quick salad, its usually there about 3-4 weeks + and is fine. If you have to buy it in my opinion the only one to go for is Golden Circle baby beets.

korbo, Feb 26, 9:08pm
fifie, is your vinegar mix, just straight from the bottel of spicy vinegar or a special recipe.

fifie, Feb 26, 10:24pm
Korbo this is what i make, it gives the beet a bit of akick for using in salads in summer.
Pickled beetroot.
5-6 sm beetroot, 1 cup brown malt vinegar. 1/2 cup water. 1/2 cup sugar. 1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon. 2 whole cloves. 4 peppercorns. 1 ~ 2 bay leaves.
Cookbeetroot in salted water until just knife tender, cool pop skin off and cut into little cubes.
Simmer mixture for 15 mins. Packbeetroot cubesinto hot sterilized jars and pour sieved vinegar mix over. Seal. Recipe from Fisher.
Once open keep in fridge. Sometimes i have to make more mix, it depends on the size of the beetroot.

janes12, Feb 26, 11:49pm
Thanks for that. Yep, know the place.