Pickled plums

pickles7, Feb 9, 5:13am
Has anyone pickled plums!

katalin2, Feb 9, 5:55am
I made some years ago- using a sweet vinegar mixture- ended up giving it all away as I didn't know what to use it with. Just make plum chutney now as we use that tho still give most of it away as we drown in plums over summer so I make heaps.

uli, Feb 9, 8:14am
Yes - I make them every time we have a kind spring and lots of plums.

Would you like my recipe!

I also pickle figs the same way.

pickles7, Feb 9, 8:31am
cool. yes I would, thank you .uli.
What a shame to throw them out .katalin2.what spices did you use to pickle your plums with!

olwen, Feb 9, 8:37am
Uli I'd love to see your recipe too, we have so many plums

uli, Feb 10, 7:41am
Pickled Figs or Plums

2 kilos figs (with stem intact) or small firm plums,

boil together:
2 cups sugar,
1 1/2 cups vinegar,
3 sticks of cinnamon or a spoonful of ground cinnamon,
15 cloves or some ground cloves,
allspice (optional).

Cook for approx 15 minutes until you have reduced the liquid to approx. 1 and a 1/2 cups.

Then add figs (or plums).

Let simmer for 10 minutes, shake the pot, but do not stir as it would break up the fruit.

Scoop the fruit into jars and top with the syrup.
Screw lids down immediately.

pickles7, Feb 10, 5:30pm
looks good, thanks.
I will pickle some grapes and use that recipe as well. I have grapes coming on, green then the black. What I thought was a wine grape has produced decent sized grapes this year, its third year of fruiting. I just about cut it out, but decided to graft onto the rootstock instead. Looks as if all will be ok just left now.

uli, Feb 11, 3:11am
Once you've eaten all the fruit and have some liquid left over you can thicken it with gelatine and then you have a cheap replacement for chutneys or cranberry sauce.

pickles7, Feb 11, 7:00pm
the ume plums.uli, do we grow a similar plum here! I would like to salt some now as well. I figure the skins are too soft on a lot of our plums. I may need to wait until next year now to salt some now.

uli, Feb 11, 10:17pm
I have planted an ume tree years ago - but haven't been able to go there since the accident. I might have to send some scouts out :) to see if it still exists.

I also have a damson plum tree which makes the best pickled plums. However I am told by an English lady it is not an original damson - but it works well enough for me.

pickles7, Feb 11, 11:34pm
I have just been given a plum root stock, and 2 apple root stocks. I will need to go taste to pick the right trees to grow. An orchard buddy gave me the root stocks and I can choose from his entire orchard. cool ah

pickles7, Feb 20, 8:56pm
Just as well I cut the sugar down, I was thinking a missprint maybe. 2 cups of sugar would have made jam.uli.

uli, Feb 21, 6:52am
2kgs of figs and 2 cups sugar wouldn't have made jam.
It is usually 2kgs of fruit and 2kgs of sugar for jam.

2 cups is about 400g.

pickles7, Feb 21, 7:19am
I cut the sugar back to just 1 cup, I used my peach vinegar, it is on the sweet side. They turned out well anyway. My next job is to bottle creamed corn.