Inspire me, Valentines dinner.

justme..., Feb 7, 6:08am
I will be working that day so something quickish and simple would be good, slightly aphrodisiac effects would be a bonus :)I will also have my children so something they could also enjoy.I don't ask for much do I!!!!!!Preferably not steak, looking for something a little lighter. TIA

samanya, Feb 7, 6:15am
Get rid of the children for the night & then concentrate on the aphrodisiac effects!

davidt4, Feb 7, 6:25am
You could spatchcock (butterfly) a free range chicken the night before and marinate it in the fridge.A light marinade of olive oil, lemon zest and juice, dried oregano is nice.Skewer the chicken three times across the body to hold it in place when you cook it.Then as soon as you get home from work take it out of the fridge while you prepare the veges or salads.The chicken will take about 45 minutes on a barbecue grill (turn it every 20 minutes) or about an hour in a medium-hot oven.To serve, cut it into four or six pieces with poultry shears or strong scissors.

justme..., Feb 7, 6:28am
I would love to samanya, believe me, not always possible though!The chicken sounds dlicious, thanks davidt4!Maybe just with a salad and a nice chocolate cake/french vanilla ice cream after!

davidt4, Feb 7, 6:41am
That sounds perfect.

justme..., Feb 7, 6:42am
Maybe a nice gooey chocolate mud cake, mmmm!

allurs, Feb 8, 12:22am
maybe lay off the chocolate cake after - the carb will stuff you and you wont have the energy for lata! lol just to choc mousse and a cherry on top!

olwen, Feb 8, 12:40am
There was a recipe is the Marlbough Express yesterday for red-cooked chicken which we are planning on modifying to use a spatchcocked chicken(small one thawing now)I'm not using the red colouring, but it could be good for Valentines day.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/lifestyle/8272052/Celebrate-Chinese-style/

justme..., Feb 8, 3:57am
Oh thanks for that olwen, will check it out.Just trying to remember how I made a very good boysenberry cheesecake a few months back.

vintagekitty, Feb 8, 4:59am
chocolate body paint!!

samanya, Feb 8, 5:03am
I was just teasing .it's lovely that you want to do something special (of the food variety)
In my family, we all have our 'special treat' faves .something that we think our mum does best in the world & she used to roll it out on birthdays & special occasions & that's what I'd do .something that he really loves but it's too much of an effort to do often, when you are feeding kids on a day to day basis.
Served in a skimpy apron only! (teasing again, just in case anyone gets the wrong idea .there are a few that might give me a telling off for saying that!)
Whatever you decide on .I hope you have a great night .kids & all.

baalamb, Feb 8, 8:03am
For an entree, make some small camembert hearts to fry and serve on salad greens. They;re much easier to shape than you'd expect - cut a round of camembert into quarters. Use a sharp knife to cut a small triangle from the rounded edge to form a heart. I use a non-stick pan, and quickly fry the cheese, rather than deep-frying it.

lindylambchops1, Feb 8, 8:10am
Beef hearts!Alison Holst recipe.they taste like steak.

olwen, Feb 8, 9:44am