TOMATOES - Share your tomato recipes :)

Page 1 / 2
kirmag, Feb 3, 9:47pm
T Sauce, relish, pasta sauces, any other saucy things.What ya got that's tried n true.Getting so many out of the garden and they're still coming.Used a simple tomato sauce recipe last year and it was good, but think I can up my skills a bit this year.

Pininoa Tommy Sauce

1 kg tomatoes
1 cup sugar
1/2 Tab Salt
small tsp ground all spice
1 cup vinegar

simmer till thickish then whizz & bottle

Also tried another with apples, onions but can't find that recipe right now.

fifie, Feb 3, 10:42pm
Roast tomato sauce for spaghetti bol,pastas,mince dishes etc,tomato paste , relish,and plenty of dried tomatoes for my feta cheese is my fav when there are heaps around yell out if you want any recipes, or if to many skin them and throw in the freezer to use later.

davidt4, Feb 3, 11:15pm
Oven-dried tomatoes.Use small tomatoes and halve across the equator.Place cut side up on an oven tray, sprinkle with dried oregano, chopped garlic, chopped chilli and salt.Trickle extra virgin olive oil over liberally.Bake for about three hours at 140 C.Store in the fridge for a few weeks, or freeze.Serve as part of an antipasto, add to casseroles, add to vege dishes.

kirmag, Feb 4, 3:03am
Thanks for that david, will be giving that go!

I would love the recipe for roast tomato sauce fifie!

uli, Feb 4, 3:48am
I have bumped 12 threads for you - there are at least another hundred .
If you want you can copy and paste all the recipes into this one for future use .

fifie, Feb 4, 3:56am
Roast tomato sauce by Annabel Laingbein.
Tomatoes, 2 onions, 4 cloves garlic peeled, ORgood teasp crushed garlic, OR 1/2 teasp chilli powder, teasp rosemary leaves, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 2 tablesp sugar, 2 tablesp oil, gr black pepper, salt.
Cut tomatoes into wedges, skins on lay in a large roasting dish 1 layer only, do 2 dishes if you have to, ( you want them to caramelise not stew) cut onion into wedgesput 1 in each tray.
In a bowl mix rosemary,sugar,oil,garlic,salt-
,pepper,sugar, tomato paste etc together and toss each tray of tomatoes in some bake 160cabout 2 hrs till tomatoes are caramilised.Put all into a blender even all the juices, blend tillits thick and smooth ( i just use a stick blender)pour into snaplock bags and freeze flat, so it dosen't take up to much room. This makes a nice rich flavour sauce, to use with whatever you choose through winter.

samanya, Feb 4, 5:11am
uli .There is no need to bump threads, it's rather tiresome for those of us who are looking for 'current' topics & have to trawl through a myriad of bumped threads.
You may feel that you are being helpful but it's only helpful to the question asker, but pointing anyOP in the direction of the search function would be helpful to all, without confusing things.
I realise that you would like some threads to slide into obscurity.

wachael1, Feb 4, 6:20am
This is the tomato sauce I make and have done for a few years now:

http://www.allysongofton.co.nz/recipe/Mums-Tomato-Sauce/!r=2433

I do cut the sugar down a little and it is delicious!

samanya, Feb 4, 6:42am
This is my current favourite chutney recipe.
1kg tomatoes
275g cooking apples
100g onions
300mls white vinegar
100g seedless raisins
2 tspns sea salt
1/2 tspn of ground allspice, cayenne pepper, ground cinnamon. ground ginger, paprika
225 g white sugar
Scald, peel & chop tomatoes. Peel core & chop apples & onions
Put all ingredients except the sugar into a stainless steel pan with half the vinegar & gently bring to the boil.
Cook slowly for approx 1 -1 1/2 hours. Add the sugar & the remaining vinegar & once again bring to the boil stirring constantly. Simmer until thick & smooth. Pot & seal.

uli, Feb 4, 8:39am
Do you now!
Which ones would that be!
Are you keen to bump them up!

uli, Feb 4, 8:42am
And also:
Why should I not bump relevant threads up for someone who is obviously unable to use the search function (as are about 90% of posters on here!).

If I say something like "use the search function" then everybody jumps up and down and says I am rude.

If I bump up the relevant threads then you tell me: "There is no need to bump threads, it's rather tiresome for those of us who are looking for 'current' topics & have to trawl through a myriad of bumped threads.
You may feel that you are being helpful but it's only helpful to the question asker, but pointing any OP in the direction of the search function would be helpful to all, without confusing things. "

So what now!

kirmag, Feb 4, 8:42pm
Thanks uli, I did do a search before posting but mustn't of gone far enough back.Looking thru the threads and saving lots of recipes to try now.

What's with the grumpiness anyway.Gees some people need to chill!

uli, Feb 4, 9:50pm
They do need to chill kirmag - but it is not likely to happen.
For some reason people dislike it if I say the unvarnished truth LOL :)
Glad you found lots of suitable recipes. Happy preserving.

cookessentials, Feb 4, 10:44pm
Green Tomato Chutney

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1kg green tomatoes, chopped
1kg Granny Smith apples, chopped
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar

Heat oil in a medium sized heavy based saucepan. Add onion and cook until soft. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute.

Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until a jam like consistency.

Pour into sterilised jars

uli, Feb 5, 2:15am
kirmag is getting fresh RED RIPE tomatoes every day cooks (maybe re-read post #1) - so your recipe for unripe green tomatoes - well meant as it might be - is not going to help!

cookessentials, Feb 5, 2:28am
I would suggest that the poster above @#16 minds her own teashop.If she cares to LOOK at the title, she will see that it says "tomatoes" share your recipes. I have done so.

uli, Feb 5, 2:45am
cooks - just read the first post!
It says: ".Getting so many out of the garden and they're still coming."

These are NOT GREEN!

But yeah keep going cooks - I know you love it to be queen of the recipe boards from way back - so get back to basics and post things that are RELEVANT to the thread you are posting in - and you will be back as QUEEN of the recipe boards in no time :)

cookessentials, Feb 5, 2:52am
"T Sauce, relish, pasta sauces, any other saucy things. What ya got that's tried n true."as per 1st post.
Most people actually know that tomato plants have both red and green tomatoes. I do not need YOUR permission on what I post, thank you very much. I would suggest you mind your own business.

uli, Feb 5, 2:57am
I have no problem minding my own business if you leave my posts alone cooks. I am sorry that you have no idea what it means to get into the house with a bucket of ripe red tomatoes every evening and struggling for recipes. No-one needs green tomato recipes in the middle of summer - re-post in April maybe LOL.

cookessentials, Feb 5, 2:58am
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

4 green tomatoes
flour for dusting
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup white cornmeal or polenta
8 thick rashers of bacon

Slice the tomatoes thickly. Lightly dust in the seasoned flour. Dip the tomatoes in the egg and then press on the polenta.

Fry the bacon until cooked to your liking. Remove and set aside. Fry the tomatoes on both sides until crisp.

uli, Feb 5, 3:02am
cooks - this a recipe for RIPE Green tomatoes as grown in the US (and by me too) - not the green unripe leftovers in autumn.

So if anyone wants to try those buy the chartreuse ripe green tomatoes (you might have to grow them yourself).

Or use very firm red or yellow ones. The recipe is delightful! Made famous by the film of the same name of course.

cookessentials, Feb 5, 3:07am
You seem to have real problems. THIS recipe is not an American recipe by the way.but thanks for your concern and total lack of manners.

davidt4, Feb 5, 3:30am
That's right.it's been lifted straight out of the Australian Women's Weekly.
http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx!id=783287

cookessentials, Feb 5, 3:32am
No, actually, directly out of my hand written book sitting on my desk LOL

samanya, Feb 5, 7:05am
Does it matter!
Some of us appreciate the effort that many people go to, to share recipes .as you do many a time.
Does it need to be 'an original' recipe!
I don't think so.
edited to add . I usually give credit to the source, if I give a recipe, but again, does it really matter too much if the answer is given to a poster!