TOMATOES - Share your tomato recipes :)

Page 2 / 2
cookessentials, Feb 5, 7:39am
I too would give credit to the source, however, it is hand written in my cookbook with the date of 3/7/09. No idea where it came from.

samanya, Feb 5, 8:25am
We all have well used recipes that we don't know where we got them from.
I should have said 'when the source is known'.
I have heaps of recipe cuttings from magazines, newspapers etc & would have no idea who to attribute them to.

uli, Feb 5, 8:41am
Isn't it great though that the queen of the recipe board has a hand written recipe since many years in her handwritten booklet - that is also available on Australians Womans Weekly http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx!id=783287 - what a surprise! She must have given it to them many decades ago of course.

Still it is originally an American recipe for RIPE tomatoes which incidentally were GREEN tomatoes. If you try this with your hard unripe green things at the end of summer you will find it tastes VILE!

cookessentials, Feb 5, 9:40am
Oh, you mean like "your" ice cream recipe ALL the way from Germany eh! and WHAT A COMPLIMENT to be called the queen of recipes LOL. Your posts just say more about YOU than they do me.

cookessentials, Feb 5, 9:47am
No worries.

jlo19, Feb 5, 11:06pm
wouldn't it be nice without the "bitchiness".Someone has asked a simple question and yes if the response included green tomatoes well so be it.If you have a crop of tomatoes , like I do, green tomato recipes are also useful.May not be for now but soon.I also have many recipes written down that i don't know where they are from and you will find most recipes are in print somewhere, even ones from "celebrity cooks".This forum is to Share recipes no matter where they are from so long as they are relevant to the answer.So now can we get on with baking/cooking etc.

fifie, Feb 5, 11:27pm
I agree jlo, who cares who's queen of the recipe board with their posts, majority of us keep what interests us at the time. i do know this though the germans know how to cook good food and put on a feast, this section was never like this years ago any wonder lots don't bother coming near the place anymore, come on girls lets get over this sniping at each other and back to the topic in hand tomato recipes whether it be green or red to help O/P use up her good crop.

denbru, Feb 6, 1:44am
Thought you cooks would like this recipe, I make this Tomato Soup every year for the freezer. I also use the soup concentrate for pasta bases:
7lb Toms, 4 med onions, 6 sprigs parsley, 6 sticks celery & tops, 1 cup sugar 1/4lb butter, 1 1/2 tab salt, 3 cloves or 1 tsp ground cloves, 4 tab flour.
Place toms onions parsley celery in pan, simmer until tender, put through mouli. Melt butter in pan remove from heat add flour stirring well, add tomato pulp slowly stirring all the time boil for 5 minutes. Freeze in pottles. When required add equal quantity of milk or water when heating. Enjoy!

cookessentials, Feb 6, 5:13am
I like the sound of the tomato soup denbru, sounds nice with the the cloves in it.

denbru, Feb 6, 5:21am
It really is tasti my family enjoy it. Great to have on hand for any sauces you need as well as soup!

samanya, Feb 6, 5:39am
I've just been out & picked about 5kg of ripe tomatoes & having done the chutney/relish thing already I will give your recipe a go . but I would prefer to 'bottle/preserve' it, because I tend to put things in the freezer & never see them again until defrost time. ;o)

resolutionx, Feb 6, 5:50am
Lol! I thought this thread was about tomato recipes (green, yellow or red was not specified.)! The majority of it has now turned in to a pointless cat fight! *eats popcorn*

cookessentials, Feb 6, 6:17am
No resolutionx, it is for tomatoe recipes ( any colour you like) and hopefully we will get lots more interesting recipes to share.

samanya, Feb 6, 6:20am
Let's hope so. I still have 5kg sitting on my bench waiting to meet their fate!

holly-rocks, Feb 6, 7:02am
I recommend this recipe ~ http://www.annabel-langbein.com/cooking/recipes/recipe/!id=292its really yummy and easy to make.but I now freeze it or just it fresh as I have had a few major disasters when opening the stored bottles.they tend to exploide when opening! ( maybe something I did wrong but I did follow the recepie ):D :D :D

resolutionx, Feb 6, 9:19am
I haven't made this by my neighbours daughter raided my apple tree for a school fundraiser and made the basic Edmonds one. I got a jar and it did not last long:

Tomato Relish

Traditional relish recipe, tomatoes, onions, curry powder, malt vinegar

Ingredients

1.5 kg tomatoes, blanched, skinned and quartered

4 onions, quartered

2 tablespoons salt

2 cups brown sugar

2 & 1/4 cups DYC malt vinegar

3 chillies

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 tablespoon curry powder

2 tablespoons Edmonds plain baking flour

1/4 cup DYC malt vinegar

Instructions
Put tomatoes and onions into a non-metallic bowl. Sprinkle with salt and leave for 12 hours. Drain off liquid formed. Put vegetables, sugar, first measure of vinegar and chillies into a preserving pan. Boil gently for 1 & 1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Mix mustard, curry, flour and second measure of vinegar to a smooth paste. Stir into relish. Boil for 5 minutes.

Pack into sterilised jars. Makes about 4 x 350ml jars

cookessentials, Feb 19, 11:48pm
so, samanya, did you manage to make anything with your 5kg om tomatoes!

davidt4, Feb 20, 11:38pm
I made Gary Mehigan's confit tomatoes last night and they are delicious.They went very well with fish fried in olive oil.

Confit of Tomatoes

serves 4 as a side dish

1 tsp white peppercorns
2 tab fennel seeds
2 tab coriander seeds
1 tsp salt
3 cloves garlic, bruised
4 star anise
1 kg mixed tomatoes, whole or halved
1 handful basil sprigs
400 ml extra virgin olive oil

Heat oven to 100C.Use a baking dish that will hold the tomatoes in one layer.

Lightly crush peppercorns. fennel & coriander, sprinkle over the base of the tin.Add salt, garlic, star anise.

Spread tomatoes in tin, cut side down if halved.Roughly tear the basil and place in between tomatoes.Flood with olive oil.Roast 1 hour, leave to cool, cover and refrigerate.

Keeps 1 week in the fridge and improves.

ry5, Feb 23, 3:04am
I originally posted this in another thread, but it's so good I felt I had to "spread the word" so to speak! I was given this recipe by a friend, that was passed down to her by her grandmother for tomato sauce and I swear, I will never buy tom sauce from the supermarket ever again or make chutney that nobody eats!

5.4 kg ripe tomatoes (approx 12 lbs)
85g salt (approx 3 oz)
1.4 kg sugar -- or adjust to your own taste (approx 3 lbs)
85g whole allspice or 40g ground allspice (approx 3 oz or 1.5 oz respectively)
860 ml malt vinegar
(the metric amounts have been converted from old imperial measurements as near as possible)

Wash & cut tomatoes, tie whole spice in a muslin bag or for a more tangy sauce with a bit more warmth add the ground spice as is. Combine all ingredients & boil for 3 hours, stirring frequently. When cooked strain through a colander or, as I prefer, pulse with a stick blender. Bottle when cold.

sossie1, Feb 23, 3:13am
Flat pan, halve tomatoes, fry slowly in olive oil, add salt, pepper, garlic, lemon, simmer until a reasonable amount of liquid comes out of the tomatoes. you can add all sorts- olives, parmesan on the top
Eat straight from the pan, with crusty bread to mop up the juice.
( I saw this on a 1 minute advert in the UK, for a supermarket chain)

tjman, Feb 23, 4:28am
Go look at Annabelle Langbein's summer harvest sauce.It is fantastic.I now have jars of the stuff in my pantry, and have given some away too.Friends find it lovley.

punkinthefirst, Feb 23, 5:29am
Not a lot of ideas for me to add. Except.do make Passata, as the Italians do. All it is, basically, is tomatoes, cooked, strained, then reduced to a thick pulp/sauce. It is then bottled and sterilized, or frozen. A good store-cupboard of Passata will give you lots of options when the time comes to use it. You can make soups, sauces, add it to meat dishes - well, you get the idea.
Several years ago, I was poking around in a second-hand store in Wellington, and found an Italian gadget - a tomato passer, which I promptly snapped up for the princely sum of $5. After the tomatoes are cooked a little and soft, you put them through the passer, which looks a little like an old-fashioned hand mincer, and which pushes the pulp of the tomato into a waiting bowl, and the pips and skins into another bowl. Mine is quite small, but has saved a lot of time (it is much faster than using a mouli, even). I've even put apples through it - you just quarter and cook them with a little water, put them through the passer, and there you have it - pips and skins on one side, nice smooth apple puree on the other. A great $5 worth in any language!