Damson plums

jacquie05, Jan 27, 3:51am
In our new house we have 2 trees loaded with damsons. I've never used them before though - how do you tell that they're ripe! I thought I'd try some plum sauce and chutney as we're not really drinkers (have heard about damson gin) or jam eaters. I'd be grateful for any suggestions! TIA

sarahb5, Jan 27, 3:54am
They do make gorgeous jam though and you very rarely see them these days - my grandma used to make it, a slightly different taste to plums

jacquie05, Jan 27, 4:23am
Yeah, they have quite a sharp taste. That's why I have no idea how to judge ripeness! I do love plum sauce - looking forward to it!

red2, Jan 27, 4:48am
usually most fruit like plums are ripe if they pop into your hand easily rather than having to be pulled hard - guess Damsons are the same !

seniorbones, Jan 27, 4:50am
The are very dark purple when they are fipe, my grandmother also had one and made the most delicous jam, very sour to eat though. Check out nzgardners site with Linda this week she had ideas of what to do with them.

jacquie05, Jan 27, 5:07am
Thanks - I'll give them the pull test! Thanks seniorbones - Linda is great!

village.green, Jan 27, 9:40am
Last year we made damson vodka (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe) and it is amazing. Needs at least 12 preferably 18 months to mature.
We also made chutney and jam I think.
Ours are not quite ripe yet here in Manawatu.