Preserving Lemons

Page 3 / 4
esther-anne, Jan 13, 8:47am
Well I am uli-I just didn't realise there are so many ways to use them in dishes.I've always thought lemons-juice,lemon curd, marmalade, pancakes - but always fresh!It IS possible to teach an old dog new tricks.

elliehen, Jan 13, 10:11am
I'm certainly interested, but I do like to know that the people who are giving advice are who they say they are.

I have never been in any doubt that uli is uli is uli ;)

samanya, Jan 13, 9:16pm
Incomparable!

bedazzledjewels, Jan 13, 10:58pm
I just want to be able to grow some lemons first! Then DT4 has kindly passed on her knowledge. The rest is highly amusing!

uli, Jan 14, 3:03am
So why ask for a recipe bedazzledjewels if you do not even have the lemons to try it! Or are not even happy to buy some to try it out!

Do you really think we all have nothing else to do than to pander to your whims! And write up recipes which you really do not need - as obviously it will be years until you have the lemons to even try the recipe!

How about going back to your blog and maybe even your website which you share with "the best ever friend" of yours and do something there!

Good luck!

Edited to say that I do not find this "highly amusing" bedazzledjewels!

samanya, Jan 14, 5:14am
Ever heard of buying lemons, or being given some!

vintagekitty, Jan 14, 5:21am
mmm too much sucking on lemons me thinks

pickles7, Jan 14, 5:37am
Well this turned "ten toes up.".uli
In fact it was so nice I used what was left on my salmon tonight.
Now to get "ten toes down" lol.

uli, Jan 14, 6:13am
Pickles7 - let me know the "ten toes down" recipe please LOL :)

elliehen, Jan 14, 6:20am
We are not amused, vintagekitty ;)

elliehen, Jan 14, 6:36am
I suggest Sour Lemon Surprise à la Beanpod Pickle ;)

samanya, Jan 14, 6:41am
*sniggers*

samanya, Jan 14, 6:42am
BTW .that wasn't me that sniggered ^^^ there . It was a flatmate using my ID by mistake!

pickles7, Jan 14, 8:26pm
How do you all use preserved lemons !.
I did give my sauce a well deserved name

nfh1, Jan 14, 8:28pm
Course it was!

davidt4, Jan 14, 8:56pm
Cauliflower, Raisin, Almond & Preserved Lemon Salad

1 cauliflower, cut into olive sized florets

2 tbsp butter 

1/4 cup raisins 

1/2 cup flaked almonds, toasted 

1/2 preserved lemon, zest only, finely diced 

4 sprigs mint, torn into small pieces 

1 long red chilli, seeded and finely sliced 

75ml extra virgin olive oil 

1/4 cup pomegranate seeds 

salt and pepper to taste 

drizzle pomegranate molasses

Heat a large non stick frypan on a medium flame and add the butter, then the cauliflower. Cook over medium heat until the cauliflower has a golden colour and is just starting to soften, take out of pan and set aside to cool down. 
Toss all of the ingredients together just before serving except the pomegranate molasses. 
Place in a suitable serving dish and drizzle with the pomegranate molasses

davidt4, Jan 14, 8:57pm
Lamb Shoulder with Preserved Lemons and Dates (Jennifer McLagan)

2 kg lamb shoulder
salt and pepper
2 tab olive oil
2 med onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 ½ tsp paprika
1 ½ tsp ginger
½ tsp saffron
1 cinnamon stick
¼ c chopped parsley
¼ c chopped mint
1 preserved lemon
12 fresh dates, halved and pitted
80g almonds, toasted
½ c lemon juice

Heat oven to 150C.Season lamb with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a roasting pan, brown lamb well on fat side, as best you can on other sides.
Remove lamb and discard all but 1 tab fat.

Add onion and garlic, cook 2 min.

Blend paprika, ginger and saffron with 500 ml water, pour in and deglaze pan.

Return lamb to pan, add cinnamon and half of parsley and mint.Cover with a cartouche then a lid or foil.

Braise 2 ½ hours, turning once.Meanwhile rinse lemon and cut into julienne.

Add lemon, dates, almonds and lemon juice, cook 30 - 40 minutes until very tender.Pour off any excess fat, sprinkle with rest of herbs.

If sauce is watery reduce.

davidt4, Jan 14, 8:57pm
Chermoula with Preserved Lemon

6 servings

200 ml olive oil
1 preserved lemon (rind only) chopped
10 shallots chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 tsp cumin
2 hot chillies chopped
½ c coriander leaves chopped
½ c mint leaves chopped
¼ c parsley chopped

Mix together and marinate fish, chicken, lamb 5 hours before roasting or grilling.

pickles7, Jan 14, 9:20pm
thank you .davidt4.I was thinking of a lamb dish. This thread will be around a while, I will try your recipe and report back.
We have pork out for dinner tonight. I could not see a preserved lemon with pork, mind you I also have a nice piece of fresh ginger. I can see those two will marry up and play well together, maybe a bit of chili, olive oil, grated apple to balance.

vmax2, Jan 14, 9:35pm
Actually elliehen I think we should all be thankful to beanpod for bringing to our attention preserved lemons.Without everyone coming in to gloat about the demise of beanpod they wouldn't have made an effort to look at the recipes.We are all the richer for beanpod being on these boards don't you think.

davidt4, Jan 14, 9:52pm
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find much in the way of pork/preserved lemon combinations.Preserved lemons are very much a North African and Middle Eastern ingredient and, as I'm sure you know, pork is prohibited in Islamic culture.

pickles7, Jan 14, 10:07pm
Added 1/2 a cup of frozen blackberries found while poking around in my freezer. I have put it all together and into the fridge.

pickles7, Jan 14, 10:49pm
I didn't look, it was more my thoughts. It is happening tonight all the same.

pickles7, Jan 15, 3:52am
just off to cook this up now

elliehen, Jan 15, 4:45am
No one has come in to gloat about the demise of bean_pod.Posters have come in to express surprise that a trader would feel the need to start a thread with an assumed identity and use it to elicit information that she herself had provided under another name.

bean_pod also used that identity to write offensive comments about other posters in the Health & Beauty thread. You personally might think that that behaviour is commendable and that"we are all the richer for beanpod being on these boards don't you think" but I doubt you'd get many others to agree with you.

Anyone wishing to bring Preserved Lemons to the attention of others has only to use the search facility and bring up an earlier thread or start a new thread under her/his own username.