Could I Preserve Lemons in Click Clack Containers!

nfh1, Aug 4, 6:04am
Or does it have to be glass jars!Thanks.

buzzy110, Aug 4, 6:11am
My answer is presuming you are talking about salting your lemons. Personally I wouldn't. I can see two problems immediately. Jars have a narrow neck, meaning it is easier to keep the lemons below the liquid, and stop them from floating to the top which is important if you don't want 'scum or bloom' forming on top of them. Secondly, I wouldn't use any plastic for long term salt storage because of toxic chemical leach.

If you can overcome the first problem and don't care about the second then you can go for it.

If you are preserving them by some other method then ignore this post. I've never preserved any other way but the traditional way so have no opinion on any other way.

nfh1, Aug 4, 6:15am
Thanks - yes I was going to preserve them with salt, but could not find an empty jar, so just wondered if I could use plastic.I don't know any other way to preserve them so will leave it until I find some empty jars.

buzzy110, Aug 4, 6:25am
I have friends who shower me with jars. You should cultivate friends who will remember to keep you supplied with jars. I also haunt the Op shops for Agee jars. I've picked dozens of them up for as little as $1 for 2 doz and even 10c each.

Edited to add - Before we had to recycle in wheelie bins I used to go out early on Monday morning with a shopping bag and snaffle jars from recycle bins. I used to wash, soak in a sterilising solution and then put through the dishwasher. I always boiled them when it came to using them.

nfh1, Aug 4, 6:50am
I will try the Op Shops, thank you - missed the Recycling - that went last night!