Plastic containers

kam04, Feb 2, 12:24am
Hi All
I am in the middle of making Tomato Relish and have just realised I will not have enough jars to put it in. Would it work if I cooled the mixture and put it in plastic containers with sealable lids? Would it keep as well as it does in jars?
Thanks for any advice - Mrs kam04

pickles7, Feb 2, 1:31am
No. Some plastics may be ok, but, the vinegar and spices could leach out undesirable flavour. I would go beg some jars off the next door, over the road folk or go OP shopping. I would not put anything with vinegar in plastic to store more than 2 or 3 weeks.

punkinthefirst, Feb 2, 1:35am
Op shops are your friends. If you need bulk numbers of jars, google Arthur Holmes Ltd, in Wellington, for hundreds of different sized jars and bottles at good rates. They do email, and specialize in supplying home bottlers.

rainrain1, Feb 2, 2:46am
You can freeze it in the plastic container, it doesn't freeze solid, just scoop out what you want each time, replace the lid, and Bob's your uncle!

kam04, Feb 2, 7:46am
thank you all for your advice. I did find enough jars so panic is over.
I remember years ago, freezing Jam in a plastic container and using it by scooping out what was needed and it was yummy. even a year later it still tasted like freshly made jam. Might give it a go if I have to make more relish

katalin2, Feb 2, 9:13am
If you want some jars I have some to spare- you can contact me through one of my auctions.

crazynana, Oct 28, 9:41pm
Can't see why plastic containers would not be ok as you get lots of chutneys etc are sold in plastic. i.e. Anatoth pickles and jams and some of the generic brands too.