Preserved lemons help pls

Page 1 / 2
wisconsin, Jan 7, 5:34am
I've just juiced lemons and got about about 4 ltrs of juice to make a couple of large jars of preserved lemons. Is the juice meant to be cloudy - like mine even after straining is the colour of honey- most recipes and jars of preserved lemons I've seen have quite clear liquid ?? Does it settle, what should I do please?? Sorry, recipes don't tell me about this.

eastie3, Jan 7, 5:41am
I want to know this too,thanks for asking.

malcovy, Jan 7, 6:03am
It certainly will clear once the lemons are ready, give it at least a few weeks but of course may or will be much later.Edited to add that when the liquid is clear there will be sediment at bottom of jar and if you do happen to notice a white mould just scoop it off and add a little more salt and lemon juice, this will only happen if liquid doesn't fully cover lemons.The white mould is completely harmless.

davidt4, Jan 7, 7:22am
My preserved lemons are usually quite cloudy.They taste just fine and keep a long time (if they get the chance).

wisconsin, Jan 7, 10:42pm
Thanks for your advice :-)

annasc, Oct 3, 10:11pm
Thanks that is just what i needed to know as well.

uli, Oct 3, 10:21pm
I have never juiced the lemons. I just cut them and then pack them with salt and whey into a big jar and weigh them down.

Which recipe are you using?

melford, Oct 3, 11:06pm
How do you preserve lemons and what are they used in

2halls, Oct 3, 11:30pm
x1
The salt will clear the liquid over time :-)

melford, Oct 4, 12:26am
anyone for a recipe for preserving lemons (tried and true one if possible please) Also then what are they used for?

uli, Oct 4, 4:27am
As in post #7:
I simply pick lemons, cut them into quarters, stack them into a big jar with salt in between the layers. Press down and put something heavy on top, so the lemons are submerged.

If you have whey or sauerkraut juice or any other fermented vegies then you can add a spoonful to start the fermentation off. Otherwise just wait. Leave in the kitchen for a week or two until fermentation has started and then keep in the fridge.

I am just eating the last ones from last year and will soon start the next crock full.

Use for North African stews etc or make a salsa with parsly and garlic - or simply google for more info.

Edited to add that I am still not sure what poster#1 is going to do with 4 liters of lemon juice? That has nothing to do with preserved lemons as I know them.

uli, Oct 5, 7:32am
bump for wisconsin - still interested to hear what recipe is being used.

lyl_guy, Mar 19, 10:29pm
I've just preserved a couple of lemons.... using an Annabel Langbein recipe.
Sliced the lemons lengthwise into 6 wedges each.Pack into sterile Jar.Add the juice of one lemon, and 2 heaped tsps salt, and a bay leaf.Add oil (bland, such as grapeseed/ ricebran) to cover.Looks lovely and pretty clear so far, with a bit of cloudiness on the bottom where the salt has settled.

allspices, Mar 20, 6:52am
Ok, it is my understanding that preparing the lemons for preserved lemons is greatly enhanced by freezing the segmented lemons first. The theory I think is that the cell structure is deconstructed and this shortens the wait time for best usage. So, then defrost and pack salt into the lemons and continue the recipe. Hope this adds something to the thread.

lyl_guy, Mar 20, 7:22am
Oh yes!I forgot to say that the lemon segments were frozen first!!

lyl_guy, Mar 20, 10:29pm
I've just preserved a couple of lemons. using an Annabel Langbein recipe.
Sliced the lemons lengthwise into 6 wedges each.Pack into sterile Jar.Add the juice of one lemon, and 2 heaped tsps salt, and a bay leaf.Add oil (bland, such as grapeseed/ ricebran) to cover.Looks lovely and pretty clear so far, with a bit of cloudiness on the bottom where the salt has settled.

julie55, Mar 21, 2:58am
I make preserved lemons for a market stall and never juice them. After packing in the quarters you will get some juice and then top sterlised hot jars up with boiling water. I have some now about 3 months old just starting to cloud as the salt brine has turned the skins into a 'flabby rubber' like texture and ready for use. Take them out of the jar and rinse them really well to remove the salt, and peel away the flesh. The trick to keeping them is once the jar is opened they must be fully covered so top up with water of you need to and keep sealed in the refridgerator.

lyl_guy, Mar 21, 7:22am
Oh yes!I forgot to say that the lemon segments were frozen first!

bev00, Mar 21, 10:52am
preserving lemons made easy :)

julie55, Mar 22, 2:58am
I make preserved lemons for a market stall and never juice them. After packing in the quarters you will get some juice and then top sterlised hot jars up with boiling water. I have some now about 3 months old just starting to cloud as the salt brine has turned the skins into a 'flabby rubber' like texture and ready for use. Take them out of the jar and rinse them really well to remove the salt, and peel away the flesh. The trick to keeping them is once the jar is opened they must be fully covered so top up with water of you need to and keep sealed in the refridgerator.

uli, Oct 4, 10:21pm
I have never juiced the lemons. I just cut them and then pack them with salt and whey into a big jar and weigh them down.

Which recipe are you using!

melford, Oct 5, 12:26am
anyone for a recipe for preserving lemons (tried and true one if possible please) Also then what are they used for!

uli, Oct 5, 4:27am
As in post #7:
I simply pick lemons, cut them into quarters, stack them into a big jar with salt in between the layers. Press down and put something heavy on top, so the lemons are submerged.

If you have whey or sauerkraut juice or any other fermented vegies then you can add a spoonful to start the fermentation off. Otherwise just wait. Leave in the kitchen for a week or two until fermentation has started and then keep in the fridge.

I am just eating the last ones from last year and will soon start the next crock full.

Use for North African stews etc or make a salsa with parsly and garlic - or simply google for more info.

Edited to add that I am still not sure what poster#1 is going to do with 4 liters of lemon juice! That has nothing to do with preserved lemons as I know them.

wisconsin, Jan 7, 5:34am
I've just juiced lemons and got about about 4 ltrs of juice to make a couple of large jars of preserved lemons. Is the juice meant to be cloudy - like mine even after straining is the colour of honey- most recipes and jars of preserved lemons I've seen have quite clear liquid ! Does it settle, what should I do please! Sorry, recipes don't tell me about this.

malcovy, Jan 7, 6:03am
It certainly will clear once the lemons are ready, give it at least a few weeks but of course may or will be much later.Edited to add that when the liquid is clear there will be sediment at bottom of jar and if you do happen to notice a white mould just scoop it off and add a little more salt and lemon juice, this will only happen if liquid doesn't fully cover lemons.The white mould is completely harmless.