Lots of Lemons

Page 1 / 2
kiwibubbles, Sep 23, 8:50pm
I got given a big bag of lemons... any ideas on what i can do with them apart from preserving, lemon cakes and lemon curd? lol

darlingmole, Sep 23, 9:22pm
lemon syrup ~
2 C boiling water
2 C sugar
(stir until dissolved, cool down and then add ...)
juice of 4 lemons
1 T citric acid
(allowing to cool 1st b4 adding means you won't kill off vitamin C.Citric acid enhances flavour and is a preservative)

Lemon meringue
lemon and yoghurt cake (have recipe if you want)
slice of lemon in a cup of black tea ... very refreshing
lemon pickle (have recipe if you want)

kiwibubbles, Sep 23, 9:41pm
so what do you do with the lemon syrup?

purplegoanna, Sep 23, 9:44pm
lemoncillo with the rind then save the juice in the freezer until you need it for baking, i freeze mine in 1/4c amounts then i know exactly how much there is when i use it for baking.....

pericles, Sep 23, 10:04pm
lemon honey

fruitluva2, Sep 23, 10:07pm
Lemon loaf, lemon slice, muffins, lemon meringue pie

kiwibubbles, Sep 23, 10:22pm
whats the diff between lemon honey and lemon curd?

winnie231, Sep 23, 10:40pm
No difference between lemon curd & lemon honey kiwibubbles - 2 names for the same thing.

The lemon syrup you use like a barkers syrup to make hot or cold drinks.

greerg, Sep 23, 10:46pm
Darlingmole could you post your lemon pickle recipe please?

kiwibubbles, Sep 23, 11:24pm
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that lemon syrup sounds like a good possibility then - so it would be a concentrate?

harrislucinda, Sep 23, 11:33pm
canmakealemon salsagreatforchickenorfish

greerg, Sep 24, 4:32am
Try the lemon crumb cake posted by cheese-mike in the recent sweetened condensed milk thread.It's delicious.

nfh1, Sep 24, 5:10am
yes do please.I have the most prolific lemon tree here!

nfh1, Sep 24, 5:12am
that sounds interesting as well!There is a limit to how many lemons you can use up in G & T!

chef1964, Sep 24, 6:09am
make limoncello :))

beaker59, Sep 24, 6:18am
definately make Limoncello, its on my "to do" list

nfh1, Sep 24, 6:21am
that sounds an even better idea!!

juliewn, Sep 24, 8:56am
This is a lemon pickle recipe from NZ Gardener's Get Growing email sent free each Friday ( http://www.nzgardener.co.nz/page.asp?id=49 if anyone wants to receive it from them):

"It's a stunning lemon pickle that looks amazing in jars. You need 3 lemons (washed and thinly sliced), 1 small onion (finely sliced), 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, 3/4 cup caster sugar and 1 cup white wine vinegar or spiced vinegar. Blanch lemons three times in pots of boiling water. In a heavy based pot on a low heat, sweat the onions until transparent. Add chilli and cook for 3 mins, being careful not to let it brown. Add lemon, sugar and vinegar, bring to the boil and gently cook for 1/2 hour or until syrupy. Pour into sterilised jars. Gorgeous with a selection of cheddar cheese, pickled onions and bread and butter pickles!" .

nfh1, Sep 24, 10:20am
That sounds lovely - to blanch the lemons do I just put them in boiling water for a couple of minutes?

turksta3, Sep 25, 2:51am
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/03/creamy-lemon-crum
b-squares/
Posted by cheese-mike.

Looks so devine.

turksta3, Sep 25, 3:51am
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/03/creamy-lemon-crum
b-squares/
Posted by cheese-mike.

Looks so devine.

sabbah1, Sep 26, 2:38am
Lemon Cheesecake.
Make a base from ground biscuit crumbs and butter. 125g biscuits makes a thin base / 250g makes quite a thick one. Use as much butter as necessary to bind the crumbs. Press into tin and Chill.
Beat 125g cream cheese with an electric beater until smooth and creamy.
Slowly pour in a can of condensed milk while beating.
Beat well, then slowly pour in 1/2C lemon juice while beating until thickened a bit.
Pour over base and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
Thickness will vary depending on type of lemons.

lizab, Sep 26, 4:00am
Lemon Squash ... Put into a saucepan grated rind of 3 lemons, 750g sugar, 2 x cups freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 tbsp citric acid and 1 tbsp tartaric acid. Heat gently until sugar dissolves. Sieve into a bottle and cool. Keep in fridge. Serve approx 1 part lemon squash to 6 parts water. I made this yesterday and it's fabulous!! Do dilute it well though, as it is pretty sweet.

caroline66, Sep 26, 4:17am
I freeze the juice in ice cube trays for drinks, or you can slice them and put them flat on a tray to freeze then once frozen pop them into a plastic bag and store in the freezer.

jack47, Sep 26, 6:42am
Preserved lemons, yum, use in Moroccan dishes, I am going to attempt to make some, I too have a good haul of lemons to use.
Or even crystalising the skins for decorative desserts. Some of the above recipes sound really good, especially the pickle.