best ever chocolate cake and so easy

Page 3 / 11
hooksie60, Aug 16, 8:35am
oh i forgot to mention goes nice with ice cream as well if you don't ice tip over a bit of chocolate sauce and you are in business... .

timid_, Aug 16, 10:48pm
Is this chocolate mud, or just chocolate?

catlover28, Aug 16, 11:21pm
I liked it but left out the boiling water. I made two cakes so I could freeze one.

dani.odonnell, Aug 17, 8:43pm
Hi there

I made the cake at the weekend, got 2 big cakes out of it, Iced them and served with Whipped cream and Hot Berries to visitors. Went down a treat no one could believe that it was so easy to make
Best recipe ever
Thanks so much

hooksie60, Aug 18, 7:59am
well taste as good as choco mud so you can call it what you like. gets better as the days go by as well unlike other cakes which dry out

molly37, Aug 18, 8:56am
Made this cake on the weekend and shared the recipe since. Made one large cake and 12 muffins which I iced and froze for kids school lunches. Yummy cake, even better the next day. Will definately make again.

timid_, Aug 18, 10:25am
One cup of oil? What kind, olive?

lizab, Aug 18, 8:51pm
I asked hubby what he would like me to bake (got a million cookbooks, but nothing's been jumping out at me lately! ) and he said a chocolate cake! So I'm going to try this recipe out.

Timid - I always use grapeseed oil in baking, not sure what others use?

lizab, Aug 18, 11:30pm
Just pulled it out of the oven. It smells great. It did rise and crack though, but once it's cold I can cover that with icing! Lovely easy recipe thx for posting it :) (it's great when you find recipes you can just chuck everything into the one bowl and go! ! )

westigal, Aug 19, 12:28am
Have many a fond memory of this cake recipe, used to make it years ok.
Here's a variation that it makes it a dream cake

Replace half a cup of the water with a good fruit liquer, blackberry nip, purple death or something in that league. Add a large TBsp of instant coffee to the liquid, stir until dissolves. (I also added cherries or blackberries in syrup, drain first). When the cake is cooked turn it out and with another cup of the liquer gradually drizzle it over the cake, do this in two stages, 1/2 c at a time.

Instead of icing use whipped creanm Grated chocolate and more berries on top.
We used to call this the "Death valley dream" because of the purple death and we lived in the valley' it was certainly to die for.

i suppose you could use fruit juice instead but the liquer did it for us.

hooksie60, Aug 20, 9:37am
I am going to try this sounds good variation thanks westigal

katalin2, Aug 20, 9:56am
Amazing cake- made it on Wednesday night- used half for a large cake which I have turned into a huge black forest cherry cake- cut into 3 , spread with a cherry sauce I had a jar left from last year as well as some choc icing to hold together and sprinkle of alcohol on each layer and covered in thick choc icing to hide the cracks- taking it to a pot luck lunch tomorrow, should serve the 14 people there; the other half I halved again- made a small choc cake which 3 overseas guests and the 2 of us demolished for dinner on Thursday night with bottled peaches and ice cream; and the last portion turned into 12 iced cup cakes for daughter and SIL just back yesterday from 4 weeks in Europe- so I am well pleased with this cake thank you hooksie!

chooky, Aug 20, 11:41am
Thanks hooksie60, made your cake - yummy. I was lucky enough to get it cut up before the kids got home, so I still have half in the freezer they dont know about. I just dusted the first half with icing sugar. It certainly makes a large roasting dish full.

pixietraveller, Aug 20, 8:35pm
Am going to make this today. I have another similar recipe but is very sweet. I cut into serving sized pieces and freeze... is awesome with choc sauce and ice cream for dessert!

hooksie60, Aug 21, 5:10am
with you all enjoying this i think i might just make it tomorrow as haven't made it in a while and feel the need for some chocolate cake yummmmmie

pat56, Aug 21, 5:25am
Mine came out underdone, i. e. doughy. Cut 10 minutes off for fan forced oven & using donut tin. Was this where i went wrong?

hooksie60, Aug 21, 5:35am
I have fan forced oven and works fine for me but i stick to times i gave. always test with skewer ifunsure before revmoving from oven if not making a completeroasting pan size caketimes will vary depending on size etc but i can assure you this is a non fail cake this is recipe is great for kids and very diverse, hope thats off some help

squeakygirl, Aug 21, 10:45am
Started mixing this up then realised I had no eggs so cut the sugar to 1 cup, dissolved 4 tablespoons of golden syrup in the boiling water and it came out fine. Only took 30 minutes in my big roasting dish though. I plan on slicing half of it in 2 and filling with whipped cream mixed with cherries that have been soaking in whisky for 12 months and covering with gnache. That should knock his socks off! ! !

tazzaboy2, Aug 21, 10:54am
Bumping! ! gonna make this. . sounds yum. . be good for bday cakes. . or fathers day coming up to take to dad as he dont look for anything. . so cake be good for afternoon tea :)

rosebud68, Aug 22, 2:40am
going to try this one as well, I bought a giant cupcake mould off one day a few weeks back and have been planning to make my sons first birthday cake in it with little cupcakes around it. This sounds like just the recipe I have been looking for as I have been trying to find one that would make enough batter for the giant cupcake... will give it a try this week and report back how it goes in the mould

hooksie60, Aug 22, 2:54am
well rose bud you have definitly found the right recipe this makes i very large cake or 2 medium sized and then you even get enough fro muffuns as well ... . I have just made some today so the family are smiling

gardie, Aug 22, 7:52am
I baked this today and it was very well received. I cut it in half and put one piece in the freezer, i cut the remaining half into 2 and gave one away and the family have not yet finished the last quarter. We used to own a coffee shop and had a "Shop chocolate cake" (as it was know by the family) which is simply divine however I think this one could replace it. I cooked it till it bounced back when touched but a toothpick inside came out with a trace (not totally clean). It rose well and cracked then once cool shrunk back till flat with no sign of the crack. It looks very moist but is well cooked. I can't wait to hear feedback from my colleagues. I am known as 'the baker' there. ( Will need to be next time I cook it though - I need the frozen half for sons birthday later in week).

gardie, Aug 22, 7:53am
The boiling water totally changes the recipe - makes it fudgy and delicious.

hooksie60, Aug 22, 8:28pm
Yes it surely does gardie and yesterday when i made it i changed 1of the cups of water for 1 cup of boysenberry juice from a can of boysenberrys ( and yes i did boil the boysenberry juice first) and oh my god is so devine

catlover28, Aug 22, 9:54pm
I left out an egg and put in jam instead. Lovely.