I've been making scones for years, my Mum's recipe

elsielaurie1, Dec 5, 7:05am
The other week a dear elderly friend called as I was making a batch . She stunned me when she said -'Bannocks, I haven't seen them for years'!Bannocks! I had no idea what she meant. But when I told her my Mum used to cook them on the top of the coal range on a 'girdle' iron,yes, she said, Bannocks.Well I never.After all these years I never knew what I was baking! That would probably answer the question as to why, when the electric range came along, she always placed them in a very hot oven, on a HOT tray.Anyone else know of baking Bannocks.Apparantly it's an old Scottish way of baking.

hazedaze, Dec 5, 7:13am
Just a quick google, but theres heaps of info out there as well as 'images'. and I'm sure each recipe differs 'heaps'.Family to family as it were.
http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_bannocks.htm

indy95, Dec 5, 11:57pm
My goodness, elsielaurie, this brings back some fond memories ! My Scots granny always made her scones that way and I'm sure Iremember her using that name. She also made her "drop scones".pikelets to us. on her old cast iron "girdle" and they were always beautifully light. I have never quite been able to make pikelets of that quality to my great annoyance ! It's also interesting that you mentioned putting scones on a hot oven tray to bake. I have always done that because it was what my mother did and she obviously kept up the traditions taught to her by her mother.

nik12, Dec 6, 11:50am
Wonder if that's the same as 'girdle scones' like my Nana made. She did them in the electric fry pan in my day! Was circle of dough, cut into wedges then put in pan in a circle.Can't remember if she turned them, but they were slightly brown on both sides, so guess she must have!

elsielaurie1, Dec 6, 10:34pm
I guess they must be. My Mum called them 'Girdle Scones'. I've been corrected that they were 'gRiddle' scones.I'll stick with 'Girdle' as it is more in keeping with her Scottish heritage.

elliehen, Dec 6, 10:43pm
Also, with a bit of dried fruit, known as "Singing Hinnies", because you turn them over when they start to sizzle and sing.

Here's Nigella's recipe:

Ingredients

4oz plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1oz butter
1oz lard
1/2oz currants
sour milk

Method

Sieve together flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
Rub in the fats to make fine 'breadcrumbs'.
Add currants and mix. Mix to a soft dough with the sour milk.
Turn onto a floured board.
Roll into a round 7" - 8" thick. Cut into halves or quarters for easier handling.
Heat a girdle (griddle) and grease it, suet is best.
Bake for about 3 minutes on each side or until pale golden brown and firm.

nauru, Dec 6, 11:18pm
Depends where you come from as to whether they are known as girdle or griddle scones. Singing Hinny is from NE England and the singing refers to the sizzling of the lard when it's cooking on the griddle.