Ideas for grinding pumpkin seeds into powder?

maia13, Nov 21, 1:39am
I would like to grind up pumpkin and sunflower seeds into a fine powder to mix with my yoghurt. However, I don't know if there is a machine or tool that can do it! Looked at some blenders but the seeds maybe too small. Saw a coffee grinder and perhaps that might work! Can anyone help or add some advice! My teeth are not made for grinding pumpkin seeds!

pericles, Nov 21, 1:39am
what about a pepper grinder

geldof, Nov 21, 2:26am
I got a coffee grinder from K Mart for $15.It does my spices and seeds really well.Won't do huge quantities, but it is fast so not much effort to reload it a few times.

nauru, Nov 21, 3:49am
I use a coffee grinder too.

maia13, Nov 21, 6:39am
Thanks for that. I was in K MART today and saw the grinder and thought about purchasing it but I think I will buy it now. Thanks for the idea.

maia13, Nov 21, 6:40am
Hmm.have not tried that but thanks for the idea!

uli, Nov 21, 6:43am
There are "coffee and spice" grinders.
Check it out online and compare the features.
Mine works a treat - even on difficult herbs etc.

beaker59, Nov 21, 2:31pm
I use a food processor it works best if the seeds are frozen I get a very fine grind thats Pumkins seeds haven't tried sunflower seeds. I think the sunflower seeds may turn more into a peanut butter type consistency maybe if you mixed them with Pumkinseed that could work.

maia13, Nov 23, 12:19am
Well I bought my coffee grinder from KMart. Both types of seeds were grinded into a powder individually and tool about 5 seconds. Easy as!

fisherlures, Nov 23, 12:41am
A "Ninja" will do it easily.I have replaced my magic bullet with a Ninja from overseas about a year or so ago and see they are now on the NZ market.Versatile machine does all my dried herbs etc . soups drinks smoothies pasta sauces mix cake batter etc etc etc.
http://www.jollymom.com/2009/10/ninja-kitchen-master-prep-review-food.html

uli, Nov 23, 1:08am
hi fisher - is that you now under fisherlures!

wildflower, Nov 23, 2:39am
I regularly do sunflower seeds in my coffee grinder for LSA.

fisherlures, Nov 23, 3:18am
Hey uli. yes. Im making stickbait and popper lures as a hobby. as most of the work/maintenance around the house is complete.beats twiddling my thumbs and when the garden and glasshouse is all up to date. gives me something to do. Nice to take on something never attempted before like turning wood and have surprised myself with my efforts. All going to be released in the new year(website) but in the interim am selling some lures and all things fishing related. I still come here on occasion to see whats what. and see what others are contributing to these recipe threads.I dont sort of feel my garden/veges are as good as last year as everything is taking its time from germination to sowing. but thats oks as I'm still trying to get through all the frozen veges from last march/april harvest.
Hows things down there. has your health improved.!I have had a few blackouts /stokes so need to take it easy so i'm told. I'm hanging out to get the boat sorted to go fishing. .

uli, Nov 23, 4:50am
Oi - not good to hear you had some strokes - I hope youre improving though!

Myself am improving very slowly (despite ACC) and with a huge financial cost (to my own pocket). They simply do not do rehab any more - it is all about "back to work" - if you cannot - tough! - they try to find "other ways" to exit you. You would be surprised how they operate nowadays. Luckily I have a lot of their internal directives on paper and can prove it now what they are told to do .

uli, Nov 23, 4:50am
In the gardens - well it has been so cold that the only thing that always works are the courgettes. I plant 3 plants every first week in September and they are now producing about 10 courgettes per week. Apart from that - the beans didn't germinate twice - the third time I planted them into pots in the glasshouse and they did germinate, now I have to plant them out.

The cucumbers were sowed in August in the house, then out onto the seedling benches . and took until now to make more than 2 leaves .

It is one of the coldest springs since I came to NZ actually!

fisherlures, Nov 27, 2:40am
Yes I agree. I decided to plant out and stuff got stunted.the stuff in glasshouse got cooked until i put shade cloth over the roof and the temp dropped from 41c down to 33c.( I have irrigation misters on timer to keep the air cool but didn't help much)so now like you, second time round from punnets in glasshouse, everything is booming and going great.Beetroot with balsamic seems to be getting a hiding for meals
and dont think ill do any bottling this year.I'm still battling produce from last season in the freezer.so we are not buying anything but using up what we have first. Same with meat. using EVERYTHING to clear out . great , as food bills have been a lot lower and i will do a one off big replacement shop just before xmas.

clueless8, Nov 28, 5:50am
if the spice grinder cant get it small enough, try gently frying it , no oil/butter, for a few mins they puff up a bit and get really crunchy so yummy, we do both the pumpkin and sunflower seeds for salads and just munching on, so good to eat