Christmas hams may be hard to come by

Page 3 / 4
uli, Nov 22, 4:05am
I wonder if you are just stubborn or plain stupid - why not read my post before you comment!

I said that to have MILK and MILK Products someone needs to kill a calf every year.

If the vegetarians are not doing it - then do they think othes should do the bloody work for them - or what!

It seems not to get into your head (maybe due to not enough fatty acids!) that without calves there is NO milk for vegetarians!

Read up on how mammals procreate before you answer stupidly . time and again.

uli, Nov 22, 4:07am
And great to see that many here will eat what others kill and feel "sick" at the idea of doing it themselves. Good luck when the supermarket closes down :)

kay141, Nov 22, 4:26am
Sorry uli but it is not necessary to kill every calf every year. I grew up in the country, have been milking cows since I was 5 and we never killed a calf. They were usually sold to another local farmer to breed from. Only bull calves were either killed or castrated but some were kept for breeding as well.
BTW, I object to being called stupid. And as for your other post, the chances of the supermarkets closing down is extremely remote. Like Chch, there could be shortages in times of natural disaster but humans are very resourceful and generous so things usually get resolved.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 4:27am
Actually it was you who didn't express yourself very clearly

uli, Nov 22, 4:33am
Are you really THAT naive - or just playing at it!
If you sell a calf then someone else is killing it of course. Or do you really think that every calf of every cow is going to live life until he or she dies at age 20 to 35! Then we would have the place covered in cows and bulls 2 meters deep by now!

What are you trying to say here! Sorry but I cannot take your ramblings serious anymore.

uli, Nov 22, 4:38am
You quoted me saying: ".vegetarians of course as they still think we can do the "dirty work" for them killing and eating the baby calves so they can get their dairy products. or the chickens so they can get their eggs . ."

What is NOT clearly expressed there!
I can express it VERY much more clearly if you like .

sarahb5, Nov 22, 4:41am
Be my guest - I knew exactly what you meant but your sentence was ambiguously worded and could literally have been misconstrued as "killing and eating . chickens so they can get the eggs" - is English not your first language!

kay141, Nov 22, 4:42am
Oh dear, I give up but I do wonder who rambles.

uli, Nov 22, 4:44am
You are slow to catch on - yes English is not my first language.

uli, Nov 22, 4:48am
Great to hear you give up as I will not answer your silly posts any more. If you think all the calves born to provide export and local dairy products will live a full and happy life then you are so deluded as not to be taken serious. Why not admit to yourself that 90% of all calves are killed so NZ farmers can export dairy products!

If that is too bad for you to consider then go vegan and stay clear. But do not turn every post of mine around to your liking. The reality is not bendable to your worldview.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 4:49am
Explains everything - thanks .

uli, Nov 22, 4:52am
You are welcome.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 4:56am
Oh tut mein Gott Sie bringen wirklich Arroganz in ein ganzes anderes Niveau, nicht Sie!

uli, Nov 22, 5:04am
Lovely translation by google which says nothing at all really . so I will put you onto my no-reply list too sarahb5 - especially since you now have so much time to stalk TM all day.

samanya, Nov 22, 5:16am
Ever heard the Robbie Burns quote!
"“O wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as ithers see us!"
(he was Scottish, hence the language)
I think that you are probably clever enough to work it out.

toadfish, Nov 22, 5:37am
Me too VK lol well put. If I can add my 2 cents worth people. some people like to "debate" for sport. don't indulge them. to quote a famous quote.

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.
George Bernard Shaw

toadfish, Nov 22, 5:39am
I have german friends who would be appalled to think lack of manners was a "cultural" thing.

toadfish, Nov 22, 5:39am
I have European friends who would be appalled to think lack of manners was a "cultural" thing.

toadfish, Nov 22, 5:43am
In saying that, I am the proud owner of 3 sheep, brought small (lambs) and will be in our freezer when the time is right.Don't ask me when that will be as luckily we have delightful neighbours who are taking these "new to rural" people under there wings and showing us the ropes.My veggie garden is looking amazing.so the good life hear we come. albeit. tip toeing our way.

kuaka, Nov 22, 8:18am
And of course the other problem is that not everyone in NZ lives in/on a property where rearing their own meat is possible.How many people live in apartments!I can't imagine them wanting to raise their own pork, beef, lamb etc on the tiny little balconies that pass for outdoor living areas.Time for everyone to be nice to each other and accept that we are all different and have different lifestyles.It doesn't mean that one lifestyle choice is right and another is wrong.

And back to the original post, if there is a shortage of hams this year - and that is by no means definite - we will get by and live to see another day.

mwood, Nov 22, 11:02am
ha ha that sounds like "Yes we have no bananas"

griffo4, Nov 22, 9:16pm
As a taxpayer and farmer l would like to point out that not all calves are killed as dairy farmers keep about 25-30% heifer calves as replacements and many bull calves and beef calves of both sexes are reared on
Yes l know they will be killed later on to provide meat for everyone who wants to eat it, but they have a life before then

We are farmers not to be confused by farmer owners, who employ others to do the work, we farm our animals in the best way we can do for them and yes l am there when we kill something for our freezer as l want to know that their demise was quick and clean and no suffering, a bullet to the right place and they are dead by the time they hit the ground, not nice to some but that is how it is done

And l bought a NZ Pork ham yesterday and put it in the freezer for the family coming home for Christmas as l like to support the other NZ farmers

Reading some of the labels yesterday l could see that the raw pork had been imported into the country and then cooked here, that is really scary because they could bring any sort of diseases that could affect our farms and the public,

do you know where that pork comes from!

vintagekitty, Nov 22, 9:25pm
That sounds so nice, ah, the good life. See if I did that I would have flocks of elderly sheep, etc as I could not kill them and I would be getting the vet in whenever one looked off lol. AND still buying my meat from stores

sarahb5, Nov 22, 10:18pm
I didn't mean lack of manners - I meant the language misunderstandings.I'm European too but my googled German has done the trick - thank goodness!

parsondian, Nov 22, 10:49pm
Well for the first time in years I'm considering a nice ham on the bone for xmas, organic & free range would be ideal.I'm not to sure where this thread leaves me with my plans now.I just don't want to do jumbo prawns another year.