Christmas hams may be hard to come by

Page 4 / 4
griffo4, Nov 23, 12:18am
Parsondian Buy a NZ produced ham and you will be fine, they do taste alot better and are well looked after

porka1, Nov 23, 12:31am
This is the thing that our pork industry has spent nearly two millions dollars to try and stop the distribution of imported raw pork known to carry PRRS ,the worlds worst pig disease.The industry has no problems with importing so long as it is processed before sale as is the present protocol as this removes the risk.

kay141, Nov 23, 1:08am
This morning, I ordered my piece. I know it will be NZ pork as my butcher uses nothing else but it will not be free range or organic. They are out of my price range . Even if I could afford them, they only seem to come in halves and wholes. Too much for me.

uli, Nov 23, 1:12am

marblicious, Nov 23, 4:53am
There is no way of telling if a ham is made from NZ pork or not. NZ pork has been scarce this year. Your local butcher on the corner will tell you whatever you want to hear and some of the bigger producers who claim to use ony NZ pork are having you on as well.

sarahb5, Nov 23, 4:56am
LOL - that's the closest thing to the truth that I've read in this thread!

kay141, Nov 23, 4:57am
They can not put a sticker on it saying NZ Pork if it is not or they are risking prosecution. Perhaps the solution is to use an honest butcher.

uli, Nov 23, 4:59am
Of course!
Are you going to figure it out and prosecute them!
Haha!

kay141, Nov 23, 5:06am
Another nasty comment but to be expected.

I think the prosecution is for MAF or some other Govt. dept to do. I know some have been prosecuted in previous years. I don't really care as long as it taste good. If something is going to kill me in 20 years, so be it. By that time, I will have reached a good age.

uli, Nov 23, 5:12am
So you are saying they "can't put on a sticker saying it is NZ Pork" - and then if you find the opposite you are going to do nothing to prosecute all the ones that cheat!

And if I say so you feel I am making "nasty comments"!

How hilarious is that! I can't care less if people sell stuff which is not what it is - simply because I do not buy it anyway - YOU are the ones who buy it LOL.

YOU are the one on the high horse saying they shouldn't, couldn't, mustn't and that SOMEONE (not yourself of course - you wouldn't want to dirty your own hands typing a complaint .) must then prosecute the cheats.

Great - keep up the good work.

marblicious, Nov 23, 5:26am
We don't have to declare the country of origin here in NZ. There absolutely no one policing the labelling of pork in NZ. Hell if you go here you can order yourself some labels and put them on your lamb chops if you want http://www.theextraordinarykitchen.co.nz/resource-order-form.aspx

While the actual manufacturing of pork legs into hams is done in NZ I won't have a problem but watch out if we start importing hams already processed. (continental product aside)

uli, Nov 23, 5:36am
You would be surprised what those pork legs were fed in Belgium or the US before they come here LOL - and you would not want to eat them either I am sure!

knowsley, Nov 23, 6:12am
I believe the current de rigueur is speed dial on the phone.

kay141, Nov 23, 6:18am
Why don't you go away and stalk someone else.
I never said I wouldn't complain, I said I wouldn't prosecute. I certainly couldn't afford to bring a private prosecution and only the appropriate authorities have the ability to bring one.

In the meantime, I will trust my butcher.

uli, Nov 23, 6:48am
I hope your butcher is worthy of your trust LOL :)

I am not stalking anyone here.
I do always answer to bullsh*t though :)

*waves to knowsley*

knowsley, Nov 23, 7:38am
*waves a finger back*