Alison Holst's Two Egg Christmas Cake

calista, Jul 7, 11:14pm
Does anyone have this recipe please?It appeared in her "Kitchen diary 10" according to an old TM listing and also in one of the big hardcover books she published.

There is a copy in the NZ Room of the Central Library in Christchurch, but of course it's currently in accessible.(I want my library back!)

TIA - fingers and toes crossed.Birthday cake for a friend.

lindylambchops1, Jul 7, 11:31pm
Have you tried Alison Holst's website?
Try this http://www.holst.co.nz/Recipes/Little%20Pineapple%20Christmas%20Cakes
or go to her home page & search from the link

245sam, Jul 7, 11:36pm
calista, I have most of Alison's books, including all of her Kitchen Diaries - will post the recipe for you asap.:-))

lindylambchops1, Jul 7, 11:39pm
good one Sam sorry I couldn't help further I am still searching for it.

245sam, Jul 7, 11:49pm
x1
Alison Holst’s TWO EGG CHRISTMAS CAKE
125 g butter
½ cup brown sugar
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp each ofmixed spice,cinnamonandginger
1 cup flour
2 large eggs
¼ tsp each ofvanilla,almondandlemon essence
2 cups sultanas
1 cup currants
½-1 cup any dried fruit
2 tbsp sherryorspirits

Cream the soft (but not melted) butter and brown sugar using a food processor fitted with the plastic blade if available.
Mix the baking soda, spices, and flour.
Add the eggs one at a time, with a spoonful of flour with each, to prevent curdling.Add half the flour and the essences. Add remaining flour mixed with the fruit, and the liquid.Stir to mix well.Turn into an 18cm round or 15cm square tin lined with one or two layers of greaseproof paper.
Bake at150°Cfor1½-2 hours, or until a skewer comes out clean.Sprinkle 2-3 tbsp extra sherry or spirits over the hot cake if desired.Leave at least 2 days before cutting.:-))

lindylambchops1, Jul 8, 12:21am
Yay great I will copy & paste that too.Thanks Sam!

calista, Jul 8, 2:03am
Thanks Sam.The challenge is hiding it from the recipient for 2 days.

Lindy I Googled and the only reference i found was an old TM auction. I've made it once before and it didn't make a very deep cake in an 18cm round tin ( more like a slice with delusions of grandeur).I ended up cooking it in a 14cm square tin.

I don't know whether I did something wrong but i'm going to use the 14cm tin again.I'll let you know how it turns out - I believe in learning from other people's mistakes, much easier than making your own (-: