Christmas hams may be hard to come by

Page 2 / 4
bedazzledjewels, Nov 20, 11:27pm
Do you really think dead pigs have feelings! ;-)

porka1, Nov 20, 11:59pm
The only free range pigs Havoc have are their breeding sows and their progeny till weaning time usually about 4 weeks old.The weaners are then transferred to barns for finishing to slaughter.It is these pigs that are processed into hams.

elliehen, Nov 21, 1:14am
I am sure all animals killed for food have a premonition of imminent death, even if you sneak up behind your pet pig with a sticking knife.

elliehen, Nov 21, 1:17am
Strange that some meat-eaters seem to need to convince themselves that their animals are happy frolickers.

A dead pig is a dead pig whichever way you attempt to romanticise it.

sarahb5, Nov 21, 2:22am
My comments were totally tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic

marblicious, Nov 21, 3:05am
I'ts really only the organic/ free range lot that try justify it. The rest of us will eat anything!

wicked_garden, Nov 21, 3:27am
So.what's your point here! Do you object to animals being dead!

elliehen, Nov 21, 3:37am
Anyone can eat anything they like, dead or alive.even Fear Factor stuff if it makes them happy ;)

I am just mildly amused that some people feel the need to romanticise the business by saying they will only eat animals they have "made friends with"etc

elliehen, Nov 21, 3:41am
.and points well-taken ;)

uli, Nov 21, 6:28am
I do not need to get a ham as I do not have Xmas :)

I posted this here for you "others" who buy meat. I don't.

Also I never "stick" a pig . AND it needs some time from pig to ham . but obviously you have no idea how pig and ham are connected.

uli, Nov 21, 6:34am
The OP says that I couldn't care less sarahb5 - especially in the light that YOU couldn't afford buying such creatures anyway from what I read on the boards.

I have never in my life killed any life for others to enjoy. I kill what I eat and I would recommend that you do too - so you have an idea of what you are doing and why!

Otherwise join the vegans!

Not the vegetarians of course as they still think we can do the "dirty work" for them killing and eating the baby calves so they can get their dairy products. or the chickens so they can get their eggs .

Good luck!

knowsley, Nov 21, 7:04am
Seems the Grinch is here early.

kay141, Nov 21, 7:21am
Rather silly statement as the majority of the population must buy their meat. Also I have never heard of chickens being killed for eggs. Most poultry farms do not have fertilised eggs nor is a rooster necessary for egg production.

samanya, Nov 21, 8:04am
How arrogant of you, uli, assuming that I don't know about the process from pig to ham!
& you, it seems have no idea howhunters kill a pig in the wild!

uli, Nov 21, 8:25am
I have lots of ideas how hunters kill their wild pork - and I wouldn't do what they do either!

I have a very good idea how I kill my own pigs

. and I have a very clear idea how long it takes to make pork into ham.

If you know the same then good for you - and what is then your problem with me exactly! Let me know and we can address it .

uli, Nov 21, 8:30am
I do not think that it is my problem that "the majority of the population must buy their meat". That is their own decision really. Don't tell me that there are "circumstances" . I also have those . LOL :)

I have not said that chickens are killed for their eggs.

Please read my post with your brain switched to "on" - if you want to comment.

I said that I am not fond of vegetarians who think that I should do the "dirty work" for them so they can have their milk products (= kill the calves and eat them) or eat the hens that have finished laying (nowadays 15 months after birth in a normal chicken prison!).

kay141, Nov 21, 7:10pm
I doubt that vegetarians want someone to kill the calves so they can eat them. As for the majority of the population having to buy their food, there are several points to that. 1/ There is not enough land for everyone to do it. 2/ The country could not run without people in the cities to do various types of work. 3/ You could not live your "ideal" life without those people. So I suggest you stop telling everyone how they should get their meat and get realalistic.

sarahb5, Nov 21, 8:55pm
You forgot number 4 - I don't want to breed my own dinner - I can't think of anything worse than getting down and dirty with livestock and have absolutely no inclination to do so but I am perfectly happy to eat the fruits of someone else's labours in this country or elsewhere and pay for it!

kuaka, Nov 21, 9:06pm
I for one would not be able to rear and then kill and then eat anything, be it cow, lamb, duck, pig, chicken, or anything else.It just wouldn't sit right with me.I know where it comes from and I'm happy to eat it, but fishing for my fresh snapper is as close to nature as I want to get when it comes to my food.

elliehen, Nov 21, 9:09pm
We all rely on the fruits of the labours of others in every aspect of our lives.

As poet John Donne said: "No man is an island".

vintagekitty, Nov 22, 12:44am
same. I want my meat on a wee plastic tray thanks. I would love to have livestock, but we live in a city and are too busy working to pay tax to support those bludging on benefits whilst raising their organic, free range produce.

vintagekitty, Nov 22, 12:44am
same. I want my meat bought from somewhere on a wee plastic tray thanks. I would love to have livestock, but we live in a city and are too busy working to pay tax to support those bludging on benefits whilst raising their organic, free range produce. And I could not kill them, ever.

vintagekitty, Nov 22, 12:53am
uli wrote:

The OP says that I couldn't care less sarahb5 - especially in the light that YOU couldn't afford buying such creatures anyway from what I read on the boards.

Haha sarah, you are singled out there:)

kay141, Nov 22, 1:02am
I did too but I had to go our so needed to cut it short. I could think of a few more as well but no time.

PS and all this reminds me, I had better get to the butcher and order my piece. Don't care where it comes from as long as I can afford it and it tastes good.

sarahb5, Nov 22, 2:46am
I know - I feel so special!(but not in that "speshul" way my kids think .)