Homegrown new potatoes - when boiling.

kaddiew, Nov 11, 8:09pm
is it better to put them into boiling salted water, or into cold salted water and bring to the boil! Other than perhaps altering the cooking time, is one way better than the other! (Been growing and cooking my own for many years; just curious.) Thanks.

weezil, Nov 11, 8:14pm
now where did I read that if it grows under the soil its always cold water,and salt optional I guess.

carlosjackal, Nov 11, 8:24pm
I always add chopped garlic to the water when boiling potatoes. result = garlic infused potatoes. Very subtle and very nice.

carlosjackal, Nov 11, 8:24pm
I always add chopped garlic to the water when boiling potatoes aswell as salt. result = garlic infused potatoes. Very subtle and very nice. Sometimes I add mint instead of garlic - sometimes both.

pericles, Nov 11, 8:25pm
cold water, salt after they have come to the boil

holly-rocks, Nov 11, 8:26pm
Yes I have been told this too, and if it grows above soil, put into boiling water.

kaddiew, Nov 11, 8:42pm
Thanks folks - cold water it is! I usually drain the almost-cooked potatoes and let them steam finish with lid on, and add a sprig of mint then, not during cooking. You get an undiluted "mint hit".

mwood, Nov 12, 12:08am
Every now and then don't salt the water then you can keep some in the fridge to use as enriched "water" for your home baked bread.

maynard9, Nov 12, 12:12am
I never boil potatoes - always do them in the steamer.You never have any problems then with them being mushy or breaking up.

My electric steamer was one of the best appliances I ever bought - wouldn't be without it now.

kaddiew, Nov 12, 1:26am
Good tip, thanks!

accroul, Nov 12, 1:45am
I was watching Masterchef one night & one of the judges said that.

elliehen, Nov 12, 2:58am
There used to be an old kitchen saying about potatoes, "old cold, new hot" for the water.

nik12, Nov 12, 11:33am
My flatmate and I used to argue about boiling the jug first then putting that in the pot (I didn't agree). but I saw something recently about potato's and important to put them in cold and bring to the boil.Can't remember exactly why, but she said they wouldn't cook in the middle if put into hot because the outside would sort of freeze up.